SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint Pro - Red Line - Normal or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Pro - Red Line - Normal or not? Login/Join 
Picture of Sammael
posted
Hola Gang:

Got a red line running from about 10 o clock to about 4 o clock on my Aimpoint Pro. Looks to be a reflection of the rear lens bouncing off the front.

It's curved, and behind it looks like a red cloud or red glare. This would be consistent with relecting lenses that are positioned at juuuust the right angle.

Much more noticeable under indoor lighting, and only when lighting hits the rear of the unit. However, it's present at times under normal conditions (outside and moving around), but under any sort of indoor lighting, it's borderline distracting - and visible just about any time there is light coming from behind the unit.

Not my pics, but this is exactly how mine looks.

The user that posted these said he sent his back and received a unit that still did it, but less intensely.

Some folks said 'Oh no! That's terrible! Send it back!' - Others said it was borderline normal, and that theirs did the same thing.

Anyone here had the same thing happen?

Is this a 'normal' variation in lenses? Or should I be sending this thing back while it's still in warranty?

Thanks folks.

Pics:

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've never noticed. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.

I wonder if it's one of those "normal" things that once you see you can't unsee, that then distracts you?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I wonder if it's one of those "normal" things that once you see you can't unsee, that then distracts you?

I'm suspecting this just may be the case.

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't show any signs of it. I tried all angles/lighting and could not duplicate it.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
Mine doesn't show any signs of it. I tried all angles/lighting and could not duplicate it.

Mine is most noticeable when there is light source behind you as well.

When the light source comes into/against the rear of the unit, it seems to be the rear lens and emitter reflecting back.

I just found it odd that the lenses would be positioned in such a way to allow this to happen, and it seems to be somewhat "common" in the PRO.

Seems odd for a $400 optic, but yeah... Confused

Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
I don't have the Aimpoint Pro, but am giving serious thought to purchasing one.

If that were my optic, I would definitely be contacting Aimpoint for a mighty good explanation or replacement.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post