SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Entry-level" AR: Ruger AR-556 or S&W M&P15 Sport II Update: purchase made
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Entry-level" AR: Ruger AR-556 or S&W M&P15 Sport II Update: purchase made Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Would the non-standard delta ring prevent a different handguard from being used? I have seen the Ruger with different styles of handguards. There was one with Magpul "furniture" for about $30 more.

I wonder why the Mini-14 costs so much more. I had one in the early 2000s. 100% reliable with brass-cased .223 and factory magazines, but between the federal AWB in effect then, the California magazine ban that came online in 2000, and old man Ruger still being in charge, five-rounders were the only ones you could get. An aftermarket 10-round I tried was complete crap, not even feeding the first round - the bolt overrode the base of the cartridge. New Mini-14s remove all those objections and are also set up for 5.56.

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Nope...the specs are the same on the delta rings, except that the Ruger is threaded...I replaced the standard Ruger hand-guard with the Magpul...
Same with the buttstock...the Ruger buffer tube is mil-spec diameter (as well as the S&W)...just slide the factory off and slide the Magpul (or other) on in its place if you choose to...

About the only thing you will run across on hand-guards will be the length...The Ruger and Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport, Colt 6920, among others, will be carbine length gas systems. There is also a "mid length" and "rifle length" gas system...each one takes a different length hand-guard.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Sport II and it's been flawless.
Can't speak to the Ruger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30$ for magpul furniture is a good deal for the grip stock and hanguard

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Planning to make a purchase this weekend. I believe they only come with one magazine. Obviously this isn't enough. What are good brands?

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat magpul

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
These are also excellent GI aluminum magazines, either 30 round or the 20 round (I do like the shorter 20 round mags for shooting of a bench)...

http://www.44mag.com/product/o...d/223_ar15_magazines

The Lancer translucent magazine are also great magazines even though they are a little spendy...being able to see your ammo and the steel feed lips are a plus (sometimes Brownell's will run them on sale)...

https://www.brownells.com/maga...30-rd-prod95203.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I bought the Ruger today. Also (for now) a second magazine and (also for now) 200 rounds of 5.56 55-gr. FMJ. I'll take it out to the range tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Hard to beat magpul

Interestingly, the one that came with it is a MagPul (30-round). So I got another one just like it.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll take it out to the range tomorrow.

Range report?
Also, how much do you have invested in the entire package?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24049 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It took a great deal of cranking down the front sight to get it zeroed, but other than that, ~350 rounds now with no failures to feed, fire or eject. Smile There was a single failure of the bolt to lock back after the last round, which did not repeat itself. I got three more MagPul mags and a carrying case from Midway.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Late to party as always.

Yours shoots, that's always a good thing. The vast majority of AR-556s work just fine, but we did have a period of time just before Christmas of last year that we had to send in for customers about a half dozen of those back to Ruger for various issues. We not had to do that with a single Sport 2...yet.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Late to party as always.

Yours shoots, that's always a good thing. The vast majority of AR-556s work just fine, but we did have a period of time just before Christmas of last year that we had to send in for customers about a half dozen of those back to Ruger for various issues. We not had to do that with a single Sport 2...yet.

see my post one the first page,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post