SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    6.8 SPC
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
6.8 SPC Login/Join 
posted
As a recreational shooter and reloader I am fascinated with an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC. But then I was also fascinated with the 45GAP & 327 Federal cartridges so I don't have a track record of picking winners!

Is the 6.8 an up-and-commer or just a Federally funded wildcat soon to be found only in Cartridges of the World? Is it actually being used by military or LE? If you have one, what has been your experience with it?

Posts: 2184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had 4 different 6.8 rifles over the years. Started with an early DPMS then traded that for another DPMS w/the specII chamber. Neither were as accurate as I had hoped. Bought a Ruger SR556 upper that was chambered in the 6.8 and that was much better as far as the accuracy issue but was way too heavy. Traded that off and now own a Daniel Defense M4V7. I think I've found a keeper.

The cartridge works extremely well on coyotes and I've taken a couple white tail with the previously owned models. It's a great intermediate cartridge for hunting thin skinned game.

Ammunition is fairly available in my area but it can be a little on the expensive side. Not all brands are stocked locally but I can make do. I have saved my brass since day one so at some point I will find time to reload.

I say go for it. It's a popular enough caliber that if you dislike it, you can get out of it fairly painlessly.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 539 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Report This Post
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I just ordered my first 6.8 last night....it's a Daniel Defense also. I've got about 10 Barrett mags to go with it so far. I'm anticipating purchasing ammo in bulk online.

Posts: 1241 | Location: NRH, TX | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Ammo is becoming more available. Remington UMC is supposed to be selling bulk FMJ for under $12 a box sometime in the near future. So far all I have been able to get was Hornady and SSA that I found online and shipped to MIL's house. SSA sells in bulk and is a great ammo company. Even Hornady can be found for under $1/round. Not great, but not horrendous either.

I chose the round for large game and something that can use the standard AR-15 lower. Some folks think the world of 6.5 Grendel too but I have seen any ammo for it on the shelf either.

DHS, PRI and Barret make good mags. C-products have been known to have issues. I personally use PRI. One thing to pay attention to, especially if you reload is the COAL of the rounds vs the magazine you are using. I can't wait to work up some loads for mine.

I too was a fan of .45 GAP, but somebody offered me 2 44's for the glock, so it went away.

Alaska.... No vacancy

Posts: 2948 | Location: AK | Registered: December 31, 2009Report This Post
Picture of JW1069
posted Hide Post
The 6.8SPC is pretty well established by now. Factory ammo and reloading components are both readily available. Depending on your intended use, the 6.8 can be very effective for hunting and SD.

I would suggest going with one of the top 6.8 makers if you decide to go this route. You could check out 68forums for all kinds of detailed info, certainly more than I could mention in one post.

Posts: 7189 | Location:  | Registered: January 23, 2007Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I like my 6.8 and there is ammo even in the panic.
Being a reloader I don't use of the rack ammo as a general rule.
I am a stickler on bullets and this round I like Sierra 110 gn spitzers for hunting.
30.06 I like round nose 180 hornadys for hunting

Posts: 17048 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I am concerned, 6.8SPC is what 5.56mm should have been a long time ago.

Picture of Crang11
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a 6.8. It does everything peole attempt hunting with a 5.56 but does them far better. It was also designed to work with short barrels, SBRs, without giving up much velocity. I finally pulled the chronograph out yesterday and was pushing 85gr Barnes TTSX bullets in SSA made ammo about 2850fps out of a 12.5" barrel. Super handy brush gun for whacking pigs.

---------------------------------

Ethos Anthropos Daimon

Posts: 1250 | Location: Texas Hills | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I built one of my AR's into a 6.8spc for hogs.
Great shooter and very accurate.
Normal accuracy parameters apply - IE: barrel, load/ammo, trigger, optics, shooter's ability, conditions and distance ... etc.
I use only PRI mags and they are very good but not every lower will allow them to drop free.
I had to switch from a JD Machine lower to a Mega to make it work.
So check your mags.

Pic of when it was JD Machine.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of enthusiasm has recently been shifting towards 300 AAC Blackout.

I still wrestle which "alternate" caliber I'd go with in an AR (6.8 SPC was at the top of my list, but as I dig a little further in, the merits of the .300 AAC also show up, especially in the magazine department).

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 8725 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Report This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
smschulz, what optic mount is that?

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1049 | Location: Southwest Washington State | Registered: February 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's mine:

LWRC lower 6.8 marked, Magpul UBR stock, H2 buffer, RRA 2 stage trigger, Standard LPK

Upper is a DPMS slick side with a Fail Zero Coated bolt carrier, and LWRC ACBolt, Bison Armory Barrel 16 in, and a MI Gen 2 Handguard.

It is a very capable rifle, accurate, and so far with out a hiccup.
The suppressor is an AAC 7.62 SD.

Took 2 Deer with it this year.

That being said, I also have a few other calibers in AR platform.
The 300 Blk is interesting, so is the 9mm, 458 socom and 223 wylde.
All have their place. If you define what you want to do with the cartridge the build will define itself.

DON'T Die a virgin............
Seriously there are terrorist up there waiting for you

Posts: 214 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I think a lot of enthusiasm has recently been shifting towards 300 AAC Blackout.

I still wrestle which "alternate" caliber I'd go with in an AR (6.8 SPC was at the top of my list, but as I dig a little further in, the merits of the .300 AAC also show up, especially in the magazine department).

I'm in the same boat. I'm really torn on what to do for my next rifle. I like the idea of using the same mags and having the choice between supersonic and subsonic 300BLK, but the better ballistics of 6.8 are attractive too. Both would be great SBRed.

Posts: 904 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JW1069:
I would suggest going with one of the top 6.8 makers if you decide to go this route. You could check out 68forums for all kinds of detailed info, certainly more than I could mention in one post.

what is your short list of "top makers"?

Anyone have experience with Yankee Hill? Midway has some 6.8 complete uppers on sale. I could get into the 6.8 the (relatively) cheap using the lower from one of the ARs I have.

Posts: 2184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
Here's mine:

Ok, I am drooling!

Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
On paper i love the 6.8. I think its one of hte best intermediate rounds between 5.56 and 308 in the "tactical world" and is ideal for mid sized game hunting. (more so then 300BO)

That said it seems as if 300BO is pulling ahead in the intermediate AR caliber race because it is more suited for supressor work and slightly more appropriate for the standard AR platform.

Posts: 1870 | Location: NYC Metro | Registered: November 19, 2008Report This Post
Picture of charlieb
posted Hide Post
I like the 6.8SPC. I've got one of my latest builds that will do a 5 shot group at 1.33 inches at 200 yards using 120 grn SSA hollow points, and 168 inches with 110 grn Hornady VMAX. I've built ARs from 204 ruger to 458 socom; and 6.8SPCII is my favorite round.

CHARLIEB

[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
-----)_'_\ * (
''---------\ - \
''----------\*_\

A few sigs, a couple revolvers, and a few others

"Here hold my beer while I light this" Lefty

Posts: 2602 | Location: Texas- West of DFW Metromess (Weatherford) | Registered: April 29, 2006Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:
smschulz, what optic mount is that?

American Defense Ad RECON

Posts: 9212 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1049 | Location: Southwest Washington State | Registered: February 27, 2006Report This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.8 SPC is here to stay, though it will never be as popular as 5.56 or 7.62. There are a lot of big names making 6.8's these days, Wilson Combat,LMT,LWRC, and Daniel Defense just to name a few. I have a Stag upper on a LMT lower that I'm very happy with, in fact I'd rather shoot it than a 5.56 AR.

May contain dictatorial tendencies

Posts: 5899 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Report This Post