SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Yugoslavian Mauser two Front Barrel Band removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yugoslavian Mauser two Front Barrel Band removal Login/Join 
posted
Any member have experience in removing the front two barrel bands on a Yugo 8mm Mauser?
Tools required, and man power.
Not mine but for a friend.
Thank you in advance!!!

Posts: 1306 | Location: Nor-cal | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

The two barrel bands are held in place by a dual leaf spring. Compress the front of it to remove the front barrel band (by sliding the band forward), and the rear of it to remove the rear barrel band.

It typically doesn't require tools, but sometimes the bands are stuck in place from years of gunk and cosmoline. You can try heating the band with a hair dryer to soften it.

If it's seriously stuck, and you use a clamp to compress the end of the spring, and then use a small block of wood and a hammer to drive the band off.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you,
RogueJsk!!!
Much Appreciated.
Will be helping my friend
this Saturday!!!

Posts: 1306 | Location: Nor-cal | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan-o
posted Hide Post
A squeeze clamp to compress the front of the spring helps. It might take a couple of taps with a block of wood to coax the front band off.

After the front band is off, the spring comes out as the front band is the only thing holding it in place. Then the rear band slides right off.

Posts: 572 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If it's seriously stuck, and you use a clamp to compress the end of the spring, and then use a small block of wood and a hammer to drive the band off.

This.

I have a Swedish Mauser and the bands were hell to get off. It was impossible to compress the springs enough by hand. I ended having to a take a wooden dowel rod and shaving it down to a square a little narrower than the spring and then cutting off about a 1/2 inch of it. I taped it over the spring then compressed it with a trigger clamp. Worked like a charm. Then I cleaned the 85 years of crap out of it and now it works the way it was supposed to work.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helped my brother this Morning.
Thank you Everyone for your advice.
He had a older model yugo with two
Spring Clips holding the two bands.
Everything went smoothly.
Thanks Again!!!