SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Non NFA SBR - Franklin Armory Reformation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non NFA SBR - Franklin Armory Reformation Login/Join 
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Not speculation anymore. It's official. Straight lands and groves with no spin.

Yep. Recoil was the first to get the scoop.

http://www.recoilweb.com/frank...revealed-133042.html

quote:
The innovators at Franklin Armory took a unique approach to solve the problem of a “shortish” rifle that would require no tax stamp in certain areas or to give shooters who cross state lines an easy option to take their rifles with them by adapting straight-cut lands and grooves.

That means that the barrel imparts no spin on the projectile. According to ATF’s tech branch, this means that the Reformation is “not a rifle”. The concept has been around since match lock guns and early shotguns; however they were pushed aside as gun makers continued to innovate and spiraled rifling improved along with bullet construction.

Those of us who are rifle shooters know that the system of lands and grooves within a rifle’s barrel make our projectiles faster and more accurate. Longer or heavier bullets crave a faster twist rate for stabilization in flight.

Franklin’s Reformation does not offer this.

Neither does your handgun for the most part and with the Reformation we aren’t exactly talking thousand yard shots or even 500 yard shots. This was intended for CQB range. Maybe out to 100 yards. With 5.56mm NATO ammunition, we were able to achieve 3 to 4 MOA.

However, 5.56 will not be what the company is focusing on with the initial launch of this firearm. The initial intent will be 300 Blackout. The 5.56 guns were built to take advantage of the cheaper ammunition options in order to make the experience of the Reformation to shooters at Media/Industry Day at the Range.

When Franklin starts shipping the Reformation it will be in 300 Blackout

Franklin Armory is also apparently working on a proprietary projectile design that will allow greater accuracy with these non-rifled barrels:

I had one of those from Nerf as a teenager.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Me too. I wonder if these new bullets will whistle in flight like those did?

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that some states don't allow SBRs and some people (me included) refuse to jump through legal hoops and pay the feds a tax for the privilege of owning an SBR. I also love the middle finger aimed at the ATF on this.

It's so stupid though. Roll Eyes

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Me too. I wonder if these new bullets will whistle in flight like those did?

See, that's where I went wrong. I had the first generation without the stabilizing fin. No wonder I couldn't throw a spiral for shit! I mean, the ball itself was rifled, but it did like to tumble. All true, btw.

Ok, maybe exaggerating about not being able to throw a spiral. That came later. Big Grin

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I would do a pistol caliber in this type of setup, would have no reason to shoot past 50 yards anyway and normally having such a slow twist to begin with it might not be such a dramatic difference without rifling at all.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So their gonna offer 300 blackout ammo with that funky shaped bullet? Big question is this new ammo gonna be more expensive? or will it use regular 300 blackout ammo as well?

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
When PSA starts cranking these out for $700 every mall ninja in America will own one

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

Wait WTF is that?

Nerf Bazooka?! Would have killed for one of those when I was a whipper snapper.

Hell that's like a million times cooler then the "reformation". What kind of wank comes up with a name like that anyway. I bet these guys huff their own farts.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Hell that's like a million times cooler then the "reformation". What kind of wank comes up with a name like that anyway.

Well, you see Norm, it's like this...

Martin Luther started the Reformation in 1517 in Wittenberg, Saxony, which was the same year that nearby Saxon gunsmith Albus Hansen Stier-Schidt introduced the concept of cutting straight lands and grooves in a musket barrel.

(I know that's true... I read it on Facebook.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
Watch this !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LPKAm0bNsw

That’s fantastic.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
Watch this !!!!

Definitely one of the better Hitler reacts memes.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post