SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 1894 Range Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894 Range Report Login/Join 
posted
Hello guys. I posted about this gun I picked up last week for a nice price of $600. She was really dirty with real world use from the gentleman’s grandfather. He stated that the gun had less than 200 rds through it since his grandfathers initial purchase in 1980, but was carried a lot on hunts. That accounts for the used weathered look that I love. She is not a beauty queen, but is a hell of a shooter.

I was able to run close to 200 rds through her with 3 jams. All three were reloads that came with the gun. I believe I short stroked the lever and induced the jams myself as the lever was super tough to open and close at the beginning of the shooting session. By the time I was done, it was nice and slick. The lever opens and closes very smoothly now. Recoil was nothing and accuracy was outstanding at 25yds and great at 50 as well. The Federal 158gr SP were the accuracy winners. They were almost 1 hole groups at 25yds with the buckhorn sights.

Ammo used:

Federal 158gr SP (Most Accurate)
Aguilla 158gr SP (Very Accurate)
Winchested White Box 125gr (Still Accurate)
Reloads (Least Accurate)

I shot the below groups on top of each other to see changes in POI with loads. 5 shot groups @25yds.

Federal 158gr SP

Same target with Aguilla 158gr SP

Same target with 158gr reloads (not my loads)

Same target with WWB 158gr SP

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nice. That should make a dandy whitetail hunter.

As an aside, I would never shoot reloads that I didn’t load, didn’t come from a retailer, or come from I knew and trusted implicitly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Nice. That should make a dandy whitetail hunter.

As an aside, I would never shoot reloads that I didn’t load, didn’t come from a retailer, or come from I knew and trusted implicitly.

Thanks. I load my own ammo and do not usually shoot ammo from someone I do not know. I broke my own rule though.

After doing a little research, I’m pretty confident these are factory S&B 158gr .357 loads and not reloads. The red sealant on the bottom of the round gives it away. Anyway, they did not do as well as the other ammo.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great looking lever gun, with some good honest wear.

Damn, that is some really nice shooting.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If the bad guys ride into town ashoot'in. Takem down. If you run out of ammo and there is one left. Beat him with it Wink

At least that is how they do it in the movies. Big Grin

I assume you cleaned and lubed it before shooting.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
What a Beauty. I love that squared lever. Good shooting too!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My .44 mag used to be able to do that with the buck horn sight out to 100 yds, then my eyes got old.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I love mine is not that old but is a JM. I put a weaver receiver sight on it decades ago, recommend that, one can use different diameter peeps and I use the stock bead front sight. The 45 70 Marlin has a red dot on it. Love the lever guns just want to swap out the magazine tube follower with the metal ones I acquired.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Are you taking her pig hunting?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I love the older Marlins.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great-looking gun. I lubs me some older Marlins.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent group for buckhorns.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I LOVE A lever-thumper!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post