SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me decide what AR upper to buy/build.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide what AR upper to buy/build. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, now you guys have got me looking at 6.8 SPC II. Seems like a solid hunting option (I really like that it appears to like shorter barrels = lighter gun for humping through the woods), and it also looks like it doesn't lose much to 6.5 Grendel out to about 500-600 yards. There also appear to be decent number of parts suppliers out there for it....possibly a bit more than 6.5 Grendel. Decisions, decisions...

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My 20inch 6.5 Grendel barrel & BCG arrived today.
It's going onto the Colt Competition upper & lower receivers that have been sitting awaiting me to make up my mind.
Waiting on the gas block, tube, 15" rail & comp to arrive from JoeBobs.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
When comparing performance of 223 to 300blk, you should really look at 69-77 grain 223 bullets versus the 125 grain blackouts. The industry backers of the blackout have often shown the blackout's superior ballistics to the 223, but generally with modern & heavier bullets in the 300 versus 55 ball ammo in 223.

Well that's a no brainer. Compare modern 73-77 grain match/hunting bullets to 55 FMJ in a 223, and the 55's don't look very good at all.

And for hunting, don't ignore the sectional density of a bullet like the 70gr barnes TSX vs. the 120 grain supersonic loads from the 300 Blackout.

300 Blackout is one caliber that can do both, in terms of supersonic rifle and subsonic (rifle but almost like a subgun). If you already have a supersonic rifle for hunting, the subsonic 300 blackout doesn't offer much over a suppressed 9mm in terms of terminal ballistics/quietness/etc.

A 200+ grain subsonic 300blk is going to penetrate more than a 147gr subsonic 9mm, but neither is adequate for deer IMHO, ok for HD but there are better choices.

Again, just my opinion.

I am looking at a 224 Valkyrie for a long range build. The 223 is incredibly versatile from varmint loads, to cheap stuff for blasting, and heavy high SD stuff for hunting. I would agree it is on the light end for deer sized game but if your state laws allow it, a prudent hunter can do very well with good bullets and a 223.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Well, now you guys have got me looking at 6.8 SPC II. Seems like a solid hunting option, and it also looks like it doesn't lose much to 6.5 Grendel out to about 500-600 yards.

If you're looking for a game hunting round, the 6.8 and 6.5 chamberings are noticeably more capable than 300blk. The increased powder capacity of the 6.5/6.8 is the primary factor of their higher kinetic energy -- plus the physics of a bore a little larger than 223.

To a certain extent there's not a huge difference between 6.5 and 6.8 energies. What does make a difference them is bullet selection, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent barrel length.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Well, now you guys have got me looking at 6.8 SPC II. Seems like a solid hunting option, and it also looks like it doesn't lose much to 6.5 Grendel out to about 500-600 yards.

If you're looking for a game hunting round, the 6.8 and 6.5 chamberings are noticeably more capable than 300blk. The increased powder capacity of the 6.5/6.8 is the primary factor of their higher kinetic energy -- plus the physics of a bore a little larger than 223.

To a certain extent there's not a huge difference between 6.5 and 6.8 energies. What does make a difference them is bullet selection, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent barrel length.

^^ Yes

The 6.8 has superior ballistics to 6.5G and 5.56 out of short barrels and superior ballistics at any barrel length to the 300 BLK subsonic or supersonic.

The idea that I could use a single chambering for a very capable 16" hunting rifle and a 8.5" multi-purpose pistol won me over to 6.8 SPC. Many people are successfully hunting both boar & deer with 11.2-12.5" barrel SBR's. In fact, I would have no hesitation taking a deer or boar at <100 yards with my 8.5" pistol, especially if I upgraded from red dot to a 1-4 scope. That said, I would prefer an SBR for hunting and that is my next build, just need a stamp.

Now Federal introduces the .224 Valkyrie based on the 6.8 case. BONUS!

Other than cost per round, I personally see no reason to build anything else. The 6.8 does everything I need, better than any other round.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post