SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Securing a small rifle in a pick up truck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Securing a small rifle in a pick up truck Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted
I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma quad cab. I have a small Ar15 pistol that is about 23 inches long and 10 inches wide that I like to take with me in the mountains for camping and fishing. Its just nice to have in the truck for a just in case scenario. I can't really secure it since there is no trunk. I hate the idea of just hiding it as a former cop i have taken enough reports on people who lost firearms in a similar fashion. I really doesn't fit in the under seat storage bins.

Any ideas on better ways to secure a small rifle in a pick up?

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Is there an under rear seat lock box for the quad cab?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Behind the rear seat works if you have access to it. Mounting studs or welded in bolt holes for seat belts also works well for securing lock cables to ... sure it can still be stolen, but it'll slow them down.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuffy makes a lock box for under the rear seat of your Ty-oty. CARId has them for $117.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
A guy at a local gun store had a CZ Scorpion and spare mags under the rear seat. Used high quality foam made exact cut outs for the items and shape of the trucks storage.Looked and worked well.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Fort Knox CAB (Controlled Access Box) in my SUV. I keep a suppressed Sig Rattler SBR in it. They make them in three sizes. I have the middle size and I can put the folding stock SIG and a 10.5 AR SBR with a Law Folding stock.

Its not your run of the mill cheap safe/box and has a simplex, mechanical lock. So no worry about wiring or batteries.

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Make ya reminisce about the good ole days of rifle racks, doesn't it? Frown

But I digress ~ what about building an underseat box under the rear seat like they do for subwoofers ~ if you have enough space?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Big Sky Racks. It's an interior roof mount rack. They're awesome. I removed my coat hooks and mounted it in the existing holes.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Which lock ya got?

https://youtu.be/lF0uiRS8asc

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
ARMA15 has this option:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/cRb5_MBnHtg

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post