SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do I want an AR10?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I want an AR10? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who contributed, very educational.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Thank you all for your perspectives. Food for thought. I can see I need to determine the goal first. And Porter, that's a nice rifle! Would love to see how it smokes Smile

I highly recommend taking up PorterN's offer to shoot his AR10. There's nothing like first hand experience with a platform that you haven't shot before.

PorterN -- that's a nice rifle. Really nice.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all for your perspectives. Food for thought. I can see I need to determine the goal first. And Porter, that's a nice rifle! Would love to see how it smokes Smile

Gross assumption on my part, but I suspect that living in Utah, you would have access to land that would allow you to shoot far enough to enjoy something like an AR-10.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

Gross assumption on my part, but I suspect that living in Utah, you would have access to land that would allow you to shoot far enough to enjoy something like an AR-10.

Oh yeah. We have the west desert. It's the wild, wild west out there.

Porter will def get a call this Spring. He has great taste in guns Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DF and fritz! It's definitely one of my favorites. My brother and I went out and shot it again last Tuesday and was reminded how damn great it is. Unfortunately it was indoor so it was only at 25 yards. When we're out in the desert, I'm no long-range shooter, but my brother just "gets it" if that makes sense. We've been able to dial it in well, though. I'm ready to go out and shoot it when you are, DF! Cool

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, the "AR10" is available in a number of different caliber's as well. Benchmark has an excellent array of caliber's to choose from (but as I recently found out, delivery is 13 weeks out), also they need your bolt for proper head spacing ... There is no standard like with the AR15, which was another contributing factor when I chose JP Enterprise.

The one I built last year is a 6.5 Creedmoor, everything was JP except the upper and lower receivers which i chose the Spikes Jack 308, trigger, Geisselle 2-stage Super Dynamic Enhanced with the flat bow, Magpul PRS stock, topped off with Leupold Mark4 ER/T 8.5-25x50 and steadied by an Atlas bipod.

Besides being very accurate (even in my hands) my favorite aspects are the low mass bolt carrier (very light recoil) and the captured recoil spring (no twang) ...

Top, 6.5 Creedmoor, Bottom is 223 pretty much the same except the upper of the 223 is about 8-9 years old

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Gen 1 DPMS LR308's with the 18" bull barrel. It was around $1100 barely used at a pawnshop back when prices were much higher than currently. It has a lot of recoil for a .308, but it is a tack driver and it has only ever hiccuped on soft lead-nose hunting bullets which would get deformed exiting the old-style stainless magazines.

The 168 grain Federal GMM rounds make one hole groups out to 200 yards on a good day. Maybe I just got lucky but I am very happy with it being from a budget manufacturer The factory trigger was horrible. I have a CMC 3(ish) lb single stage that I like, but could do with a hair less creep.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for a real AR-10 (not a .308 AR-15), Brownells has an AR-10 retro clone coming out.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx...tpage.aspx?bapid=606

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Armalite AR10T. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. Recoil is not bad at all. Much less than my Rem 700SS 5R in 308.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, the "AR10" is available in a number of different caliber's as well. Benchmark has an excellent arrayed caliber's to choose from (but as I recently found out, delivery is 13 weeks out), also they need your bolt for proper head spacing ... There is no standard like with the AR15, which was another contributing factor when I chose JP Enterprise.

The one I built last year is a 6.5 Creedmoor, everything was JP except the upper and lower receivers which is the Spikes 308 Jack, trigger, Geisselle 2-stage Super Dynamic Enhanced with the flat bow, Magpul PRS stock, topped off with Leupold Mark4 ER/T 8.5-25x50 and steadied by an Atlas bipod.

Besides being very accurate (even in my hands) my favorite aspects are the low mass bolt carrier (very light recoil) and the captured recoil spring (no twang) ...

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
If you’re looking for a real AR-10 (not a .308 AR-15), Brownells has an AR-10 retro clone coming out.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx...tpage.aspx?bapid=606

Damb you Dwill104! Smile
You just cost me $1709!
I'm a bit behind in my email send was catching I followed your curseed link to Brownell's and there ... The very first item was a rifle I've been wanting for at least a couple decades, a clone of the original AR-10!
Armalite was offering them for a while but I missed out ... But not this time. It's a pre-order, but I'm on the list ... Thanks!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Damb you Dwill104! Smile
You just cost me $1709!
I'm a bit behind in my email send was catching I followed your curseed link to Brownell's and there ... The very first item was a rifle I've been wanting for at least a couple decades ...

