SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help making bipod feet non skid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help making bipod feet non skid Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
Gentlemen, I am looking for suggestions on how to make the feet on my rifle bipod non skid. Durability is a must. Right now, the feet are smooth and slippery. I would like to have them dig in a bit vs sliding on the shooting bench or any other surface. I don't want to have them having a spike.

I was thinking of finding some type of rubber material and use some sort of adhesive for the project. I am having a hard time finding any rubber material.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nonskid stair tape?

If you don’t want something as aggressive and abrasive as that, there are various types of thin rubbery shelf and drawer liner that would increase friction. I have found the various Shoe Goo adhesives to be useful for attaching that material to surfaces, even fabric.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, I use that for some of my pistol grips. It does not hold up very well.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Nonskid stair tape?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few dips in PlastiDip from Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, I will give it a look.

I just found this. It may work, but it is spendy. I only need a couple of square inches.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ru...06-W100-15/301919677

quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
A few dips in PlastiDip from Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart?

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Dog boots, slip them on and Velcro around the bipod leg.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-a...zmrSRJxoCaYAQAvD_BwE

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is getting and keeping anything to stick on the bottom.
I like the Plasti- Dip idea (a few coats).

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
$33.00! Yikes!

I think that they would have too big a footprint. Pun intended.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I agree. I think Mark nailed it. I just watched a few youtube videos on the plastidip. I am intrigued.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I think the problem is getting and keeping anything to stick on the bottom.
I like the Plasti- Dip idea (a few coats).

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
$33.00! Yikes!

quote:

Posted more for the concept, I am sure there are many options for size, color and price in the category. Would be a simple non permanent solution. Plus they come is sets of 4 so you could split the cost with a buddy Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Jim, I like the material of the boots. I would like to find it in a small quantity.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
$33.00! Yikes!

quote:

Posted more for the concept, I am sure there are many options for size, color and price in the category. Would be a simple non permanent solution. Plus they come is sets of 4 so you could split the cost with a buddy Razz

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Mike will these Accuracy International rubber bipod feet fit? I have them on my Gibbs M8500 (Parker Hale) bipod.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Kind of similar to the Plasti-Dip idea, you can buy two-part silicone rubber or urethane rubber mixes.

You could make little molds (could probably be as simple as small plastic cups or a folded up piece of aluminum foil that you coat with vaseline), stick the bipod feet in the molds, and then pour the mixes silicone/urethane rubber in. Wait a bit and your bipod feet will be encased in a block of rubber.

I haven't done it personally, but I've seen it done and it's pretty easy. Smooth-On has a good reputation for their silicone and urethane rubber products.

Urethane would probably be more durable.

If you didn't want to go all the way to casting your bipod feet in blocks of rubber, Smooth-On also makes brush-on urethane resin products intended for coating stuff.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Bald, I am not sure. I would have to see them. I wish mine were rubber from the get go.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Mike will these Accuracy International rubber bipod feet fit? I have them on my Gibbs M8500 (Parker Hale) bipod.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea!

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Kind of similar to the Plasti-Dip idea, you can buy two-part silicone rubber or urethane rubber mixes.

You could make little molds (could probably be as simple as small plastic cups or a folded up piece of aluminum foil that you coat with vaseline), stick the bipod feet in the molds, and then pour the mixes silicone/urethane rubber in. Wait a bit and your bipod feet will be encased in a block of rubber.

I haven't done it personally, but I've seen it done and it's pretty easy. Smooth-On has a good reputation for their silicone and urethane rubber products.

Urethane would probably be more durable.

If you didn't want to go all the way to casting your bipod feet in blocks of rubber, Smooth-On also makes brush-on urethane resin products intended for coating stuff.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for all of the great ideas. I am going to try the plastidip route first. If it turns out that it is not durable, I will move on.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I happened upon a local hardware store today. Lo and behold what I found.

https://www.grainger.com/produ...ECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

Exactly what the doctor ordered! I just need to find the best rubber cement.

Thanks for your help guys.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest skateboard tape maybe?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
We thought about that. I don’t think it would be durable enough.

quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I was going to suggest skateboard tape maybe?
Cool

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'd say bike tire inner tube if you hadn't already gotten a solution.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post