SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    10-22 trigger job
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10-22 trigger job Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Ive got two 10-22's and one has a Volquartzen trigger and one has a factory trigger...

Of course the factory one is like a brick...
anyone ever DIY?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the Ruger website. They have recently began production of a "custom" grade drop in trigger for the 10-22.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have 3 10-22s in the family. One has a Timney trigger, the other two have just a few trigger components. It’s been awhile, fairly inexpensive.

The people at rimfirecentral.com would have all the details.

For the casual shooter, shouldn’t take a whole lot to improve some.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best value is a Volquartsen hammer. You have to take a LOT of material off the Ruger hammer to get a sear notch close to the Volquartsen.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Kidd triggers and to me they are on par with the Volquartsen. Kidd sells a trigger job kit that is drop-in. Might be worth a look:

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KI...gger-blade_p_95.html

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have a VQ TG2000 trigger pack in one of mine and the Ruger BX trigger in another, hard to beat the BX trigger from a value perspective

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I’ll try stoning off some of the sear engagement myself, and if I jack it up I can go to the BX trigger (way cheaper than the VQ)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Ruger drop-in 10/22 BX trigger assembly. It really makes a difference and a lot cheaper than the after market stuff.

armadill0

Posts: 35 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: April 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Before you stone anything.

Get some Moly Slide, or similar, and put it on the engagement surfaces.

This'll do:

https://www.amazon.com/AEROSHE...Barrel/dp/B011TCRZ46

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
ARC, what if i tried some lithium grease or plain graphite...would that make a difference? I'm thinking the sear shelf and opposing edge are really what cause the difficult trigger pull....maybe halving them will reduce the poll to the reduced area dragging on each other

posted Hide Post
I'd be careful with that stone and most grease is a temporary fix. You can't make the stock 10/22 trigger a benchrest trigger, but with a little polishing you can improve it a good bit.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I did polish areas recommended on several videos. It went from 9 pounds to 4. Just polishing, no stoning.

Way better than it was.