SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Warning: Blown Primers with Independence/Federal 5.56, Lot number FC16B001-169 (Updated With Better Photos)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning: Blown Primers with Independence/Federal 5.56, Lot number FC16B001-169 (Updated With Better Photos) Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
Yesterday, I went out and shot 40 rounds of Independence 5.56 ammunition.
I experienced 12 blown primers and every time such happened, the primers in question locked up my AR15 tight as a drum.
Check out the marks on the brass from the ejector and extractor.
Over pressured?

In any case, I wanted to warn you all about this particular lot number FC16B001-169.

I probably should have stopped shooting this ammo after 2 blown primers and lockups, but I didn't.
Needless to say, I will not be reordering this ammunition any time soon.

Then I broke out 120rds of 1999 IMI M193 headstamped TZZ.
I had no failures of any kind.

I researched reviews at the bulk ammunition sites, and at each site, there were occasional reviews where people said they experienced blown primers using the Independence 5.56.

What do you all think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lbj,

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of very recent reviews I found:

----------------
I have bought thousands of rounds of this ammo and never a problem until now. I bought 500 rounds a few months ago and every rounds primer has detached out of the brass casing. The problem is the primers are jamming the gun and even going into the trigger housings to clog the trigger. Hopefully it was just a bad batch.
(Posted on 6/19/16)
-----------------
Primer Malfunction
Review by Pavsuper. (Posted on 8/18/16)

Primers came out of the brass after firing. one jammed my bolt had to have a gunsmith remove the bolt... expensive.

(Posted on 8/18/16)
------------------

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yup, this is consistent with reports I've had from customers. It's why i don't recommend Independence.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am very surprised and disappointed.

posted Hide Post
Damn, not the artwork worthy brass!

I've shot numerous rounds of their ammo and never had a problem. I haven't bought any lately, but I'll be sure to follow this as I haven't heard anything about it until now.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
That is disappointing, but you should really contact the manufacturer and give them the lot number(s). Depending on how much of it you have, I'd ask for some compensation as well. Regardless, they should be told about the problem.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
A quick google search shows that this problem has been around for a least 5 years.

Thanks for the post though, I sure won't buy any.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's Lake City ammunition, isn't it?

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Independence is made for Federal by IMI. Anyone hear of similar problems with their IMI? I'll hold off shooting mine for now.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up. Concerning.

I've used cases of IMI 5.56 before without issue (couple years ago). But I'll be more cautious now.

Is this limited to 5.56 do you think? I recently bought some of their JHP 9mm. Shot 100, no issues so far. But should I test more? Or do you think this issue might be limited to 5.56 for now?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Is this a recent batch of ammo? I'm halfway through my most recent case with no issues but it's older stock I'm just getting around to shooting.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of Independence and IMI 5.56 without a problem. This must be related to a bad lot. Perhaps you could email IMI or Federal with the lot number of the ammo you shot.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Here is photo of the back of the box.

The lot number can be seen on the box in the intro post.
FC16B001-169

I can understand a bad lot of ammunition, things happen during manufacture of most anything.
I am not pissed or anything, but want to warn you all about this lot of ammunition.

My rifle is fine, it's this lot of ammunition that is bad IMO.
I have shot IMI M193, IMI M855, and Winchester headstamped WCC in the rifle without any problems ever.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same issue with 300Blk Fiocchi. They were not to terribly interested in my opinion. I continued to press the matter and ended up getting several boxes of 40S&W in exchange.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Is this limited to 5.56 do you think? I recently bought some of their JHP 9mm. Shot 100, no issues so far. But should I test more? Or do you think this issue might be limited to 5.56 for now?

Probably not, in the sense of this is a bad lot of their 5.56.
I doubt there is any necessary spill over to other calibers.

Basically what was happening was that the case with the blown primer would eject, then another round would loaded with the bolt about a quarter inch or more from locking.

When those primers popped out, it was bitch to get things unstuck a few times.
The bolt was frozen each time.

I would bang the forward assist hard to close the bolt and then push the take down pin out to unlock the upper from the lower.
Then the search was on for the primer(s).
I found them in all sorts of different areas.

If you type in Independence 5.56 blown primers in your search engine, see what comes up.
Apparently others have had the same issues as I had.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I had this happen last time I went to the range in Maui--last year actually. I was thinking a problem with firing pin but now I'm going to try other Ammo first. Thanks.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the Independence Ammo I've shot has been loaded extremely hot. Recoil, velocity, primer flow, extractor swipes.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of boxes...different lot numbers.

Think I will shoot other rounds first.....

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, I've shot this stuff before with no issues but now I'm curious about the case I have sitting at home. :/

Posts: 79 | Registered: February 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Damn, not the artwork worthy brass!

You remembered. Nice.
Yes, it did look good didn't it?