SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You will buy a Colt
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Colt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I started on my AR path back in the early '90s with an Olympic Arms CAR-15 knock off.

It had issues... ALOT of issues.

Same here...I bought an Oly in early '94 when the impending AWB was looming. What a turd.

Bought a 6920 in '98 not too long after they first came out. They were marked "Restricted" and could be ordered by individual LEOs on letterhead with all the (at the time) evil features.

I've still got and use it for a work rifle (I SBR'd it several years ago)...has @ 15k rounds or so total through it. I've changed the gas rings once, and just replaced the H buffer/spring with an H2 buffer and new spring...not because of issues, just preventative maintenance.

With 11.5" BCM upper

Original Colt upper w/ original 16" barrel trimmed to 14.5"

Posts: 30 | Location: B'ham, AL | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Those are a couple of nice photos kb377. Looks like it's giving you great service.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For anyone looking DSG Arms has two models of LE6920s for $995.00, quite a reasonable price considering the current market.

https://dsgarms.com/ar-rifles-co6920-dsg-1-blk

https://dsgarms.com/ar-rifles-co6920-dsg-1-fde

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Colt AR in 1971. It was an SP1 that I purchased in Hollywood, CA at the Brass Rail Gun Shop for $225 new.
It looked very much like this one:

This was my M16A1 bought in 2002.

Currently I only have one pony; an LE6945CQB Monolithic - 10.3" factory SBR:

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone looking for a Colt upper, Brownells has the Colt LE6960 CCU 16" upper on sale for $512, plus you can get 11 or 12% off today, bringing the price down to $450-460 with free shipping.

That gets you a Colt lightweight middie 16" barrel with dual pinned low pro gas block, Centurion Arms 13" MLOK handguard, with a Colt upper receiver. No BCG or CH, but when you compare high quality lightweight barreled free-floated uppers like BCM, DD, Centurion Arms, etc; $450 is a heck of a deal for one of these. My comparable BCM Upper, a 16" ELW mid-length gas barrel with KMR rail, no BCG or CH was $675 and this is pretty much its equal.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...-lok-prod120469.aspx

Some of the early reviews had assembly issues, but mine is flawless with correct rail installation, etc.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that RHINO! That's excellent!

posted Hide Post
Rhino - First off thanks for posting this upper...I have been looking for a Colt upper for the past month but with the recent news from Colt I was a month to late....This puts me back in the game once I find a COLT BCG and charging handle at an affordable price....Just ordered one with the discount and shipping was $461.52 delivered....

Thanks again my friend and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.....Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to help get some more Colt uppers out there!

I'm going to use A Geiseele ACH and likely source a Toolcraft Phosphate Milspec BCG.

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
That CCU Upper is a sweet piece too! I was fortunate enough to stumble into the full CCU rifle a while back, for a good price - it handles, balances and feels better than most other AR's I've tried.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Anyone looking for a Colt upper, Brownells has the Colt LE6960 CCU 16" upper on sale for $512, plus you can get 11 or 12% off today, bringing the price down to $450-460 with free shipping.

That gets you a Colt lightweight middie 16" barrel with dual pinned low pro gas block, Centurion Arms 13" MLOK handguard, with a Colt upper receiver. No BCG or CH, but when you compare high quality lightweight barreled free-floated uppers like BCM, DD, Centurion Arms, etc; $450 is a heck of a deal for one of these. My comparable BCM Upper, a 16" ELW mid-length gas barrel with KMR rail, no BCG or CH was $675 and this is pretty much its equal.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...-lok-prod120469.aspx

Some of the early reviews had assembly issues, but mine is flawless with correct rail installation, etc.

What would happen if I put this Colt upper on my old 1999-Era "post-ban" XM-15-E2S which has the old style carry handle upper and no flash hider, etc???

I would have the Colt upper, with the Bushmaster lower. And a BCG and CH that I would harvest from the old upper.

Would that be an improvement, or a dumb move?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated for the heads up on the deal!

Posts: 82 | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I would have the Colt upper, with the Bushmaster lower. And a BCG and CH that I would harvest from the old upper.

Well, it would give you a very lightweight upper and the ability to put a Red Dot Sight or scope on the rifle.

But if you are running iron sights, it probably isn't an upgrade you need.

posted Hide Post
Now I just need a CM762 upper for my Colt 901. They’re like hens teeth.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Now I just need a CM762 upper for my Colt 901. They’re like hens teeth.

I'm glad I didn't wait when those CM762 were selling for $1400+/- over the summer! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I considered it for awhile but at that price point I just couldn't say no. I wish I had bought two of them now!

I just got a conversion block from Brownells so I can use a 5.56 upper on it.

posted Hide Post
RHINO - This 6960 upper has tons of positive feedback and reviews on it because of its lightweight design and for its mid-length gas system....Brownells has already confirmed mine is in route and I just picked up a Brand new OEM - Colt charging handle and BCG....Drop this onto the Colt complete lower I purchased from Brownells about 18 months ago for $250 and I have a complete Colt LE6960 for less than $900....Thanks again for posting the link to this upper...

Forum Friends - it appears that this model upper, in the complete Colt AR rifle, is no longer being manufactured so if you think you want one you might want to commit while Brownell’s still has stock....I am super excited about the Centurion Rail on this upper...When I looked up this rail the cost just for this Centurion specific length rail was $220.00...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered two for that price

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
From 1928 through 1930 Argentina contracted with Colt for ~975 custom configured Colt water cooled machine guns. This contract kept Colt afloat during the interwar years. These guns were unique as they had factory configured custom tripods, nickel plated internals, captive recoil springs, triggers with safeties, and flash hiders. The quality of the parts in beyond compare. In the 1980s, Argentina declared them obsolete and sold them as surplus. Many were disassembled and exported as parts kits into the US.

Mine was rebuilt into a fully transferrable machine gun. It has a Group Industries right side plate along with a US Military left side plate and bottom plate. All other parts are original Colt/Argentine. It was re-engraved and assembled by Craig Jordan and sold by Collectors Corner who later changed their name to Ohio Ordnance Works.

The original Colt/Argentine M35 tripod was professionally restored and is mint perfect. The gun runs perfectly in 30.06, .308, and 8mm Mauser. It looks very impressive when all the brass and rust blued parts are polished up.

I even have an original 1928 Colt/Argentine Armorer's Kit for it.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Well, it would give you a very lightweight upper and the ability to put a Red Dot Sight or scope on the rifle.

But if you are running iron sights, it probably isn't an upgrade you need.

Thanks. I just ordered one about 1/2 hour ago, so they are still in stock.

Even if I don't use it on my Bushmaster, I've got a stripped lower that I can build up.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Dan, that’s an amazing piece of history! So, if it’s water cooled, do you have to do anything special at the end of a firing session to prevent internal corrosion?

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Dan, that’s an amazing piece of history! So, if it’s water cooled, do you have to do anything special at the end of a firing session to prevent internal corrosion?

Nope. Just drain the water jacket while the water is still hot or very warm and leave the drain and filler port open. The water within the water jacket evaporates very quickly and everything is completely dry.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post