SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want to buy a Garand from CMP, need a little help...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to buy a Garand from CMP, need a little help... Login/Join 
posted
Hey all...

I have always wanted a Garand in either .308 or .30-06. I think I would prefer the .30-06 to be honest.

Anyway, I have never purchased from the CMP and I am not sure how the process works. I am reading the "how to" info on the CMP's website, but there are a couple of things that I am unsure about.

They are:

Membership in a CMP affiliated organization. I looked at their website and there are no clubs near enough to me that I really want to join (too far or associated with the Boys Scouts). I thought I read somewhere on SF once that there was an organization that I could simply send $25 bucks to and I would be covered.

How do you specify the grade of rifle you want? I assume that there are different grades? I would like something at the higher end and I do not intend to do any garage gunsmithing on it myself (I will do it with pistols, ARs and 10-22s, AKs, but not a Garand). I don't see anything about grade on the order form.

Can the rifle be shipped directly to me, or do I have to worry about sending it to an FFL and pay the transfer fees ($75 is the best rate I have been able to find around me)? I am in Ohio (Columbus).

Should I purchase ammo from the CMP or is there enough Garand safe ammo (surplus and new manufacture) out on the market? I shop local, SGAmmo and Wideners typically.

I handled a Garand in poor condition recently and really, REALLY want a shooter now.

Thanks in advance...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not make the drive to the north store and pick one out for yourself? Looks like you are only a little over two hours away from Camp Perry.

The different grades and options are each their own product number as listed on the CMP website here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Not all grades are available at all times and sometimes the stores have grades or options listed as sold out online.

Sounds like a Special Grade might appeal to you.

The CMP website should have a list of affiliated clubs including the GCA. You can join the GCA right there at the north store.

If you buy at the story you take it with you same day. If you order via mail, some states require shipment to an FFL, otherwise it will be delivered to your door.

There is still surplus ammp out there to be found but the CMP is out. They are or were running a deal where if you bought a rifle, you could buy 200 rounds of Creedmore ammo with Lapua brass for around .65 a round which is a pretty fair price for new production ammo these days.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a Service Grade Rifle from the CMP. VERY happy with it. Looks new to me and others who are into Garands. Also mine is very accurate as well. I shoot military issue cast bullet events. Mine was shooting so well I had a number of other competitors checking out mine very carefully to make sure it was legal.

I believe you are talking about the Garand collectors association. That is who I went with for the club.

http://thegca.org/

And mine was shipped directly to me from the CMP.

I would be very careful about ammo. Make sure it is for a Garand!! I did purchase ammo for mine from the CMP. Was cheaper from them at the time. Wrong ammo can damage it.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... I can simply join the GCA at the store or online and that satisfies the membership requirements? Got it. If I decide to go to Camp Perry, then I will join the GCA before I get there.

Due to their hours of operation and my work schedule, I may not be able to get there for a few weeks. If I cannot get there, do the gunsmiths/store workers "hand pick" rifles for a fee or do they simply go the the rack with the particular grade of rifle you want and grab the first one they see?

Is there an advantage to calling/ordering from one store over the other?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't want to sound stupid when I speak with the folks from the CMP.

Thanks...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you take a trip to one of the CMP stores, you can go to the rack with the particular grade of rifles you want and hand pick one yourself. Sometimes, if they have time, an employee can help guide you.

If you mail order a rifle, it's luck of the draw from the next available rifle within that specified grade. Mail order rifles don't come from the store inventory. They come from the CMP warehouse.

Rifle quality will be equivalent whether you go to a store or mail order it. But if you're an advanced collector who's wanting to hand pick for something like a particular year of manufacture, your only option for hand pick is to go in person to a store and dig through the racks yourself.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all of you for all of the info so far.

Okay... Another question that I am sure will make me look stupid...

Muzzle Guage and Throat Guage?

I know what these are and just finished watching the "M14 Throat Erosion and Muzzle Wear Check" video by benny6.

Looking at the CMP auctions, I see muzzle erosion and throat errosion numbers listed. If 1 of the numbers had to be higher than the other, I am assuming you would want the muzzle erosion to be the high number?

Also, I am assuming based on the video that a higher number = less good, lower number = better?

Tony/benny6 did not go into this in his video.

Thanks again...

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
You can't order by phone from either store. It is either hand pick yourself at the store or mail order.

The folks at the stores have the TE and MW gauges and will check anything off the rack if you ask.

Lower MW is more important than a low TE.

Lower numbers are better. The tags on each rifle will indicate the TE/MW of the barrel on that rifle. They may actually gauge a bit better than the tags indicate. To give you some frame of reference, in my experience, NOS GI barrels can have a TE of 0-2 and a MW of 0-1.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a "service grade" M1 that is very nice. New wood, receiver and barrel are very good at least for me.

