SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want to buy a Garand from CMP, need a little help...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to buy a Garand from CMP, need a little help... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
As far as I know shipping a firearm in Ohio requires shipping it to a FFL holder. A fee may be involved and usually is.

You will enjoy your new purchase.

Cmp is a different animal and with the exception of the usual suspects ( ca by nj etc) a cmp gun is shipped directly to the customer without an ffl involved

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Hate to butt into the OP but if I have a non neighboring state DL and permit can I still buy and pick up at the north store? Or do I have to ship it?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Hate to butt into the OP but if I have a non neighboring state DL and permit can I still buy and pick up at the north store? Or do I have to ship it?

you can pick up, or you can have it shipped,

shipped means shipping charge, but no sales tax,

pick which ever is cheapest

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
This is good timing. Im planning in sending in for one or two of my own as well.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I found on several occasions I bought from the south store its cheaper to ship.
Damn Ala sales tax is steep.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if I can select a rifle and then have it shipped (if taxes are more than expected)? I will ask the employees when I visit.

Can anyone confirm that my Ohio CCW license will suffice for proof of proficiency? The purchasing requirements state that this should work, but I would like to confirm.

Also, should I take cash or credit card? If I take cash, will they wave any normal credit card fees (usually 3%)?

I may also pick up an M1 carbine. Not sure though as I am not sure how much the Garand will cost. Looking at the auction site, I may have underestimated the cost. I have a few $1000 to spend, but I am starting to think that may not be enough... Maybe I should be looking at a SCAR 17S???

Thank you all so far. The info you have provided has been typical SF... outstanding an timely.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The CMP no longer has M1 Carbines for sale in store or by mail. Haven't for years. That ship has sailed.

They get a handful of Carbines each year that they auction off, but as you've noticed, they tend to go for really steep prices.

If you want a M1 Carbine, you can get a former CMP carbine for $800-$1500 on the secondary market. Keep an eye out for WTS ads on milsurp forums like Gunboards or the CMP Forum.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to break it to you but from what I’ve been reading on the odcmp.com website is I believe that the only way you can have one shipped without sending in a mail order is if you can produce an airline ticket.

Hate to butt into the OP but if I have a non neighboring state DL and permit can I still buy and pick up at the north store? Or do I have to ship it?[/QUOTE]

you can pick up, or you can have it shipped,

shipped means shipping charge, but no sales tax,

pick which ever is cheapest[/QUOTE]

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the M1 Carbines on the auction site, so I thought they were still sold off the racks in the stores. If not, oh well, that is not the gun I am primarily interested in. Like I said, my goal is to get a Garand.

I am seriously getting a little concerned about prices though. Looking at the auctions, I am wondering if I can get into a shooter for $1500. The auction site has them going for $800+ to $2000 for service grade (with a lot of time left on the auctions). Are these prices consistent with what is in the stores? On the CMP site (the page explaining the grades), they show costs of some rifles within the various grades and they do not match what the auctions are showing, so I am confused.

I admit I know nothing about the market for these rifles.

How much money should I have with me to get a good shooting rifle that is cosmetically "pleasing", but shows its history? I will also want to pick up a couple of items like a sling and other accessories that are period correct (cleaning kit maybe, clips if they have them, etc.). Should I plan on this costing me $2000+?

I am looking at the grades again to see what my minimum is and what I want to see for throat and muzzle numbers. Any suggestions as to what should be my minimums/maximums? I am currently thinking Service Grade or CMP Special. They have models listed in these grades on their grading page from $1000 to $1250 (which is why I was planning on $1500).

I could drop $3000-$4000, but am I throwing money away at that point?

Opinions appreciated.

I will be reading up all I can this weekend and next week before heading up there early next Friday morning. And yes, I will call the day before to see what they have and humbly ask for assistance from the employees when I get there as I will admit I am unfamiliar with the intricacies of these rifles.

Again... You guys are great. Thanks!

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ignore the auction prices. You are way overthinking this.

The rifles offered at auction are not typical rifles. They're for collectors, and tend to have one or more special trait, being from an especially desirable year, or non-refurbished condition, or a rare variant of a part, or the like. That's why collectors bid them up to these high prices at auction.

But these are not normal CMP rifles. As rifles are pulled from the CMP warehouse and graded, the graders identify rare rifles, collectible rifles, and rifles with special characteristics and set them aside for auction.

The rifles you'll be choosing from at the store are more mundane rifles, without any fancy highly-desired collectible characteristics. These run-of-the-mill Garands are what are offered for sale through the stores or mail order, and they be priced according to the standard CMP prices on their website.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Prices are determined by manufacturer, and by type/condition. All rifles within a certain category will be priced the same. So you don't have to guess at what you'll be paying. The prices are published.

If what you want is a standard shooter Garand, you won't be paying $2000, $3000, or $4000. Get a Service Grade HRA/Springfield for $750.

So when you get to the store, you'd find the Service Grade rack(s), then find the section(s) of the Service Grade rack(s) with the HRA and Springfield rifles, all of which will be $750. You would then hand pick through these for either the best muzzle/throat readings, or the prettiest rifle, depending on which you prefer.

