SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Jonesing another Ruger No.1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jonesing another Ruger No.1 Login/Join 
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted
So for some reason I keep searching for a new No. 1 on GB even though I really have no need for one. My only one is a stainless .223 varminter, and I feel the need for some nice walnut and bluing.

I've been looking at .270 and .375 H&H, the former because I "stock" that cailber, the latter for no apparent reason other than I want a safari gun. So is the significance of the red pad simply an aesthetic thing? Seems the earlier models often have nicer wood, but is there anything mechanically different about a red pad model? Seems as though the No.1 prices have not skyrocketed like some other rifles, perhaps because no single shot is likely on any impending legal action list i.e. "tactical". Any thing I should watch out for in a used one?

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Red pads are older guns. Usually have better wood, a little better made. You may find they have better triggers as they changed how some of the internals were made.

The rub with Ruger rifles is, generally speaking, the newer barrels are better than the older ones.

I have four No.1's now and no real advice other than good luck, have fun. Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Double your fun at the fishing hole; keep an eye out for No. 3s. Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The # 1 International I purchased last year has a red pad. I had seen one with the red pad and to me, it is more attractive, while not providing any mechanical difference I am aware of.

After watching the auction sites for months, I found exactly what I wanted. A stainless # 1 International, with beautiful wood and a red pad, chambered for .308.

I have probably seen more chambered for .270 than .375 H & H.

Good luck and please post a pic of what you find.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've never wanted a Ruger, preferring the Browning's. Got a few laying about and I'm always looking for another. The wood is just as nice or nicer, but it does vary by rifle. The thing I like is the guns are shorter for the same barrel length. Look on the various auction sites or whatever. The barrels on Rugers don't start until about 4" or so in front of the trigger. John Browning solved that about 140 years ago by putting the falling block way back by the trigger. The answer is a gun either 4" shorter, or the same length gun with a longer barrel. While I've complained about Ruger quality for a long time, I've not heard anyone complain about Browning quality.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I believe .270 is the most abundant chambering and thus can usually be found pretty easily and maybe even a bit cheaper. There was a time I foresaw myself ending up with a safe full of #1's... not so sure now, for whatever reason. They are beautiful rifles, though.

My only current #1 is a Liberty (1976) #1B in .270.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
My only number one is from the 70s in .45-70. I purchased it from a dear friends estate. I've not had the heart to shoot it yet but i will eventually.

it is a beautiful rifle.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
My only number one is from the 70s in .45-70. I purchased it from a dear friends estate. I've not had the heart to shoot it yet but i will eventually.

it is a beautiful rifle.

I've thought lately about getting a real thumper or maybe a straight-walled cartridge. No. 1 would be good for both.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I always kind of wanted one of these, and I would get one in African caliber like .375, too.

But I have no purpose for one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I always kind of wanted one of these, and I would get one in African caliber like .375, too.

I mean I figure at this point it's probably just as easy to get .375 as .270 Roll Eyes

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I've never wanted a Ruger, preferring the Browning's.

Thanks, I had never looked at those. Looks like they are far harder to come by, and while some precursory research does indicate the Browning is the "better" gun, there's just something about the Rugers I like. I'm leaning towards just rolling the dice on a new .375 and just hope I get a nice one.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I have a Number 1B (the "Standard" version) in .30'06 and it's a beautiful/classic design, BUT the ability to mount a scope on it is limited. If your objective (Bell) of the scope is too big, it may not be able to bring it back far enough for proper eyerelief. If you use higher bases and rings, proper cheekweld becomes an issue.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep wanting one in 218 bee, but at the prices they are going for, I can content myself with the Marlin CL.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
..I would get one in African caliber like .375, too.

Okay, if you say so. But don't come crying to us if you get hammered by a cape buffalo one day on the way to the mail box and are ill prepared. I, for one, am taking no chances.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I have a few, one in .375H&H. They are all fun to shoot and fondle. I gave my son one in 30-06. I wanted him to have a sweet one gun for North America. He wacked his first cow elk with it. It'll shoot under an inch at 100 yds. with 165 grain Noslers. Can't ask for better than that.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Okay, if you say so. But don't come crying to us if you get hammered by a cape buffalo one day on the way to the mail box and are ill prepared. I, for one, am taking no chances.

My dad used to say his was for warding off elephants. I never saw an elephant while he owned one.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Ha! That is exactly what I said to my wife one day when I told her I ordered some dangerous game rounds for my .45-70 that "could shoot all the way through a Cape Buffalo" and she responded "why do you need those?"

She doesn't understand that bird feeders attract animals that you just can't be unprepared for.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Those squirrels can be wicked mean.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend has one in .458 Win Mag. I have shot it, standing up, of course. No bench shooting with that thumper. He is considering selling it but I don't have the funds for it (it would make a dandy Elk/Moose round or against Grizzly bears).

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post