SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone with a Tikka T3 or other rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, how do you like it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with a Tikka T3 or other rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, how do you like it? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
The title is the question.

The friend of a couple of us who have rifles chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor has been infected with the same itch, and asked me if I had any recommendations. My TRG-22 at $3K+ is out of his price range and he isn’t interested in any sort of custom gun. I have a couple of Tikka T3s in other chamberings that I’m happy with, so it came to mind, but I’m not familiar with what else might be available and recommended these days.

Thanks for all replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budget?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Savage model 12 with 26" heavy barrel. Purchased last year on black Friday. Great value and more accurate than I am. 6.5 Creedmoor is pleasant to shoot compared to .308 or 30-06. Very good for me to start to learn shooting at 200 and 300 yd ranges.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
T3x Tac A1
Sighted in at 200.
No difference in POI suppressed or unsuppressed.
A real tack driver.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Budget?

I am not certain other than probably significantly less than the $3K of the TRG. I suspect something <$2000 would be acceptable, but the less the better for a decent choice*. I’m trying to get ideas, and I’ve found it best to not be too inflexible when exploring options.

* And yes, what’s a “decent choice”? That’s why I’m seeking opinions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The T3 CTR, now available with a 24” barrel, is pretty hard to beat in terms of bang for buck accuracy.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikk...TR-65-Creedmoor.aspx

Personally I’d rather get the CTR and add the aftermarket stock of my choice rather than spend the extra for the TAC A1.

The Tikka certainly has the stronger aftermarket support, but if looking for something different i’d also consider the Sako A7 long range. It’s now offered in 6.5 with a threaded 26” barrel. Although you need to like the stock it comes with as there aren’t any other options.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788498641

I just ordered this rifle in 300WM, can’t wait to see how it shoots!

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Can you tell us what suppressor?
I don’t have a lot of experience with suppressors, but mine and the ones I’m familiar with cause significant downward POI on the several rifles I’ve seen them used with.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Last year, at Cabela's I saw a brand new Sako TRG in 6.5 with a Nightforce scope. That would have been one sweet package.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My T3x is in 270Win, but I've been very happy with it.
Mine's a Lite Stainless, so only about 8lbs loaded.

Sighting it in, it put 5 shots in 3 holes at 100 yds, with about a 1.5" spread.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I wanted to try long range shooting last year. I talked to the course instructor and he said the best deal out of the box was a Tikka. I did a bunch of reading and wound up buying a T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Put a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 scope on it and an adjustable cheek piece. Took the class. Absolutely love the rifle. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

FWIW, there were 3 other rifles like mine in the class plus a couple of really expensive custom builds and a couple of semi-autos. In fairness we only shot out to 650 yards or so, but the CTRs fared as well as the expensive rifles and better than the semi-autos.

I used 147gr ELD Match ammo.

Did I mention I love the rifle?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG Bravo stock. Thing is awesome and comes in well under $2k, even with the Sako green stock. Add some good glass and you’ll be all set

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have the Howa Chassis Rifle with the 26" threaded barrel. Only been able to shoot it out to 200 yards so far, but I'm very pleased with it. I need to get up to Dallas to the private range where my buddy is a member and they have a 1200 yard range.

Grabagun has it for $875

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a t3x in 6.5 creedmoor, it’s a great gun, very accurate, very easy to shoot. Im planning on doing some things to it and making it one of my go to sheep rifles, ive been messing with stocks but I think I’ll eventually get a manners ex’s ect, as of now, I’ve replaced the bottom metal (plastic) with one from mountain tactical and that really changed the feel of the rifle for me. Before that the gun was still accurate but just seemed so-so to me, after the mottommmeta upgrade I think it feels much better.

I’m also messing around with the scope setup, I have an SWFA 3-15 on it mounted with nightforce ultralight low tings and a warne mountain tech base but I’m thinking of ditching that ring/base combo and going with talleys or a DNZ mount.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I have two Tikka T3X TAC A1s in 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both fantastic. I really can't say enough good things about them. I have done extensive load development on my first one that I even used for my first couple of F-Class Open midrange competitions.

That rifles shoots very well although the barrel is a little slow. The second TAC A1 has a faster barrel and without changing anything other than seating depth shoots the identical load at a consistent .5 MOA at 100 yards. Have not had time to develop a proper load.

Both suppress well using a Thunderbeast Ultra 9. One is a direct thread-on and the other uses their brake. Point of impact shift is about 1.25 inches suppressor on to off at 100 yards. No change in charge weight required as group size remains the same.

The bolt is very smooth to operate and the chassis is very adjustable though a little heavy. Some folks get wound up about the zero degree cant of the picatinny rail but easy enough to get a 20 MOA optics mount.

I would gladly pay twice the street price for that rifle. It is that good, in my opinion.

The only complaint I have is that you can't operate the bolt release when the stock is folded. As long as you remember to remove the bolt before folding there is no issue. The stock locks up very tight when extended with no movement at all and having the folding stock makes barrel cleaning very easy as well as easy to transport in a regular rifle bag.

I do have custom rifles with beefier actions and much larger in diameter and longer barrels but the Tikka remains a very reliable shooter.

I replaced my triggers two and a half times. I replied the stock spring with a Yo Dave spring which yielded right at 1lb 15 ounces and then replaced the stock trigger with a Jard. Pull weight was under a pound with the Jard but one of them had some noticeable creep. Not terrible but irritating. I have since put in Bix'n Andy triggers in and have zero complaints. I want more of them now.

I briefly owned a Bergara B 14 HMR. It shoot great and at almost half the price would be a great choice too. I like that the Bergara is Remington 700 compatible. That makes for a lot of good trigger options. The B 14 shot factory Hornady 140 ELD-Match at a very consistent .75 MOA at 100. I did not get a chance to hand load for it as I only had it for a couple of weeks.

So many great choices in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Hernyrifle

P.S. I am almost positive it was you, sigfreund, that first posted about the TAC A1s and after reading about them, I bought one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryrifle,

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Tikka CTR...it’s a keeper.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
T3x Tac A1
Sighted in at 200.
A real tack driver.

No POI shift is certainly not the norm. Incredibly lucky that your barrel harmonics have not changed, not a testimony for any rifle.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Liberty Mystic--direct thread--monocore.
Very Impressed with both the Tikka Tac A1 and the Liberty Mystic.
Loaned the Liberty Mystic to another guy at my range--custom 243 bolt rifle with handloads- spot on at 200 for him. He got the suppressor itch after that.

Very pleased with Tikka Tac A1--if you purchase now , Tikka is offering a free mag with proof of purchase.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
No POI shift is certainly not the norm. Incredibly lucky that your barrel harmonics have not changed, not a testimony for any rifle.

Exactly.

For my bolt action M24 profile Bartlein barrels:
3/4 MOA staight down suppressor shift for a 26" barrel. This is my most accurate barrel.
1/2 MOA right and down shift for my first 26" barrel.
1/4 MOA down and right shift for a 23" barrel.

Shifts for my AR-15 barrels:
No shift for 11" and 14" fluted SBR barrels
1/2 MOA down for two 16" fluted mid-profile barrels
No shift for 16" unfluted 16" mid-profile barrel. This barrel is not as accurate as the two 16" fluted barrels it replaced.
1/2 to 3/2 MOA down for 18" mid-profile barrel. This is my second most accurate barrel.
No shift for a 20" heavy profile barrel. This is my most accurate barrel.
No shift for a 24" bull barrel.

The shorter the barrel, the heavier the barrel profile, the lighter the can -- the less chance of a POI shift.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post