SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Went unicorn hunting..bagged a one-pointer (PTR 44/MP 44)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went unicorn hunting..bagged a one-pointer (PTR 44/MP 44) Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
Never thought I'd have a chance to own one. They so rarely come up for sale...but here she is! Just attached the sling...now to order more mags and ammo....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Damn, Andy! You have all the best toys.

Ammo is surprisingly easy to find online. Prvi makes batches of 8mm Kurz every year or so.

https://www.sgammo.com/product...e-prvi-partizan-pp7k

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Oooooh, that is AWESOME!!!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Oh . . . My . . . God. My jealousy and my envy are in the Thunderdome fighting for superiority.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I didn't know anybody even made such a thing. I've seen .22-caliber copies made by GSG Sport Guns, but only in pictures, never in person. That would turn some heads at the range. Smile

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I've had a ZF4 and repro mount sitting around. My K43 hated the mount and I wasn't going to force it to fit. Finally found a home on the PTR. The serial number of the scope is 4 off from the gun. Beginning of a love affair right here Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I hate you, in the best way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That is so freakin’ cool. Just... yeah. Nice pickup, man.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I remember back when these came in, a vendor on the forum gave me a quote that was way more than I would spend on a rifle at the time. Nice snag!

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is.... awesome.

Just out of idle in case I win the lottery kind of thinking, are we talking low, mid, or high four figures?

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
Just out of idle in case I win the lottery kind of thinking, are we talking low, mid, or high four figures?
IIRC, the were supposed to sell for $5K-ish when intro'ed, but I have no idea where they settled at or what they go for today.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
IIRC, the were supposed to sell for $5K-ish when intro'ed, but I have no idea where they settled at or what they go for today.

A few more things are now in play with the value (to me anyway).

HMG, although not an exact clone, had people, myself included, real excited for an STG-esque rifle for under 2k. HMG seems to be dead in the water and I doubt that rifle ever makes it to market. The PTR is now the only game in town assuming you don't want a .22

There were 200 of these PTR's imported but 50 or so were not able to be sold due to mechanical issues and made into parts guns. So there's about 150 viable rifles in the wild. Those 150 some also had issues. Mine was gone over and checked and is good to go (something I was willing to pay a little more for).

All that said I'd expect to pay between 7-9k. One went at Rock Island for 13k a while back but thats just nuts.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
So... high.

Or even low 5 figures.

quote:

Bill R

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
So... high.

Or even low 5 figures.

Yup. About like I thought! I will need to find something else to precipitate the explosion of indignant outrage from all the whinging lefties that infest my side of this fine state....

It’s just that one of those would be soooooo epically perfect for sparking outrage! Why, the commies would hardly know where to even start!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Honestly, they probably would just get the normal amount of outraged, considering they'd assume it is just an AK-47.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I don't care, that thing is just AWESOME. I would love to shoot any version (PTR or MP).

Bravo on the pickup!

posted Hide Post
Congrats and glad you found one of the few out there! I had one and liked it a lot even though I put about 100 rounds through it. Supposedly there are some magazine related issues. For example, the way these seat/lock hinders reliability if more than a few cartridges are loaded. This was my experience also. As far as other "issues", IIRC certain parts were not properly heat treated. There was also something about the trunnion that is not in sync but I'm not sure exactly what the problem with it is. There is a gunsmith who knows how to rectify all of these issues and the cost to do it is roughly $1000. That is actually why I decided to part with my PTR44--I didn't want fork out that amount of $$$ for a rifle that should IMO be good to go new out of the box. My rifle cost 5k NIB and so I let it go for about the same amount 2 yrs ago to a great guy who has posted extensive pics and info about it on the akfiles (do a search and you'll certainly find his posts). As a matter of fact, two guys that post there extensively both have PTR44s. Their names there are "Wilhelm" and "Hansel". A last thing about the mags and some of those parts mentioned above: an original WWII era mag and original WWII parts are supposed to work more reliably than the newly manufactured ones, but do a check and you'll see that that $300 is not an uncommon price to pay for a mag. Original parts are not cheap either. There was PTR44 that sold last week on GB for about 8k and I'm pretty sure now where it is! BTW: I've also read at the akfiles that the German company which makes these is either supposed to be trying to find a new importer for their entire product line or they are setting up shop here to build some of their guns here.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
BTW: I've also read at the akfiles that the German company which makes these is either supposed to be trying to find a new importer for their entire product line or they are setting up shop here to build some of their guns here.

I've seen the same, but I've also been seeing it for a while.

I sure hope they find an importer...but if they do I'll be broke by morning.

I found a couple other mags that supposedly work, they are reproductions but not the SSD ones. We shall see!

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I don't care, that thing is just AWESOME. I would love to shoot any version (PTR or MP).

Bravo on the pickup!

If you find yourself in OK let me know Smile

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I hate you, in the best way.

Thats a cool photo! What mount is that? Looks like it has a third pillar