Notify
Tools

Null Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
WARPIG,

How do you like that aftermarket stock as compared to the standard stock?

Not Warpig, but I owned the KDG stock.

It looks slick as hell, however it wasn't any more comfortable than the OEM stock AND since it had a metal hinge plate (as opposed to the polymer OEM), there is more energy transmitted to the back plate which attaches via 4 screws (2 on either side).

Both of those screw started to bend as the backplate was pushed out of the upper. I removed and reinstalled the screws only to have it happen again within 5 rounds. I think the metal hinge plate is a fatal flaw of the stock and why I got rid of it. Other manufacturers have stopped making / selling metal stock hinges, so I guess that tells you something...

FN make the hinge plate polymer for a reason.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the heads up, Rhino.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have 100 or so rounds through mine and havent had any issues yet. I'll keep my eyes on it.

As tot he stock, its not much different than the factory other than looking better and being a hair lighter, the main reason I got it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
WARPIG,

Did you switch to longer screws or apply new thread-locker?

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll add that how the KDG stock setup works (or doesn't) could be highly dependent on your personal setup.

Mine is a SCAR 17 SBRed with the OEM 16.5" barrel cut to 13" by Marvin Pitts with the gas control screw tuned to run with a AAC 762-SDN6 with factory brass cased M80 spec and MK319 SOST ammunition. It's possible that the recoil on my setup is more severe that on others but after the second time, I had to drill out one of the 4 screws to remove and replace the backplate (thankfully I had one on hand). Now it could have just been the marginal FN OEM screw heads stripping, but at that point I was done with the KDG stock.

But like Warpig, there are people who have zero issues with them on a 17. The issue is very noticeable and while KDG will tell you 'it doesn't affect function', just remember that over time those screws are pulling on the rear of your receiver (which is the 'firearm'). And over time KDG changed their tune from "it never happens to us" to "it's a problem with FN threadlocker" to "it doesn't affect anything' to just silence.

They hit it out of the part with the MREX SCAR rail but I think the stock is a big swing and a miss.

With a SBR'ed upper, not something I wanted to do simply for aesthetics.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
WARPIG,

Did you switch to longer screws or apply new thread-locker?

I didnt. It may be that I simply need to put more rounds through it before I see anything. Id probably get rid of it if the same thing started happening on mine. Mine originally came with a PRS stock on it. For what I wanted to do with the rifle, it just made it too big/heavy. This was the only stock that really caught my eye. I ended up going with a lot of KDG parts in an attempt to make the rifle lighter/more usable.

Here is how it looked when I got it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Rhino and Warpig, thank you for the information and discussion.

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
Anytime!

I shoot my 17 pretty often, probably every 3rd month - but back in ‘13-15 when 5.56 ammo was CRAZY high, I just shot 762x51 instead - figured why not, since it was as much or sometimes cheaper to do it. So I was shooting it tons then and my ARs didn’t see the light of day for a year plus.

Mine is right around 3K through it, at least 2K suppressed and the only issue I ever had was a broken feed lip on a magazine - FN replaced it under warranty (they had a bad batch of heat treated magazines).

I’ve shot it 700+ rounds over 9 months with maybe 2 squirts of Remmy Oil on the bolt and zero cleaning - never gave me any issues other than the gas selector was so caked in carbon it wouldn’t turn unless I used a wrench on it.

I have had a NF 2.5-10x24 on mine for awhile but I took it off and put an Aimpoint M4S on - will run it up close & unsuppressed this fall just for fun and put the NF on a AR.

It’s not a perfect rifle but which ones are? It does lightweight and easy to suppress & SBR very well for a 308. Plus its FN and if they know one thing, it’s how to make rifles.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
^^^^
UGH!!!! Really ?

Could you please post some pics ?

This stock is still on my "to get list" This would also change my want for this addition.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
WARPIG,

How do you like that aftermarket stock as compared to the standard stock?

Not Warpig, but I owned the KDG stock.

It looks slick as hell, however it wasn't any more comfortable than the OEM stock AND since it had a metal hinge plate (as opposed to the polymer OEM), there is more energy transmitted to the back plate which attaches via 4 screws (2 on either side).

Both of those screw started to bend as the backplate was pushed out of the upper. I removed and reinstalled the screws only to have it happen again within 5 rounds. I think the metal hinge plate is a fatal flaw of the stock and why I got rid of it. Other manufacturers have stopped making / selling metal stock hinges, so I guess that tells you something...

FN make the hinge plate polymer for a reason.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My KDG stock just showed up today. I had no idea you couldn’t fold this stock fully when installed. That’s basically a deal killer for me.

? Mine does.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
He likely means you cannot fold it and lock it in place.
The KDG stock has no latch to hold it folded... it just kinda swings there.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, I had a TR24 on my SCAR 16 for the first year.

I think you'll find the bipod uncomfortable, I also had a Harris and it would knock into my hand after each shot - just takes up too much real estate on the short bottom rail.

But it looks like a great starting configuration, I'm sure you'll figure out some changes after you get some rounds through it.

posted Hide Post
This is me , here waiting to see the patio table Scar,
don't hurry on my account.

I'll just be here waiting,
you know the one that I mean.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's ok no hurry , I got time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
This is me , here waiting to see the patio table Scar,
don't hurry on my account.

I'll just be here waiting,
you know the one that I mean.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
it's ok no hurry , I got time

Google works really well for pictures -- type "SCAR 17" and you'll get lots of pictures. Salivate all over your keyboard to your heart's desire. Or there are other websites that provide other types of pictures, if your heart so desires.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post