SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Saw a 20 MM Oerlikon for Sale, Thinking of Buying it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw a 20 MM Oerlikon for Sale, Thinking of Buying it Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
Group Buy anyone?

I am kinda sorry I ran across this site. I've spent way too much time drooling over all the goodies they have up for auction today.

They've got a BAR, Tommy guns, and a whole bunch of other fun toys!

Unfortunately buying this would also come with a divorce...but may still be worth it.

https://www.rockislandauction....-20-mm-cannon#detail

Not sure if I'd be able to scavenge for any range brass though...

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
In the classifieds of American Rifleman circa 1960 you could buy a Boys anti-tank rifle for $57. Interesting stuff out there. The 40mm would be a real a WWII classic.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sweet.

Just saw a show called "weapons hunter" where a guy rebuilt one of those.

Please buy this!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes I need that. Definitely.

It would fit nicely in the bed of my F250. The local constabulary shouldn't mind too much. Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Amazing piece of old technology! Incredibly nostalgic. It needs to go to a buyer (no museums!) who will NOT neuter it.

Roberth is so right! This would be beautiful when bolted to the bed of a heavy duty Ford diesel truck, especially for border patrol operations.

This cannon is outright romantic!

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Sweet. Can you get ammo for it?

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Probably a wildcat... Razz

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:

I'm sure you could find some 20x110mmRB ammo, if you were resourceful and had deep enough pockets. But since the rounds are explosive, each round would have to be individually registered and NFA stamped as a Destructive Device.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I'm sure you could find some 20x110mmRB ammo, if you were resourceful and had deep enough pockets. But since the rounds are explosive, each round would have to be individually registered and NFA stamped as a Destructive Device.

Are they all explosive rounds? None with depleted uranium?
So once you had a few, I wonder if you could reload them ... even a solid brass projectile would put a big hole in something.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
There were solid point 20mm as well.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I love those guys from Forgotten Weapons! I can spend quite a bit of time watching their videos. The Oerlikon is such a simple gun it's amazing. The scene in Charlie Wilson's War when the weapons expert talks about them being what the Mujahadeen needs always sticks in my mind.

But as for stout recoil springs? This is a recoil spring Wink It takes 9K pounds of force to compress. Granted the operator does not have to cock it for the first shot. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Or you could make it REALLY powerful and convert it to 10mm.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My Pop-Pop taught naval gunnery during WWII and called the gun an "interrupted screw"..he referred tot he barrel changed and speed to which it could be accomplished.

Also, the first ship I was on in the CG was the USCGC Metompkim WPB-1325 and she had one of these guns on the bow.

We didn't use the navy type of charging the gun, we had a stirrup rigged to the bolt and you mule kicked the stirrup to charge the gun.

it also had an oiler to spray oil onto and into the floating chamber as the gun shot. The little can would get you thru about one magazine...I once figured out how to place a gallon of CLP onto the oiler and keep the gun running...

We had a system of replacing the magazine with flexible track that fed ammo from a ammo box hitched to the left side of the mount...we used the magazine in the video as a back-up in case of damage to the mount.

And when working on the gun, the gunner's mate was figured to lose about a pint of blood due to having to lockwire the damn thing back together after post-firing the gun....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
My grandpa manned one of these in WWII
He was also on a larger turret dual gun set, I think it was also 20mm? Maybe bigger

He said they alway made the WV and KY guys gunners, figured they already knew how to shoot!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

He said they alway made the WV and KY guys gunners, figured they already knew how to shoot!

LOL we had all our perspective gunners shoot some skeet off the flight deck...the guys who took to it naturally and hit the birds got to be the gunner and the not so good guys were the reloaders..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i know it was the movies, but in saving private Ryan when the Germans bore that 20mm wheeled cannon against our guys that was dramatic. What a weapon.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i know it was the movies, but in saving private Ryan when the Germans bore that 20mm wheeled cannon against our guys that was dramatic. What a weapon.

That was a 20mm Flak 38. It's 20mm caliber like the Oerlikon, but it's a different gun and a different round (20x138mmB).

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Unfortunately buying this would also come with a divorce...but may still be worth it.

Completely worth it! And my divorce was WAY more than that gun Mad

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post