SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You will buy a Colt
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Colt Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The problem with making precise hits with an AR-15 at very close range (as in the distance across your living room) is sight offset. Your shots will always strike low at very close range with an AR due to the height of the sights above the bore axis.

This is one of the reasons why traditional-style rifles like the Mini-14 make great house guns. The sights are close to the bore axis.

Your idea of using an unpowered RDS as a large ghost ring on an AR would probably result in the same issue of low hits. However, we're talking about a couple of inches, so, likely, it won't matter. Nevertheless, sight offset in an AR means that your AR with a 50/200 zero is not going to shoot to point of aim at 15 feet.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Got my troy rail installed on my colt 6720. Light and aimpoint mounted and took it out for a quick test run. Shot great. Accurate. Really like have a rail ahead of the front sight post to hold on to. I still need to post some pics. Sorry.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The problem with making precise hits with an AR-15 at very close range (as in the distance across your living room) is sight offset. Your shots will always strike low at very close range with an AR due to the height of the sights above the bore axis.

This is one of the reasons why traditional-style rifles like the Mini-14 make great house guns. The sights are close to the bore axis.

Your idea of using an unpowered RDS as a large ghost ring on an AR would probably result in the same issue of low hits. However, we're talking about a couple of inches, so, likely, it won't matter. Nevertheless, sight offset in an AR means that your AR with a 50/200 zero is not going to shoot to point of aim at 15 feet.

Correct. You can easily train to know your holdover at various short range distances with irons, red dot, and LPVO. Optics with holdover or BDC hashes are great for this. I know exactly where to hold from near contact to 100 yds on my K16i and ATACR 1-8. And then of course out past 100 yds..

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update. I’m really liking the colt 6720 with Troy delta rail. Keep it close by around the house. I’ll try and post a few pics.

Still thinking about using my SBR with a can for a house gun.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Just a quick update. I’m really liking the colt 6720 with Troy delta rail. Keep it close by around the house. I’ll try and post a few pics.

Sounds like a great rifle! Look forward to pics.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Just snagged a Colt Canada / Diemaco last week. Should pick it up this weekend (it's basically a 6920 in config)

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Just snagged a Colt Canada / Diemaco last week. Should pick it up this weekend (it's basically a 6920 in config)

Oohh, nice. I snagged a Colt Canada Diemaco A2 pencil (6520) upper a few months ago. Stole it for cheap.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Wow, I had no idea the Canadian versions were available. How do you identify the Canadian models?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
They say "Colt Defense" and "Made in Canada" on them. And, no...Colt won't sell them to you. This was likely a contractor gun bought at surplus.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
They say "Colt Defense" and "Made in Canada" on them. And, no...Colt won't sell them to you. This was likely a contractor gun bought at surplus.

OK, that's good to know. I was under the impression that the Canadian Colts used CHF barrels. If so, that would be cool too IF they were available.

posted Hide Post
They also have stylized "D" marking on them.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Stylized D marking on the bolt carrier group and the barrels are hammer forged in Canada.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a T1 on it but left off the sling for around the house. May find a buttstock with a QD hole and reassess. Thoughts?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have the standard 6920 m4 carbine cal 5.56mm colt defense model, I changed out the hand guard to a Midwest industries put a trijicon mro on it, removed the front tower sight post and put magpul flip up sights on it, and magpul stock. I kept all the parts so if I ever want to take it back to original it would be a simple 1 hour fix.

I really like it and shoot it every range trip so simple and easy to transform into just about anything you would like. I'm currently collecting parts for a ar15 aero pistol build just because I have never done it before.

always want a 14.5 pinned and welded probably be on the look out for one.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve got a T1 on it but left off the sling for around the house. May find a buttstock with a QD hole and reassess. Thoughts?

All my rifles have front and rear QDs - with those, I use Blue Force Gear VCAS slings (usually padded, but I have some black non-paddle I got as well on a great sale a couple years ago).

On primary rifles, I have the sling installed but in a BFG Sling Sleeve, so it is tight against the left side of the rifle. Keeps it out of the way if you don't need it and don't have time to take it off, but it allows you to quickly pull the sling out to use if needed.

To me it seems to be the best solution to have a sling available and attached, but out of the way if you don't need it right then. It really holds the padded slings tight, but the unpadded are a little loose inside.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/sling-sleeve.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a wise choice. I wouldn't want to know the hearing loss of discharging a .223 inside of a small bedroom without hearing protection.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

All my rifles have front and rear QDs - with those, I use Blue Force Gear VCAS slings (usually padded, but I have some black non-paddle I got as well on a great sale a couple years ago).

On primary rifles, I have the sling installed but in a BFG Sling Sleeve, so it is tight against the left side of the rifle. Keeps it out of the way if you don't need it and don't have time to take it off, but it allows you to quickly pull the sling out to use if needed.

To me it seems to be the best solution to have a sling available and attached, but out of the way if you don't need it right then. It really holds the padded slings tight, but the unpadded are a little loose inside.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/sling-sleeve.html

That’s a nice setup. My problem is being left handed, the sling covers the ejection port.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s a nice setup. My problem is being left handed, the sling covers the ejection port.
Yeah, I don't have a solution to being 'wrong handed'... Wink

For a truly inside the house weapon, I don't want a sling - but as I have property, an house weapon is also a property weapon, so I keep slings on them.

But in your case if it's just a house gun, I'd just roll without a sling and keep one with QD attachments close by.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Yeah, I don't have a solution to being 'wrong handed'... Wink

For a truly inside the house weapon, I don't want a sling - but as I have property, an house weapon is also a property weapon, so I keep slings on them.

But in your case if it's just a house gun, I'd just roll without a sling and keep one with QD attachments close by.

Yeah. I’ve got several ARs. Probably just keep this one dedicated to home use. I’m thinking about taking the T1 off.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m thinking about taking the T1 off.

Its a free country, but I certainly wouldn't.