SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You will buy a Colt
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Colt Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I won't say "never," but I will say "unlikely." I'd go so far as to say "very unlikely." Got nothing against them. Simply have no absolutely no interest. Probably won't own another Glock, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Colt has been building AR15s for about 60 years. What you get with a Cot AR is experience, quality control, Colt's longterm relationships with vendors who supply Colt with OEM components, things like that. For example, unless something has changed recently, if you buy a Colt BCG, you're getting either CMT or LMT.

ALG, Geissele's sister company, sources the hammers and triggers for ALG FCGs from the same vendor as Colt. Ask Bill Geissele why this is so.
When I buy a Colt, I know what to expect from, say, their barrels. I know the quality of the machining Colt performs on supplied upper/lower receiver forgings. I know the quality of Colt OEM action springs, fire control group parts, I know the odds of getting a rifle with a tilted or poorly mounted FSB, etc.

You can say that Colt ARs are nothing special, but you know what you're getting. You can't say that about the AR rifles of all companies or the AR components of all companies.

Their solid resale value doesn't hurt these rifles, either.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me as a Colt fan.
Bought my 6920 years ago and love it. I have shot others and liked them as well. Daniel Defense, S&W, etc.
I just shoot my Colt now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I started on my AR path back in the early '90s with an Olympic Arms CAR-15 knock off.

It had issues... ALOT of issues. It kinda soured me on ARs for some years. I had been in the Army for a couple years at that point and never had problems with my issued Colt M16A1s and A2s. So, I eventually snagged up a Colt SP1. Later, after taking Colt's LE Armorer course, I snagged up a 6450 just for a fun 9mm plinker.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I won't say I never will, but I don't feel any particular need to own that specific brand when there are so many other quality rifles and manufacturers out there.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

You can say that Colt ARs are nothing special, but you know what you're getting. You can't say that about the AR rifles of all companies or the AR components of all companies.

definitely something to be said there

i don't own one - and have no desire to buy one - but I can see why folks pay a small premium to do so

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Colt has been building AR15s for about 60 years. What you get with a Cot AR is experience, quality control, Colt's longterm relationships with vendors who supply Colt with OEM components, things like that. For example, unless something has changed recently, if you buy a Colt BCG, you're getting either CMT or LMT.

ALG, Geissele's sister company, sources the hammers and triggers for ALG FCGs from the same vendor as Colt. Ask Bill Geissele why this is so.
When I buy a Colt, I know what to expect from, say, their barrels. I know the quality of the machining Colt performs on supplied upper/lower receiver forgings. I know the quality of Colt OEM action springs, fire control group parts, I know the odds of getting a rifle with a tilted or poorly mounted FSB, etc.

You are 100% right Para. I have actually toured their facility, seen AR’s assembled and watched their quality control process. I’ve actually been in the dark room where magnetic particle inspection is conducted. I’ve watched them reject a perfect looking firearm over a defect that I could barely even see. What you are really paying for with Colt is their quality control process, and I for one, having witnessed it in person, am willing to pay a premium for it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will buy a Colt AR

Probably not. I’ve got a few other AR patterned rifles branded differently but built with quality parts. I’m good.

Besides, it doesn’t have the same “ring” to it nor is it synonymous...one wouldn’t say “You will buy a Glock Glock.”

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with a lower tier AR many years ago and ended up selling it. I love my 6933, though it took almost a year for it to clear on the tax stamp. Some people claim they are all the same, but I can tell that this Colt is definitely higher quality than several others I have shot over the years.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
You will buy a Colt AR

Probably not. I’ve got a few other AR patterned rifles branded differently but built with quality parts. I’m good.

Besides, it doesn’t have the same “ring” to it nor is it synonymous...one wouldn’t say “You will buy a Glock Glock.”

I see your point, originally the title was "You will buy a Colt 6920" I thought that since Colt makes both pistols and ARs, it was necessary to specify we were talking about ARs, and since they make several different ARs, I felt compelled to make a more inclusive title. Though in retrospect, I suppose since we're in the rifle forum such specificity may indeed be redundant.

Ahem... Ahem... "You will buy a Colt"... How's that grab ya?

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
It won't be a NIB one. Very difficult to find now that Colt decided to not play in a saturated market and NIB 6920's are seeing inflated prices because of it

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
It won't be a NIB one. Very difficult to find now that Colt decided to not play in a saturated market and NIB 6920's are seeing inflated prices because of it

Agreed.
Stopped at my LGS before work today to get some ammunition. They had a 6720 in the rack for $800. Eek
That's a lot for the pencil barrel. They know it's a Colt and some people will pay to have one.
$500 and I would have jumped on it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt LE-6920 rifle to go with my twenty-one Colt handguns.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A pic from 2016 of my 2012 production Colt 6920LE. I've made some changes to this rifle since this was taken. The rifle still wears the Blue Force Gear VCAS. I've changed the Magpul MOE grip to an MOE+. I switched the Troy rear sight to a nicer (IMO) Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight. The Surefire Scout Light head was changed from a 300B to a 300C for higher light output. The ALG QMS trigger has been replaced with a Geissele SSA.

BCM Model 5 charging handle, H2 buffer, AAC Blackout flash hider for my AAC M4-2008 suppressor. LaRue clips cover the exposed section of receiver rail. Magpul furniture. IWC mount for the Scout Light. Lancer magazine loaded with 28 rounds of Federal M193. This rifle stays with me at all times possible, along with a Blue Force Gear Ten-Speed 6 Pack bandolier holding 5 Okay Surefeed phosphate magazines, each loaded with 28 rounds of Federal M193. It's about five feet from me right now.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt 6720, it was the first AR-15 I purchased. A great gun with an aimpoint pro, but beyond the optic I have kept it stock. Will never sell and still shoot semi frequently.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

Agreed.
Stopped at my LGS before work today to get some ammunition. They had a 6720 in the rack for $800. Eek
That's a lot for the pencil barrel. They know it's a Colt and some people will pay to have one.
$500 and I would have jumped on it.

What are you talking about? $800 is not an inflated price for a 6720. The current market is saturated with competition and prices are artificially low. Enjoy your $500 AR (that is not meant as a criticism either), but it will never be a NIB Colt for that price.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post

That's a very nicely equipped AR Para. I was also considering upgrading all my buffers to H2 as well. I'm guessing with the H2 it should still cycle well with Fusion MSR, Gold Dots, and a host of quality LE/defense ammo. I believe it was an upgrade recommended my Ken Elmore as well.

The other things I really need are a light and sling. That's a well thought out package.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Bought my bro a Colt 6920 for his Bday in 2013. It had a Rogers stock on it. Should have kept it for myself.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I probably wont buy any more, but I like the ones I have.

Preban (no receiver block) AR15 A2 receiver mated to the Colt LMG upper kit

Built during the AWB for LEO's AR15 A3 Tactical

Ny newest "real" Colt" is the Colt Law Enforcement Carbine" I bought & SBR'd for a Colt 9mm SMG upper demilled kit I picked up

I also have one with a Colt rollmark, it was actually built "under license" by a Texas company just a few years ago, Ive got a picture somewhere but ???

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Colt makes a solid, dependable AR. They are reliable, accurate and have great resale value. I have 3 of them that I will never sell. A 6920, a pinned 6921 and a AR15A4.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post