SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Henry Big Boy rifle experience
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry Big Boy rifle experience Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
I'm wanting one in .327 Fed. What are your experiences with this rifle, not the cartridge?

It's going to be a plinker and varmint control as well as stablemate to my Ruger SP-101.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have one that I won in a raffle in 44 mag. I don't shoot it much anymore. It's tube fed which some traditionalist don't like. It's drilled and tapped for a scope. I'd say the quality matches the price tag. I was able to make consistent shots on a 12" plate at 100 yards when I shot it more often. I haven't had any issues with it.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have one in 44 and 2 in 45-70, soon a 357 mag. Ive never had any issue with mine. A buddy bought a used Big Boy 44 at a gun show and had trouble cycling when he got it to the range. He called up Henry and they sent him a prepaid label and returned the gun 2 weeks later all fixed up. Didnt matter that he wasnt the original owner.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
"Quality matches the price tag", that's what I was most curious about. Years ago I developed the opinion they were a "gimmick" with the engraved brass receiver to fit every banquet.

Lately I've talked myself away from that opinion, primarily due to .41 mag and .327 Fed offerings. I want both but am currently infatuated with my .327 Fed.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in .45 Colt. Fit and finish is high quality. It is going on 10ish years old and I have not had one single problem with it. Always loads one into the chamber no matter how slow or fast the lever is run. Always goes BANG when asked. The brass still polishes up to a glorious shine, even after being neglected. It's, ahem, heft, soaks up .45 Colt cowboy loads, although it kicks like an alpaca with Ruger Only level loads. I trust it as my bedside rifle.

Does the quality match the price tag? I would say yes.
With practice, it loads as fast as a Winchester. (All 10 at once anyway).
I'd guess that the .327 Fed Mag will shoot like a dream out of a Big Boy.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own a big boy but I have shot one many times. To me, the only downside is the weight. Everything else is top notch. I ended up getting a Rossi because of the price difference, stainless option, and loading gate but I still have my eye on a big boy at some point.

Posts: 15 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one in 44 Mag for about two years. Hated it and sold it at a loss just to get rid of it. Way too heavy, too ungainly, too not-very-handy. Big, bulky, heavy, and it had that stupid tube-feed thing that was absurd.

If you want a 44 Mag, get yourself a Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 Mag. If you want a 357 Magnum, get a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357 Magnum. I've got both and they are nice rifles, very handy, light, maneuverable, and they load properly via the loading gate in the receiver, not through some retarded tube loading gizmo.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
To each their own.

I own both the Winchester and the Henry. I'm keeping the Winchester for it's "value". I shoot the Henry's for their quality, feel, accuracy and fun. The Henry action, at least on mine, is way smoother than the Winchester.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post