Surplus 30.06 tends to be a bit pricey. I've gotten Prvi made for the M1 from sgammo for a more reasonable price.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog...ammo-sale/30-06-ammo

Or you can buy a special gas plug which smooths the peak pressure on the operating rod and makes it safe to shoot regular commercial ammo.

http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concerning surplus ammo, I would make sure you get Non-corrosive ammo. It makes life easier for you. Occasionally I see some surplus ammo listed as corrosive for sale.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking about going to the north store in a couple of weeks, you would be better off joining the GCA while at the store. Sometimes the GCA runs slow on reporting memberships to the CMP. Also you could call the store on Thursday or Friday and they will give you an idea on what should be available on Saturday.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joining the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation also counts as an affiliated club. Ordering is easy, just follow their instructions.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most state rifle and pistol associations are also considered affiliated clubs

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Surplus 30.06 tends to be a bit pricey. I've gotten Prvi made for the M1 from sgammo for a more reasonable price.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog...ammo-sale/30-06-ammo

I shot some of this a friend had. It worked well.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Besides membership to a club, you also need to show proof of firearms proficiency, either with a permit to carry, military training, LEO training, or some range officer signing off that he saw you shoot some targets I believe. Make sure to bring that. Going to CMP North Store is a great experience, if they are well stocked. I would call ahead to check if they've had any recent shipments or restock, otherwise you might get stuff thats been picked over since their last shipments in November. They are only open Thurs-Sat, get there at least 15-mins before they open, possibly earlier, you will likely have at least a dozen others waiting with you. You will pay tax on what you buy at either store.

If you buy mail order, you don't get to see what you are paying for ahead of time, but you will get your money's worth, and possibly then some, because it will most likely be something that has not been in the racks at either store, so nobody else has had an opportunity to buy it. It will also be tax free and assuming your state doesn't have any weird FFL requirements, it will be SHIPPED TO YOUR FRONT DOOR, delivered by the Big White Truck (aka Fed-Ex overnight express!) You will have to sign for the rifle, they won't leave it on your porch. If you can't be there, you can have it held at a Fed-Ex location. If you buy ammo mail order, it won't be able to be held at most Fed-Ex locations and you will have to sign for it.

Once you get your first, you will then need all 4 makers, then maybe a M1D or M1C, then maybe a .308. Make room in the safe.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am about an hour from CMP north, and I visited the store in the fall of 2016. At that time they had about 50 M1 rifles on the rack. They were all Winchester receivers with new stocks and new barrels. THey were designated as "RMI Special". I spent about a week and a half finishing the stock with Tung Oil.

With the new stock mine doesn't have that worn patina of many of the old battle rifles, but I bought this to be a shooter, and the new barrel eliminated any wear concerns. I have been very happy with this purchase.

I would have purchased a second M1 last year when I went there for the Nationals, but I ended up buying the Bula M14 receiver/barrel combo at about that time, along with their parts kit and CBR chassis. That was a fun build, and a rewarding effort.

I agree with previous posts, it would be best for you to visit the store. The staff there is very knowledgeable as well.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

Thank you for the information so far…

I am thinking of going next Friday. I will be taking the day off as this is my birthday weekend. Cool

I have a valid and current Ohio CCW license. Per the proficiency requirements, that should cover me, correct?

Also, when I join the GCA, won’t I get some kind of registration from them (an e-mail with an ID number at the very least) that I can take with me to so proof of membership?

I have all of the documentation filled-out.

Should I take cash or pay by credit card?

I am getting a little excited. Big Grin

This will not be a safe queen. I will shoot it at least 4 or more times per year and it will be very well cared for.

The safe (a Liberty Presidential 50) is overflowing, so I will have to displace guns or remove some shelves.

I probably will not get there until 11 AM due to work. Will I be able to do everything I need to in 5 hours or will I end up getting screwed due to it being overcrowded?

Thanks again…

The "Boz"

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I got my first Garand by going to the North Store. It was awesome being able to handle so many pieces of history. I was able to get a Rack Grade for $495 when I was there. Then shot the 100 anniversary Garand match at Perry with my father. I also bought several tins of Greek Ammo and didn't buy enough at the time. Smile

As for the club requirement I believe I joined the local Garand Club while at the store at Perry for $25.

Other thing is if you go to the store. You can ask the guys behind the counter if any guns are about to be put out that day. They let me look through three before they hit shelves and two had TE and ME under a 2.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
As far as I know shipping a firearm in Ohio requires shipping it to a FFL holder. A fee may be involved and usually is.

You will enjoy your new purchase.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:

Also, when I join the GCA, won’t I get some kind of registration from them (an e-mail with an ID number at the very least) that I can take with me to so proof of membership?

You will and the CMP has access to the GCA database. That said, if you mail in your GCA application tomorrow, it might not be processed and in the system by next Friday. That's why I recommend joining at the North Store when you go.

As one of the other posters mentioned, call the store the day before you go to verify inventory before making the drive. As for the time of day, earlier is better, but I was there helping a buddy on the 21st and did not get there until around 11-11:30AM local time and there were still 12-15 service grades on the racks and only a couple of customers in the store.

posted Hide Post
Never been to the north store, but lived in AL and went to the south store. If its anything like that you'll thoroughly enjoy the trip and picking out a Garand. With luck you'll get an employee with the time to go through them with you, as its a Friday maybe you'll get lucky. I don't know what they sell ammo for now, but 7-8 years ago the Greek stuff was very reasonable, I would assume not so much anymore. As others have said, I've also shot some of the Prvi stuff and it shot well so no concerns there. Good luck and have fun with the trip.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post