SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Smith-Corona 03-A3 Restore
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith-Corona 03-A3 Restore Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I have a sporterized Smith-Corona 03-A3 I'd like to un-sporterize and get it back into its original configuration.

I've been perusing Google for parts sources. I mainly need to replace:

1. Barrel. It's been blued, sights removed, aftermarket brake installed, etc.

2. Stock. It's been cut down on both ends.

3. Rear sight assembly. It's gone. Some kind of flip up has been installed in the middle of the barrel.

4. Bolt. While it looks pretty close, the handle is now thin and square instead of a ball. It isn't very comfy to use.

Anyone know of some sources? I've only found scattered parts here and there.

Though it would be nice to replace with original parts, I'm not that picky. I saw that CMP can replace the barrel with a new Criterion. My primary concern is getting it back into the right form.

This is only my second old school Cosmoline type rifle. I just finished a complete teardown/reassembly of my inherited M1 carbine. I actually managed to get the bolt back together without the special tool. Lots of cursing, but no tool.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly it sounds too far gone to bother with. A current CMP rifle ( available at the south or north store ( is a round $700. The shape you describe, you would need at least as much money and possibly more, to get it back to military trim. Buy a rifle with more potential and less damage, or just get one from CMP

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention there is some sentimental value with this one. I want to keep it and still restore it because it just isn't shootable now.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Numrichs is going to have some of the parts, check eBay for a stock. You almost might be best off finding an 03-a3 that hasn't been butchered up and pulling from it. I know around here you can find them for 400ish. Nothing special, they shoot, but that's about it.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You might keep an eye out on the CMP forum for a drill rifle. These will have a welded chamber, but you could scavenge all the other parts besides the barrel from that. Just make sure it hasn't been chromed or too heavily refinished.

Original bolts and rear sights will be easy to source. Original stocks can be pricey, but they're occasionally available. New old stock barrels are out there too if you're patient.

Otherwise, there are new production barrels available from Criterion and others. And if you're going with a new production barrel anyway, then it won't hurt the value to go with a new production stock set from somewhere like Stockys or Boyds.

If you decide to go the new commercial barrel/stock route, the CMP will provide and install a new barrel and stock for the fairly reasonable price of $675, or $875 if you want the whole thing reparkerized too. It'll be a better shooter and look prettier than an original rifle, but won't have the same collector's value.

Just understand that either way you go, you're not going to be saving any money by restoring this one. Restoring a sporterized M1903A3 that is this far gone is a labor of love, not a smart financial decision.

If you're on a budget and want to make the smart financial decision, and don't have any particular sentimental attachment to this particular rifle, then I'd buy a different decent condition non-sporterized M1903A3 for $700-$800, and part out whatever is salvageable from this one to sell and recoup a bit of the cost. I'm guessing you should be able to salvage at least the receiver with cutoff, trigger, and trigger guard/magazine assembly, along with some of the bolt parts, and potentially the buttplate.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Good info, all! Thanks.

posted Hide Post
It sounds like it is too far gone to me. Save it and shoot it in it’s current form as an heirloom. Save up your pennies for a decent SC 03-A3.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Check your email.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
It sounds like it is too far gone to me. Save it and shoot it in it’s current form as an heirloom. Save up your pennies for a decent SC 03-A3.

The main issue is that I have no front sight. There is a hole where an aftermarket post used to be, but it is gone. All that I have is that flip up sight that was also aftermarket. The receiver has no tapped holes for a hunting scope either.

quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Check your email.

Replied to. Thank you!

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
good news that the receiver has not been tapped,

original stocks etc may be a bit pricey, but replacements can be had,

boyds used to make them but they seem to have stopped, I cannot remember who else,
northridge has some but they are pricey,

either way you go, you can recoup some funds by selling the sported stock and barrel on ebay , that stuff does sell,

someone mentioned CMP services

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-s...he-1903-springfield/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Didn't consider someone may want to buy the sporterized leftovers. Good to know.

After looking around, CMP may be a good place to have a Criterion barrel installed and get everything re-parkerized.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They'll also fit a new stock too.

Just understand that you'll be spending the same or more on having the CMP bring this one back to life with a new barrel, new stock, and repark as you would on a decent condition unmolested M1903A3. And the unmolested M1903A3 will continue to appreciate in collectors value, compared to the rebuilt M1903A3 with commercial parts.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Just understand that you'll be spending the same or more on having the CMP bring this one back to life with a new barrel, new stock, and repark as you would on a decent condition unmolested M1903A3. And the unmolested M1903A3 will continue to appreciate in collectors value, compared to the rebuilt M1903A3 with commercial parts.

Ding,ding,ding......Winner.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

On another member’s recommendation, I sent the rifle to Warpath Vintage run by Chuck.

He installed a new GI barrel and reparkerized all of it. It is shipping out tomorrow. I inherited this rifle from Grandpa, who unfortunately just passed away on Thanksgiving. It will be nice to have it shootable.

I’ll post before/after photos when it arrives.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandpa.

Awesome news about your SC though! I own one that is a mixmaster that has a ‘C’ stock and it is my favorite rifle! They are great shooters and worth putting the $$ into to restore them as much as practical. I am sure you will love it!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'C' stocks are sweet.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I can attest to this. I paid $844 for a 1943 Smith Corona with a practically new barrel but it did have a replacement stock at some point.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Before:

After:

posted Hide Post
A definite improvement.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post