With a service grade rifle, a sling, some clips, and tax, you should spend less than $1000. (Unless you want to spend more on a fancier rifles, or stock up on ammo, or something else.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue... Not that I wouldn't spend $2000, I was just a little confused. Because I am a novice, I did not read anything in the auction descriptions that made me think, "Oh... that is why that $2200+".

What would be your minimums for muzzle/throat if you do not mind?

The "Boz"

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
None of the Service Grade rifles will gauge over a 3 in Muzzle Erosion or over a 5 in Throat Erosion. The smaller the number the better, but even a 3/5 will still shoot just fine for the casual plinker.

So basically, any Service Grade rifle should suit your purposes. A Service Grade is the best "bang for the buck" regarding price vs. condition, and should serve you well as a casual (i.e. non-competition) shooter.

It's really fairly simple. Basically, find the prettiest rifle, with the lowest M/E and T/E numbers, in the category that's priced at what you can afford.

If that means all you can afford is a Field Grade, find the prettiest Field Grade with the lowest M/E and T/E numbers you can. And if that means you're going to get a Service Grade, find the prettiest Service Grade with the lowest M/E and T/E numbers you can. Wink

(The Special Grade rifles are built using USGI receiver and new production parts. They don't have quite the same history as the Field/Service Grade rifles and IMO are not worth the markup unless you plan to compete in rifle competitions with it and want the new production Criterion barrel.)

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I wanted a M1 I was ready to buy from the CMP.I wanted a shooter but also wanted something that looked nice and would have no issues as to wear.
Instead, I ordered a Garand from Tony.
Looks like new, new barrel,everything good to go. I have shot it for about 10+ years and never a problem.
http://garandguy.com/

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue and all...

I will be making the trip regardless on Friday.

If I do not find something I like or am having doubts about what is there, I will still be happy I made the trip.

I am calling next Thursday to see what they believe will be available on Friday and will ask for help when I get there.

One thing I did not consider were the other gunsmiths/companies that also offer Garands that although may have a lesser history, may be better guns. Thanks Armored for the information on Garand Guy. I will look into this, but will not pursue this unless I find absolutely nothing I like at the CMP.

I am not looking for shiny and new, but I am looking for something that is accurate and has some life left in it. Therefor, I am on the hunt for low T/E, M/E and maybe even a new barrel. I am going to shoot the snot out of the gun and already have friends and friends with land lined up who want to shoot it (I ordered 2,000 rounds of ammo today and am currently looking for en bloc clips along with other accessories).

Still reading a lot about these guns. I will look at the website, but do any of you know if CMP offers "for hire" gunsmithing? Meaning, if I wanted an M1 rebarreled, would they do that for a fee?

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman

Meaning, if I wanted an M1 rebarreled, would they do that for a fee?

Yes they will rebarrel for you. I think they use criterion barrels. You just have to contact them first and get the ok to send authorization

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I ordered 2,000 rounds of ammo today and am currently looking for en bloc clips along with other accessories).

Sir, I have an M1 that I got about 1980. It was the DCM then and I got the gun for less then $200.00. I am happy with it but think about buying another. I am always looking for 30-06 ammo. I am curious where you ordered your ammo from and what it cost? Thank you, Ironworker.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
All mail orders for Garands are shipped from Anniston.

My first one in 2015 had a bent front sight tang I found upon opening the box. I called and requested to purchase one but they sent it no charge.

The first range day I noticed that upon ejection there was a ring around the cartridge neck. And another shooter at my club noticed the numbers on the bolt had been ground off, said that because it was a Service Grade I should call the CMP about that too.

I called that Monday and spoke to an armorer. I told him about the burr and the ground down bolt, he said that they would send a call tag for the rifle and added that while acceptable for a Field Grade it was not for a Service Grade.

Four weeks turnaround was quoted, I had it back in two.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To keep this subject going, here's a quick shot of my 1950's Era Service Grade CMP Garand.
Long story, but it came bedded/trigger job and may have been a match-prepped Garand from the service branch it came from.
If they could only talk!

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironworker...

Sorry for the delay in the response. Work has been nuts.

I got the Privi Partizan .30-06 Garand ammo from SGAmmo.com.

I have a bad buying bug right now. On Friday I purchased a SIG P365, (5) 12-round mags, ordered a new Crossbreed holster and Talon Grip for it as well. I am also on the waiting list for a GrayGuns Flat Trigger for the thing.

This is going to be an expensive couple of weeks!

I have not purchased any enbloc clips, carboards or bandoliers yet, those are next. Also looking at a ported gas plug, gas plug wrench and a bunch of other doodads.

Again, this is going to get expensive.

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
I need some trusted website where I can purchase M1 supplies and accessories.

I have found a couple already. Are these reputable sites?

www.ammogarand.com
www.garandgear.com

If there are others that have better pricing or are associated with SIGForum members, I would like to know.

Thanks in advance...

The "Boz"