SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who does everyone like for scope caps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who does everyone like for scope caps? Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
Butler creek? or is there a better option out there? Or do you leave tem off altogether?

Its for a vortex pst 6-24 if it matters!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If they have one that fits, and I would obviously believe they do for their own scope: Vortex!

They are by far the best I’ve found and to the extent possible I use them on all my sights (Leupolds, mostly).

They are far more rugged than Butler Creek, they stretch some to fit a range of sizes, and for anyone who wants to reduce his “visual signature” (or just doesn’t want it hanging out where it gets snagged), the caps fold flat against the scope surface without breaking off like BC caps do.

Vortex scope caps are one of the best shooting accessories I have discovered over the past several years.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool..I will consider those. I have had a butler creek come off when shooting another rifle so I wasnt thrilled about those!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to get the lever for the magnification too but 60 bucks seems a bit steep!!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Switchview makes many different throw levers. Some are $60+, but I believe they have less expensive polymer versions as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Not scope caps but, I find the scope covers to serve my needs better. I have the Alaskan scope guards for all my optics. Neoprene that covers the entire scope. Just flip it off. Think they are like $18 and free shipping.

Link

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Vortex scopes that don't come with factory scope caps, the Vortex sells their Defender caps. The good news about the Defender caps:
- They are reasonably priced.
- The cap snaps down well.
- The spring on the hinge is good and the cap folds fairly flat against the scope's body.

The downside of Defender caps:
- Vortex tries to make a single cap work on an objective diameter range of about 4mm.
- The caps tend to fit fairly well on the larger sized tubes listed within the cap range, but not so much with the smaller diameter tubes.
- The rubber sleeve on the cap assembly tends to wobble around on the objective when the cap is opened. Some cap assemblies even come off the scope with less force than it takes to open the snap of the cover. This has occurred a few times to me. I saw it occur twice to a shooter in our squad this weekend. After the second time he pulled the entire scope cap off his scope, he removed the scope caps all together.
- Defender eye piece caps are quite large in diameter, and this affects your view through the scope. They noticeably increase the black donut around what we see in the scope.

Bottom line -- I think Vortex Defender caps are OK for the objective end of the scope, but I'm not at all thrilled about them on the ocular (eye piece) end of a scope. Although expensive, Tenebraex scope covers are just about as good as they get.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Tenebrex are the best I've used.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Swarovski scope and choked when I saw they wanted about $100 for scope caps.
For about $3000 you would think it would come with caps.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tenebrex are the best. I've torn up/off lots of Butler Creek. Don't waste your $ on Butler.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I bought a Swarovski scope and choked when I saw they wanted about $100 for scope caps.
Better yet, cheap out and buy $10 caps for your $3K scope. Big Grin

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
http://shop.aadmount.com/Flip-Up-Caps_c7.htm

Thanks for that suggestion. I had never heard of the company, but there is a good discussion on Sniper Hide. Not inexpensive and be prepared for a wait, but good reviews.

As for the Vortex covers, it’s true the rubbery part that stretches over the lens can allow it to be removed more easily than hard plastic, so I secure them with electrical tape. I’m also guessing that the type of shooting one does is a factor. If it’s in competition and every second counts, getting into position and opening the cap as fast as possible is probably important. For the type of things I do I can usually take a little more time to ensure the caps don’t get pulled off, so although I’ve noticed a tendency for them to move, it’s not an issue for me.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Razz
I see that kind of thinking all the time and have never understood it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I just saw a video about a Tenebraex scope cap and the one reviewed did not fold back flat against the scope body, but rather remained sticking up like Butler Creek caps.
Are they all like that?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I just saw a video about a Tenebraex scope cap and the one reviewed did not fold back flat against the scope body, but rather remained sticking up like Butler Creek caps.
Are they all like that?

it looks like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUSkafv7wJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvl09jmlDI

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks.
The Tenebraex folds back most of the way and significantly farther than Butler Creek, but not absolutely flat like the Aadland, Vortex, or Leupold Alumina.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Aadland Scope caps are IMO the best and most durable out there. I have them on all my high end optics, although on 1-6/1-8x I usually only get the front cap, but for higher mag I get both (they offer that option on the website).

Don't let the "out of stock / backorder" fool you, I have done that with all my orders from them and get things in 1-3 weeks without fail.

And they have a bombproof warranty and if you don't like them, send em back (I sent back a rear 1-6x Vortex when I decided not to use it). Zero issues.

That photo was before my Aadland NX8 cap came in but you can see them on the NF 2.5-10x24.

I have a handful of random Butler Creek laying around from other optics as starter caps until I get what I want.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
quote:

Razz
I see that kind of thinking all the time and have never understood it
Just like an Uncle Mikes for a $1K 1911. Wink

posted Hide Post
Tenebraex

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post