SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger New Frontier Scout Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger New Frontier Scout Rifle Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I've been considering getting a hunting rifle for my daughter and I stumbled across an interesting possibility today. It is a Ruger New Frontier Scout Rifle in 7mm-08, stainless with a gray/black laminated stock unfired in the box.

It seems to check all the boxes on the shopping list. 7mm-08 is the cartridge I've been looking at as a good, general able to hunt anything anywhere cartridge. Flat enough for antelope and heavy enough for elk. The rifle itself offers a short length of pull for her, is compact overall, but still has enough heft to help wth recoil. Thee are the traditional Ruger ring mounts on the receiver as well as a forward mounting option on the barrel quarter rib.

It's also a high quality firearm without plastic that's going to last. I've got rifles and shotguns that have been handed down to me from great grandfathers, grandfathers and my father. To me, getting my daughter her first hunting rifle that will be something she uses for years to come is a big deal.

The only downside I'm seeing to it is the darkened stainless finish. Stainless or matte blued won't match for scopes or rings. I'm also a little worried about the durability of the finish.

So consulting the all knowing oracle of knowledge that is SiForum. Is there anything I'm missing on this?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rugers come with rings. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

Not necessarily, since he's buying used. Just because it's unfired doesn't mean it has all the original accessories... Especially since it's a decade-ish old, considering the Frontier Scout rifle was introduced in 2005 and then discontinued in 2009. (It was the immediate predecessor to Rugers "real" Scout Rifle, introduced in late 2010.)

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

Not necessarily, since he's buying used. Just because it's unfired doesn't mean it has all the original accessories... Especially since it's a decade-ish old, considering the Frontier Scout rifle was introduced in 2005 and then discontinued in 2009. (It was the immediate predecessor to Rugers "real" Scout Rifle, introduced in late 2010.)

Good Point, The New Frontier Scout might not be "New" but sometimes people forget to check the box too. If Nothing else a quick bead blast would convert both the rings and barreled action to a matched brushed stainless or a ceracoat could convert both to whatever matching color combination you desired. Best yet would be to find the original rings! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post