SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Potential New 6.8 Military Round
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential New 6.8 Military Round Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
One of the problems with polymer cased ammo is keeping the case head intact. There have been two times that I'm aware of that poymer cases have gotten all the way into early production, only to have insurmountable case head issues crop up. I found the design of this case interesting because instead of trying to bond the polymer case body to a brass case head along a seam line, the case head is enclosed by the polymer case body itself. Also, the case shoulder and neck doesn't mimick the contours of traditional metal cased ammo meaning a new and unique chamber design, and no cross compatability with current 6.8mm ammunition. It may go nowhere, but I find it interesting none the less.

https://www.military.com/daily...SRC=army-a_190911.nl

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post.
As I mentioned in another thread about the proposed new weapons system, it will be interesting to see if anyone can finally develop a durable and reliable polymer-cased cartridge. One thing that just occurred to me after seeing the photo of this proposal is that not being limited to a current cartridge design might make it more feasible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
If the military switches to this new round, range clean up will be a breeze! Just get a telescoping magnetic retrieval tool, or hang a magnet from some 550 cord and just walk around. Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ahhh, buzzwords.

quote:
designed to replace the ... in close-combat units.

quote:
substantially increased effective range

If you're a 'close combat unit' and your #1 issue is lack of range, you're doing something wrong.
I know that's a simplistic & smart ass comment based on a BS 'rah rah, go team' article, but it's why this will fail.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post