July 01, 2018, 03:09 PM
dwd1985
Null
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,
July 01, 2018, 04:09 PM
creslin
that is a pretty amazing price!
I assume it was used? if so... how’s the wear?

This is where my signature goes.
July 01, 2018, 04:13 PM
Seotaji
Congratulations on your good fortune!
The plastic mags are made by thermold. Not great, but they'll work. Hopefully their QC process is better and there will be no need to trim the plastic.

Good enough for range use.
July 01, 2018, 05:01 PM
10X-Shooter
Yep, Thermold. I have a couple and they are range use only. Nice score.
July 01, 2018, 05:05 PM
RHINOWSO
Yes you did very well! Congrats!
July 01, 2018, 05:38 PM
94hokie
That is a great deal for that weapon, you did well!
July 01, 2018, 05:57 PM
JoshNC
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Apparently, the previous owner did not know what weapons maintenance was. IT had rust in many places, including the bolt. Also, I found a few oddities:
First, the lower reciever seems to have had an area where a metallic pin meets plastic milled out of it. You can see it here (near some rust):

Second, the bolt seems to have a small, angled chunk missing from it. Is that part of this weapons bolt design, or is this bolt broken?

The pin in the lower is a vestigial reminder of our stupid import regs. SCARs are imported with a proprietary 10-round mag. The pin protrudes into the mag well and prevents insertion of a full capacity mag. A thumbhole stock is also installed. Upon import, the thumbhole stock is removed, the mag pin/block is milled out, and the necessary US parts are installed for 922(r) compliance.

The scallop in the bolt is normal.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
July 01, 2018, 06:54 PM
RHINOWSO
As mentioned, both are normal.

Here is a pic of how SCAR destined for the civie market arrive from Belgium.

July 01, 2018, 07:35 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
That is an abomination
Lol, it's only for 922(r). They ship those 'stocks' back for the next batch.
July 01, 2018, 10:13 PM
Edmond
Holy crap I would say that's a steal there.

I have never fired or even handled a SCAR 17 but I'm thinking it's something I need to buy. Big Grin

July 02, 2018, 07:03 AM
RHINOWSO
Low $30s is the lowest I've seen them - normal price is $36-39 per mag (10 or 20rd, doesn't seem to matter).
July 02, 2018, 07:04 AM
ShneaSIG
quote:
How much do factory 20 round mags usually run? Optics Planet has them for $36, plus 10% off for July 4, and free shipping. Seems like a good deal.

That's in the ballpark for what other places will sell them. I just got a few a couple weeks ago from Midway for $36 each. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks more if it means not having to order from Optic Planet, given their reputation.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"
July 02, 2018, 07:34 AM
RHINOWSO
Best deal I ever saw from a company was MidWest Gun Works selling Belgian Made SCAR 17 20rd mags for $27 / each - these were military contract mags with no commercial packaging, they came bulk packaged. It was a one time deal and I haven't seen anything similar again.

Otherwise mid-$30s is what it is.
July 02, 2018, 07:37 AM
RHINOWSO
Oh and it's handy to have one or two 10rds mags around, for shooting off the bench / zeroing.
July 02, 2018, 09:15 AM
Brett B
quote:
How much do factory 20 round mags usually run? Optics Planet has them for $36, plus 10% off for July 4, and free shipping. Seems like a good deal.

I got all of mine from MGW for around $34-$36 each.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...-scar/magazines.html

MGW is a well vetted reliable company, I avoid Optics Planet like many others on here. MGW also carries a comprehensive list of factory SCAR replacement parts. They also have an email notification system for when items arrive back in stock.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/
July 02, 2018, 11:11 AM
patw
With the price of these things now, you got a great deal. Congrats.
July 02, 2018, 12:49 PM
HK Ag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
As mentioned, both are normal.

Here is a pic of how SCAR destined for the civie market arrive from Belgium.

That is an abomination

Agh my eyes!!!

look away!

HK Ag
July 02, 2018, 04:54 PM
smithnsig
Holy Mackerel. I didn’t think I would see something uglier that the moon boot folders. This is awful.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
July 03, 2018, 06:52 AM
WARPIG602
quote:

Get a Handl lower, after your buy 20 Pmags, the lower has paid for itself. I used all new parts int he Handl ower so I still have the complete factory lower as a backup.

July 03, 2018, 09:21 AM
ShneaSIG
WARPIG,

How do you like that aftermarket stock as compared to the standard stock?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"