SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hi, my name is LBJ and I'm apparently a Colt snob... (photo page 4)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi, my name is LBJ and I'm apparently a Colt snob... (photo page 4) Login/Join 
Picture of sig229owner
posted Hide Post
Wow... some of you guys must have really drank the koolaid. Paying the fairly high price that Colts are bringing and being ok with a finish that isn't 100%... It might only be cosmetic, but I can't see paying those prices for a rifle made by a company that lets products go out the door that aren't 100%...

Not trying to start anything... just sayin'...

Posts: 801 | Registered: July 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm thirsty, what can I say.

I do have an RRA with a CMMG 300BLK upper.
I like it, looks good, shoots good.

But I want another Colt like this throwback one:
http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/AR15A4.pdf

At one time I owned a 6601, Colt Sporter HBAR 20in A2.
Later I switched the upper to a 16in.
I figured as the years went by, I would never use that 20in upper so I gave it to a friend.
I have regretted that ever since and now I am going to remedy my situation.

The only problem was that Sporter had the large hole pivot pin and we all know how that goes.
I won't have that problem with takedown with this new one.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
But if you are looking for an M16A4 clone you will need this:
https://fnamerica.com/products...itary-collector-m16/

Colt never had the M16A4 contract. FN did.

Looks like mine, but I've got the wrong letter in the circle. And I probably paid a lot less since mine won't flip to burst. Fine with me, though.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Guess your magaholics anon meetings didn't help with part!

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I picked up an LE6920 at a Wally World long before they took black rifles off their shelves. One day when I am gone, my son will be enjoying shooting this rifle and he will be able to appreciate the quality. Now if I had only bought a few snake guns back in the 70's before their prices exceeded my wallet.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Guess your magaholics anon meetings didn't help with part!

Yes, I have the mag angle already covered from all my grandfathered ones.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
All of my factory AR's are Colt. Nothing to do with koolaid but rather quality.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
True but their finishes are historically just passable.

When I look at the contact marks I see on most Colts, all I can figure is that this how Colt makes them for the military and we get what the military gets, minus the auto of course.

Typical civvie requirements regarding finish standards are a little higher.

I still want the Colt.

#ColtSnob

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229owner:
Wow... some of you guys must have really drank the koolaid. Paying the fairly high price that Colts are bringing and being ok with a finish that isn't 100%... It might only be cosmetic, but I can't see paying those prices for a rifle made by a company that lets products go out the door that aren't 100%...

The one thing about Colts, you can always sell it. They are desirable. These days you can find cheaper ARs that are also just fine, but you can also pay WAAAAY more than that Colt, for a rifle that is Ultra Uber Milspec etc. etc.

I don't care much for cosmetics myself, I'd rather have a quality product I know will be reliable. I can't say I've run into that many flawed Colts, but considering the number that have been produced, they're out there.

Here, in 2017, it's hard to really cast the "Koolaid Drinker" label, because ultimately, everyone is sipping some sort of their own flavor of koolaid. If someone is going to come out and say "I'm a Colt Snob," then they're being honest, and you've got to give them credit for the self awareness.

The proper time to roll out "Koolaid Drinker," is when you run into someone in a thread insisting that ONLY BRAND "X" is the ZOMG BESTEST. Especially in the face of some flaw or safety issue, or other factual matter.

A statement of preference is one thing, being a zealot for Brand X is a Koolaid Drinker.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I hear alot about the finishes, but of the six Colt rifles I own they are all flawless. Perfect finish in every way. According to the inner web they aren't supposed to be, but they are.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by sig229owner:

The one thing about Colts, you can always sell it. They are desirable. These days you can find cheaper ARs that are also just fine, but you can also pay WAAAAY more than that Colt, for a rifle that is Ultra Uber Milspec etc. etc.

I don't care much for cosmetics myself, I'd rather have a quality product I know will be reliable. I can't say I've run into that many flawed Colts, but considering the number that have been produced, they're out there.

Here, in 2017, it's hard to really cast the "Koolaid Drinker" label, because ultimately, everyone is sipping some sort of their own flavor of koolaid. If someone is going to come out and say "I'm a Colt Snob," then they're being honest, and you've got to give them credit for the self awareness.

The proper time to roll out "Koolaid Drinker," is when you run into someone in a thread insisting that ONLY BRAND "X" is the ZOMG BESTEST. Especially in the face of some flaw or safety issue, or other factual matter.

A statement of preference is one thing, being a zealot for Brand X is a Koolaid Drinker.

Well stated.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
#ColtSnob

I haven't trashed other manufacturers because I have the good sense to know there are many fine quality makers out there.

I still want the Colt where possible.
I am just wired this way.

posted Hide Post
Hello LBJ, welcome Coltaholics Anonymous. I too am an addict. Smile

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I-am-a-Colt-snob.
The Colt A2s were battle proven. The only difference now is the flat top.

I wouldn't mind an FN, but I doubt they are available as a semi auto only. I could be wrong.

The FN Military Collector series includes a semi A4.

https://fnamerica.com/products...itary-collector-m16/

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I clicked the linked above.
That semi FN has the same ambi selector switch that the Colt AR15M4 has.

I wonder if that is military spec?

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The M16A4 is not as popular with the military as the M4/M4A1 series. The M4A1 upgrade had the ambi selector as a feature. I have not heard of any upgrades to the M16A4s since it was introduced over a decade ago.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have never owned an ambi on an AR15 before.

There is just something about this early 90s retro that beckons me.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The AR15A4 should ship to r2mach1 perhaps as early as tomorrow afternoon.
Nice. I am getting excited.

posted Hide Post
I almost bought a Colt at Walmart back when they still had such things, but I was swayed by a Palmetto from our local Sportsman when they made a brief appearance on the retail shelves. I added a Geissele SSA trigger and Magpul furniture, Vortex 3x Spitfire scope, and a Troy battle sling. Now I also have an RRA 6.8 upper with a Nikon 1-4x scope. The whole outfit has given me no trouble at all and seems to be very high quality. I was a little surprised at how heavy the RRA 16in barrel was, but it allows me to see where the bullet strikes with the low power scope and makes for very quick and accurate followup shots. I'll be hunting deer with it this fall with either 110gr Accubond or 95gr Barnes handloads.

Posts: 129 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Take a look at what is costs to build an all original 601. That will cure you. Wink

But then again, take a look at what an original 639 will set you back.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post