SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage MSR Recon vs Springfield Saint Free Float vs ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage MSR Recon vs Springfield Saint Free Float vs ??? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
Recently found out about these M4geries. Like the free float hand guards. Like the mid-length gas systems. Like the Melonited barrels (vs chrome lined.) Like that these are know manufacturers. Like the <$1000 street price.

There is some cheaping out. I know the Savage has a 4140 barrel. This might be a quibble, but I'd prefer 4150, and even better 4150 CHF. But this may be getting into luxury territory.

So what else would people recommend in this class? I see the Colt Combat Unit. But that's $300-ish higher.

And if you have any experience with one, the other, or both, what do you think?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd look at Windham too. Chrome lined 4150.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Nothing anywhere near equivalent for less than $1500, at least on their website.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
^
Nothing anywhere near equivalent for less than $1500, at least on their website.

ID say with a 1k budget these wouldnt even make my top 10. They are well known companies, but not for making AR's. THats not to say they cant, but you can get it a Colt 6920 for 800.00 and free flaot it for under 1k. I think BCM has a model that is right around 1k free floated.

Id rather have a company who puts out a solid chrome lined barrel thatna coompany who puts out a shitty melonite. While you may hve prefernces for a certain finsih or metal, id take the company who has been doing it more or less forever.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^

https://grabagun.com/windham-w...16-mid-flat-top.html

Street prices are way lower than MSRP.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Ruger AR-556 MPR
https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...ducts2.cfm/ID/199005

Sig M400 Elite
https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...ducts2.cfm/ID/196634

Colt 6920 OEM2
https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...ducts2.cfm/ID/121650
*Add a handguard, stock & trigger guard.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Savage in particular tested out very accurate. So I doubt they did a bad job on the barrel. And I wonder if the meloniting makes up for the lower carbon steel.

quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
^

ID say with a 1k budget these wouldnt even make my top 10. They are well known companies, but not for making AR's. THats not to say they cant, but you can get it a Colt 6920 for 800.00 and free flaot it for under 1k. I think BCM has a model that is right around 1k free floated.

Id rather have a company who puts out a solid chrome lined barrel thatna coompany who puts out a shitty melonite. While you may hve prefernces for a certain finsih or metal, id take the company who has been doing it more or less forever.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
First, it depends what you are going to do with it.

If you want to shoot uber accurate groups from the bench, by all means pick a non-traditional AR builder that tested well somewhere.

Otherwise I'd stick with BCM, Colt, S&W, LMT, etc for your first AR. Reason being they will hold their value over a home build PSAsomethingOrOther and the other non-mainstream factory builders (Savage, Ruger, Springer, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Colt 6920 in particular, it's a good rifle, but time and technology have moved on. Colt somewhat acknowledged this by releasing the Combat Unit Carbine. That has most of what I want, but at a $300 premium to the 6920, and a $3-400 premium to the other rifles I mentioned.

Would either Colt hold it's value better than the Savage or Springer? Yeah, likely somewhat. Would I be buying it to sell it? No. But it is something of a point.

It would be just a general use carbine. But I got in my head the features that I want. Those two come very close, if not being perfect. The same could be said about the CCU. Are any one of the three going to work better than the other? There was one negative report on here about the Springer. I haven't heard anything bad about the Savage. I'm just admittedly nitpicking.