SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Focus on Your Target" --- Kim Rhode
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Focus on Your Target" --- Kim Rhode Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Focus on Your Target; Improve Your Scores

by Kim Rhode - Wednesday, July 17, 2019

"As you sit and read this article look at a wall in the room. Really look at all the details; there may be a light switch, pictures, windows with curtains. Look at the wall and how everything on the wall is clear. Now pick a small spot on the wall: a picture, a light switch-something small-and make it as clear as you can make it.

Focus your eyes on the small object or spot. Now look away. When you look back at the wall you will automatically look back at the small spot that you picked to focus on. (emphasis mine)

Every time you look at the wall you will see that small spot. Use this same technique to focus on the target.

Pick a point on the front of the target or the bright orange dome that the sun is hitting and make it crystal clear. "

https://www.nrafamily.org/arti...=1&utm_medium=banner

That little exercise seems to work. I want to try it, next trap shoot day. I usually tried to locate and look at the bird. Locating the bird and looking at a small spot on its front seems challenging but maybe it'll pay off.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kim is an amazing shooter. A true once-in-a-generation competitor. Her ability to dominate in both trap and skeet speaks volumes.

Kim's technique is flawless and without gimmicks. When she comments on how to shoot, it's time to pause and take note.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've heard or read that advice from more than one really good clay shooter.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well getting older that's about the only thing i CAN focus on.

Big Grin

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I took a lesson in shotgun shooting from a guy local to my Dad who was a competition shooter, though not on Ms. Rhode’s level for sure. He talked repeatedly about bring the clay into what he called a “hard focus”, bringing the clay into a pure focus before shooting. I am not a great shooter, but the advice immediately brought up my scores.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
With regard to shooting clays etc., how does one do that while leading the target?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
With regard to shooting clays etc., how does one do that while leading the target?

I started shooting Clays a bit more than a year ago and am finally getting to they point where I simply look at the target and hit it. The trick for shooting a Crossing Target that requires some lead is to look in front of the Clay by the amount of lead required. Obviously when shooting something like 5 Stand you have to figure out how much lead is required for each target thrown but that is what makes 5 stand so challenging and interesting. BTW, I am not at all good at 5 stand, a 16 is my best score at this point but is a heck of a lot of fun when you do guess right and center punch a clay into dust.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post