SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help making bipod feet non skid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help making bipod feet non skid Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bicycle tube would not be my first choice of rubber for this project as its thin and pliable I think you want something stiffer. But the OP says he's having a hard time finding rubber? Amazon is filled with options of different weights/thicknesses so you could source some low cost starters there. In addition if you experimented a little and had a good handle on the nature of the material needed and thickness there are a ton of good sources for rubber online or in the local area both directly as rubber sheet or as products that are made of rubber that you could cannibalize (like mats).
Me personally I'd get a small sheet of 1/8" material, bond it with adhesive, punch a couple of rivets through the whole mess and see how it goes.
Another option would be non skid paint. Mix up a pretty thick batch and I think that would work well and last as well.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
hrcjon, I found a 6" X 6" 3/32" thick rubber gasket kit at a local hardware store for less than $4.00. If it appears to be too thin, I can double it up. Now I need to find the perfect adhesive to bond the rubber or cork to the metal.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Bicycle tube would not be my first choice of rubber for this project as its thin and pliable I think you want something stiffer. But the OP says he's having a hard time finding rubber? Amazon is filled with options of different weights/thicknesses so you could source some low cost starters there. In addition if you experimented a little and had a good handle on the nature of the material needed and thickness there are a ton of good sources for rubber online or in the local area both directly as rubber sheet or as products that are made of rubber that you could cannibalize (like mats).
Me personally I'd get a small sheet of 1/8" material, bond it with adhesive, punch a couple of rivets through the whole mess and see how it goes.
Another option would be non skid paint. Mix up a pretty thick batch and I think that would work well and last as well.
FWIW>

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Use epoxy, many adhesives don't bond all that well to metal.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post