SIGforum
DSA SA58 Range Ready model - Any owners out there?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9240076554

April 15, 2019, 12:49 PM
YooperSigs
DSA SA58 Range Ready model - Any owners out there?
In a moment of insanity, I sold my Browning marked FN/FAL. In order to redeem myself, I have been considering this:
DSA SA58 Range Ready Model.
So... Anyone have one? Shot one? How about accuracy? Reliability? Durability? Factory support?
Its built on a Brazilian receiver, right?
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
April 15, 2019, 03:03 PM
hrcjon
quote:
DSA SA58 Range Ready Model

I don't know anything about the quality of current production DSA. My older ones have been fine and they have been doing this for quite awhile. Since they advertise current production as US made I would doubt it has a Brazilian receiver.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
April 15, 2019, 05:41 PM
2Adefender
You sold a Mercedes gull wing SL 300, and you’re in the market for a Chevy Cobalt Frown

New production DSA FALs are built on their house made cast receivers, not Brazilian forged ones. If you get the range-ready model, I would recommend going with an 18-inch barrel.

DSA quality control in recent years has been hit or miss. And resale value may not be all that great. I hope you get a good one, and they do come with a warranty.

You may be better off searching for an Imbel-made Springfield SAR-48, or an early DSA rifle built from military surplus parts. But finding one will not be quick or easy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
April 15, 2019, 09:07 PM
YooperSigs
Yep... one of the bigger mistakes I have made, gun wise. It was a fantastic shooter. And even had an original STANAG mount!
Other really great guns I screwed up and sold:
IMI Galil and Steyr AUG.
I am in no rush to buy, so I will look for the Springfield. Seems like a good suggestion.
Thanks!

April 15, 2019, 10:40 PM
powermad
Ouch..
I regret selling my FAL, just an Imbel build I did but to have another like it is pretty costly these days.
Just about to the point where you may as well spend a bit more and get one that has FN engraved on it.
April 16, 2019, 10:36 AM
2Adefender
I have a DSA Para 18” that was built to my order back in 2011. It is awesome. A number of other members have DSA rifles as well, and like them. I just don’t know if the same quality is there in 2019. Do some more research if you decide to get a new DSA FAL.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
April 16, 2019, 01:30 PM
YooperSigs
Thanks, guys!
I will research a little more before I do anything.
And if I do buy one, I wont sell it!.

April 18, 2019, 07:41 PM
Dyingtime
I have an older Para with a 18 barrel. I think DSA builds a great rifle

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"
April 21, 2019, 09:17 PM
Outnumbered
2Adefender nailed it in regards to DSA's current receivers. I have an older forged DSA R1 Rhodesian receiver (2012 I believe) with a mixed SA/RA kit on it. Sweet rifle, but I wouldn't buy any current DSA rifles/receivers. Their new SA58s are definitely built on new, cast DSA receivers, not forged Brazilian Imbels.

To be honest, cast vs forged isn't the real issue. Coonan USED to make excellent cast receivers, then went to out of spec junk, then I believe out of business. DSA has always been hit or miss with QC, but would usually try and try and try again until it was right. At least with their pre-built riFALs, they work out most of the bugs and test fire them before shipping out - mostly.

I assume you're on falfiles? If you watch the Marketplace there, you can easily pick up a really nice already built Imbel on Imbel or even STG kit to have ARS Gunplumber twist up for you, for $1500 or less, if you shop right.

Edit to add: Well, I MIGHT could be persuaded to give DSA's new Israeli "Hebrew War Hammer" a chance; that thing is bad-ass!