SIGforum
Using the “Throwaway” Half of 550 Handguards on a P556

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9100033074

May 18, 2020, 07:42 PM
Accomplice
Using the “Throwaway” Half of 550 Handguards on a P556
After I cut down my 550 hand guards today to use them on my 556 pistol I realized that the discard front half of the 550 hand guards looked like they might also be the right length. So I took the gas block off, removed the retainer ring and low and behold the discard hand guards were the exact length they needed to be to bolt right back on perfectly with zero filing or adjustments (I had to take 3-4 mm off of the other half of the 550 HG after the cut).

These are on very solidly, have zero movement and could only be removed after the gas block was taken off.

Pics:

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947
May 18, 2020, 09:05 PM
kimberkid
That looks gooood!

I've only cut down 551 handguards so I'd have never seen that.

Congrats on inventing a new look Wink

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
May 19, 2020, 04:22 AM
Accomplice
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
That looks gooood!

I've only cut down 551 handguards so I'd have never seen that.

Congrats on inventing a new look Wink

Thanks. I can’t help but play “trailer park tony stark”. I cut down slim 550 hand guards and ran them with a ring on a 16” 556 classic years ago, once shaved fishgill hand guards, modded all three styles of HK G36 hand guards to run on PWS piston ARs, modded a Vltor CASV to run on a 556 patrol, modded alien Armor to run on a Galil Ace 308, and put low profile rails on my BRN-180S to run hydro-dipped wood grain alien armor extended rail covers. It’s a chronic problem for sure.

Update: I got some trigger time in with this set up and these skinny hand guards transmit a lot of heat. It was fine for a couple of mags of range time but a carbine class would probably require gloves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Accomplice,

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947