Now you need this excellent book:

https://www.amazon.com/Armalit...Battle/dp/0889355835

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the Aero Precision M5 stuff, Ive built several for friends and am building one for myself. Very nice receivers and parts, and prices are good. I used X Caliber barrels in the last couple and they are tack drivers. Ive done two complete Areo 308s, a 7mm-08 and a .243, working on the second 7mm-08.
Superlative Arms adjustable gas blocks make them shoot very soft IMO.

GrayGuns is also an Aero Precision dealer so email me if I can help if you find something you like.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a pre-order, but I'm on the list ...

An AR-10 in 308? I seem to recall your stating osteoporosis meant shooting a 308 was unwise.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
It's a pre-order, but I'm on the list ...

An AR-10 in 308? I seem to recall your stating osteoporosis meant shooting a 308 was unwise.

Your recall is correct, I was on 2400mg of calcium a day, with a yearly infusion of reclast for 3 years, the first year my bone density went from -4 to -3 but in the next 2 years it didn't improve ...
(A man my age should be at + or - 1)
This year my doc at Mayo switched me from the Reclast to Forteo which is a daily injection, and still on 2400mg of calcium ... so I have hopes that one day in the next couple of years I'll get to shoot it ... And while its within my grasp I'm going for it and if that day doesn't come, at least I'll have one for a while ... I could re-barrel it to 6.5 Creedmoor but that would be kind of redundant as I don't really need 2 that don't have interchamble parts.

Edit to add, Ostioprosis starts at -2 ... I'm not sure if that's the right way to word it.
I think, because of my health issues my boss who is 55 and had a "complete" physical, which included a bone density test, and his doctor wanted him to start doing weight bearing exercises to improve his bone density. I'm kind of suprised that that's not another recommended thing they do when a man turns 50 ...

posted Hide Post
Back when you could get 1000 rounds of military surplus ammo (South African, British Radway Green, Malaysian, Hirtenberger or whatever for less than $200 it made sense. Now? Expensive platform to run.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
Back when you could get 1000 rounds of military surplus ammo (South African, British Radway Green, Malaysian, Hirtenberger or whatever for less than $200 it made sense. Now? Expensive platform to run.

Actually, no more expensive than a bolt action rifle of the same caliber. The cost depends on the shooter.

Yanking the trigger as fast as possible with a Ruger 10/22 will consume mag after mag after mag of ammo if the shooter so desires. A day of shooting can get expensive; accuracy can be lacking.

I feed my AR-10 and AR-15s the same quality match ammo as I do my bolt action rifles. My goal is to hit all targets with the first shot. The beauty of an AR is allowing the shooter a follow up shot without manually cycling the bolt. Assuming the shooter understands fundamentals of marksmanship, and thus can spot his own impacts -- the AR's rapid follow up shot can correct for windage and elevation aiming errors before the wind changes.

Any platform shot with spray-and-pray methods will be expensive to run. Platforms shot with quality ammo and with precision aiming can be very reasonable to run.

posted Hide Post
quote:
... so I have hopes that one day in the next couple of years I'll get to shoot it ... And while its within my grasp I'm going for it and if that day doesn't come, at least I'll have one for a while ...

Hopefully it all works out for you. My elder sister has lower levels of osteo, as does my Dad.

Nine years ago I had micro fracture surgery to my left femur, when a serious ski injury -- a high speed impact with a tree -- didn't heal properly. Following surgery, the ortho surgeon stated my bone density was good (I didn't receive quantitative results) and they moved forward with rehab that would treat me similarly to the US Ski Team guys who had similar challenges. Even though I was roughly double the Team guys' ages.

I've been pushing weights since my early teens. The orthopedic guys said never stop doing so. I just got off my bicycle in the basement and pushed some weights afterwards. I suspect your doc may consider some type of cardio and/or weight routine.

Best of luck. But I wouldn't invest in heavier chamberings if I were you.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
<SNIP>
I just got off my bicycle in the basement and pushed some weights afterwards. I suspect your doc may consider some type of cardio and/or weight routine.

Best of luck. But I wouldn't invest in heavier chamberings if I were you.

Thanks ... I have hopes that I can shoot it some day ... at this point I'm not even considering anything bigger ... not even a 12ga.

Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
I steer people away from 308, regardless of the application.

fritz, can you elaborate a bit?

I own a couple AR-10s in .308, and I'm thinking about a third... should I be looking at this from a different perspective?

Thanks,

Sam

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post