SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300 Blackout bolt gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout bolt gun Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm looking for a bolt gun in 300 BO for informal plinking, maybe for teaching my noise-averse 5 year old to shoot. Possible short distance deer hunting.

My LGS has a couple with a lot of dust on them. I could probably work a deal. One is a Model 700. The other is a Model 7.

Anything to choose from between them?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 in .300blk with a SiCo Omega on it.

This thing is stupidly quiet - insanely quiet.
I had it at the range the other day.... the guy next to me thought I was dry firing.

The action is a little rough to work - but I imagine with time it'll smooth out some.

I'm able to consistently and accurately make steel plate hits out to 300 meters.
I'd be able to go further out than that.... but 400 meters falls off my reticle lol.

Obligatory pic:

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Once you price the remingtons look at the Ruger American Ranch Compact. My son shot mine with no problem and at under 6 pounds it would be a great bolt gun to carry in the field.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of the Ruger American.
The price is much better than the Remingtons.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the range limitations of subsonic 300 blackout, if you are looking to shoot those rounds, I would find one of the Rugers. Probably much cheaper than any deal you can get on a Remington.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I picked up one of the Rugers and like it a whole lot. I have a Saker 7.62 I put on it and it works great.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I'm looking for a bolt gun in 300 BO for informal plinking, maybe for teaching my noise-averse 5 year old to shoot. Possible short distance deer hunting.

The best solution for a noise-averse is a suppressed 22lr. But whether or not you have a suppressor, a 22lr is the best chamber for a young shooter. Understand that a full-sized rifle that fits an adult will be challenging for a 5 year old to shoulder, and to obtain a proper cheek weld.

300 blackout is noisy if is isn't suppressed. Even unsuppressed subsonic ammo is loud.

Short distance deer hunting is possible with quality supersonic ammo, but not with any subsonic ammo. Personally, I think a more powerful chambering is warranted for ethical deer hunting.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger American and had no issues with it. Was cheap enough to buy considering its a range toy for me.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Point of clarification: any shooting at deer would naturally be with supersonic ammo. Ethical kills are of primary concern when hunting.

Lots of good advice, here.

Thanks,

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

The best solution for a noise-averse is a suppressed 22lr. But whether or not you have a suppressor, a 22lr is the best chamber for a young shooter.

A .22 bolt action, eve 10/22 semi-auto is not an expensive project, relatively speaking, and would be a useful investment beyond just teaching a noise-averse 5 year old. He'll likely keep shooting it long after he's graduated to adult-hood.

.300 blackout doesn't have much recoil for adults, but for a five-year old, his perceptions might be different. Additionally, bolt actions have no mechanism for absorbing, dissipating, or redirecting the recoil energy, so it's all coming back at the shooter. .22lr might be a better choice on those grounds as well.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Damn you guys!
Now, I have to buy a .22 can and another .22 rifle!
You're going to have to explain it to my wife Wink

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
You already have a 22 rifle. It might be usable for a 5 year old.
With subsonic ammo it will not produce all that much noise.

Yes, a suppressor reduces subsonic 22lr ammo to amazingly little noise. But a can isn't necessary to shoot a 22 rifle.

What we've tried to do here is point out that what you already own may be the solution. What you do to justify additional spending to your wife is your own business.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, I don't get any argument about anything I want to buy. She digs suppressors more than I do.
Is there something more clear than " Wink " than I can use to indicate that I'm making a funny? I know my jokes suck but I don't want y'all to overlook them. (That was a joke).

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Get through Ruger and put the money you saved over the Remington on a 22 can.

I like my AAC Element 2, but their are others. A bolt action 22 and a semi automatic pistol like a Ruger MK 2 or Browning Buckmark is just the ticket to teach a young shooter and most importantly protect his hearing.

Oops sorry, I thought I was in the suppressor area, not rifles.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No opinion on bolt actions but I do shoot this cartridge in the CVA Scout ( break action single shot) with a youth stock....It's high on my list of fun and accurate !! Would be a good beginner's gun.

My gun likes supersonic ammo and 1 MOA is achievable !! Cost was $199 used.

make sure he's using hearing protection.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
at under 6 pounds it would be a great bolt gun to carry in the field.

Ruger American. Inexpensive, light, and easy to shoot. Can't fuss about that!

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
+1 for Ruger American, so much fun with a suppressor, I've tried multiple on mine and performance is phenomenal.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post