SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    6.5-300 Weatherby??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-300 Weatherby?? Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
The offer to become a lifetime RMEF member shoed up in the mail today.

For a small payment of $1900, I can be a life member and get a fancy Weatherby rifle chambered in 6.5-300 Weatherby. A nice, flat shooting magnum round.

Now, I need a new hunting rifle like I need a hole in the head but it’s a tempting offer with becoming a life RMEF member.

So, curious if anyone here has one or has shot the cartridge. At $4.25 a round, it’s got to help my chances in the woods....

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't have one. All I've got is the pipsqueak 300-378. I feel pretty certain that you're recoil will be less. Maybe even manageable. My guess is even less that a .300. Probably like a .264 Winchester. Isn't that a pleasant thought. Means you might only start feeling it and suffering at about round 5 or so.

Still, what are you going to shoot with it? Ok, I get steel and paper. Still not adequate for nasty game, at least on this continent. I assume you reload, because its cheaper.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one nor have I shot one, but what are the chances of finding ammo for it while on a hunt if your ammo gets lost? I think it's pretty adequate for most game in Colorado, and I've never needed a reason to add to the collection, but at $4.25 a trigger pull, yikes.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Gotta ask, RMEF?

I just had to have a Weatherby 375 magnum, a bucket list thing from early teens.

I finally got one last year. I took it to the range with a 1-6 scope with generous eye relief. I first tried it with 375 H&H magnum rounds, standing, Not too bad. I then chambered the 375 Weatherby round, WOW! I tried another and then put the rifle down. Before I cased it I asked my old friends son who was shooting next to me if he would like to try it,he was shooting a Barrett 50. He saw me fire the Weatherby and declined to shoot it coming up with a BS story about hurting his wrist recently in a dirt bike accident, His Father was a few benches down and did NOT see me fire the Weatherby, he accepted. He went to sit at the bench, I advised him he should stand, he reluctantly stood up with the rifle. I advised that it KICKED, he said OK. He pulled the trigger.
His Son and I then went looking for something to stop the bleeding around his eye.
After returning from the range I decided that if the Weatherby ever went to the range again it would have to tamed.
I now has a muzzle brake installed.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
Been a member since the early 90s.

Now that I’ve slept on it, I agree with above. My 300Win Mag has enough kick. If that abuse is not enough, I’ll just take my Winchester Model 94 in 450 Marlin for a spin. That thing is great for loosening up the shoulder.

Don’t reload rifle yet and don’t thing that is the cartridge to start with. The cost of all the accessories is likely the same for a case of ammunition.

My ‘go to’ hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 70 in .270win. An awesome shooter with all the range I need.

Still pondering that life membership though....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple of 300 Wby rifles, but not a 6.5-300 Wby. I find the recoil unpleasant for Weatherby's various bore sizes -- harsh, with a short recoil duration. Pretty much impossible to keep sights on target, to determine where bullet impacts occurred. I sighted in a 300 Wby for my boss a few years ago. The recoil gave him, his son, and his grandson scope bite scars -- eyebrow and bridge of nose. They shot one large black bear with the rifle, then retired it to the safe. They now hunt with their 270 rifles.

According to the tables, some estimated recoil in foot pounds for average rifles:
30-32 ft # for 300 Weatherby Magnum
25-26 ft # for 300 Win Mag
22-23 ft # for 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum
19-20 ft # for 30-06
The recoil for the 6.5-300 decreases from the 300 Wby due to the lighter bullet.

6.5-300 puts a lot of burning powder down a small bore. Throat erosion will occur quickly. Barrel life is likely in the 700-800 round range at best. If you target practice with the rifle and get the barrel hot, barrel life will be even less.

Now for a hunting-only rifle that will consume only 5-10 rounds per year, barrel life means nothing.

Your 270 Win is plenty good for the game we have in the western states -- with the exception of brown bears.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I agree with the sharp, harsh recoil from the Weatherby.
Since the 375 Weatherby can shoot both a 375 H&H magnum and the 375 Weatherby it gives a good comparison between the two when you can quickly fire one to the other from the same rifle.
The 375 Weatherby certainly had more recoil than the 375 H&H but it was the harsh, short recoil of the Weatherby that HURT. Recoil is so fast and hard that my fingers and hand would wrap up in the trigger housing. I sure with more practice this could be dealt with.
I have not tried the muzzle brake, I hope it changes the brutality of shooting the rifle.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Are the ‘giving’ out the 6.5-300 Weatherby rifle because no one wants to buy it? It seems a tad mismatched to me.

If I did the deal, I’d pick another chambering, sorry to be a downer.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
fritz.

Good info there, thanks.

The RMEF is not really 'giving' the rifle away with a Life Membership. I looked at last years Bugle magazine and the Life Membership and then is was a $1,500 fee that came with a Yeti cooler. Apparently the membership fee changes with the price of the gift. The Life Membership is tax deductible but they don't say if its a full value or what percent is.

So, guess I'll wait for the next offing. No need to buy a rifle I wouldn't likely use.