SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) remains at full rifle production"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) remains at full rifle production" Login/Join 
posted
LMT is in Eldridge, IA, just north of Davenport. Also in the IA/IL Quad Cities area are Rock River Arms (RRA) in IL, Les Baer (IA), and Springfield Armory (IL). RRA is also at full production, I do not know the status of the other two.

http://www.northscottpress.com...fle-production,74817

Lewis remains at full rifle production

Posted Wednesday, April 15, 2020 10:17 am
Mark Ridolfi, NSP Assistant Editor

Lewis Machine and Tool won defense department authorization to keep its Eldridge plant open, where its 145-member staff is working three shifts, six days a week, with a sanitary wipe down on Sundays.

LMT chief operating officer Jim Jessup said the company is focused on its $25 million rifle contract with Estonia, and is partnering with one of three firms competing for an even bigger contract to provide replacements for U.S. standard issue M4 and M249 rifles.

He said the spacious, two-year-old Eldridge plant offers safe production options that would not be possible if the company remained in its smaller, Milan, Ill., plant.

“Milan would have been a lot tougher to have social distancing in a building about 25 percent the size of this one,” he said. “We weren’t thinking about that when we moved, but sometimes it’s good to be lucky.”

Jestel said workstations remain far enough apart to avoid contact. Employees eat lunch and take breaks at tables spread throughout the facility, or in their cars in the parking lot.

“We’ve got a letter from the Department of Defense telling us we’re part of defense industrial base. So we’ll be open unless we hear differently from a state agency. I’d be surprised if the state would actually trump a defense department notification.”

Jessup said his company is “deep into our Estonia contract.”

The nation last year committed to the Lewis rifles. He said virus precautions have prevented Estonia representatives from visiting the plant to help expedite the order.

He also confirmed his company partnered with Textron to bid on a U.S. military contract for M4 and M249 rifles. Lewis would provide suppressors and other attachments to Textron rifles. This partnership is competing against new weapons designed by Sig Sauer and General Dynamics for a contract to be awarded in about a year.

“It’s still in initial phases. It’s down to us and Textron and two others. Each participant is getting a small contract to make prototypes. It could be a very big deal,” he said.

He said Lewis remains on the hunt for experience computer assisted manufacturing workers.

Jessup said all staff remains at work, save one. He worked from his Maquoketa home where he was under precautionary quarantine after returning from a business trip to Europe.

He said the virus cut the trip short, and left him struggling to get home, where he quarantined for two weeks.

“We have a few employees who have other health issues," he said. "We’ve asked, and they’ve asked if they would work remotely. But for the most part, all employees are coming as they need to. It’s hard to have machinists and others in a manufacturing environment work from home.”

https://lmtdefense.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Good to hear! I love my LMT rifle. I bought it during the obama panic. They have gotten rather pricey lately I see.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
If only they'd build enough enhanced bcgs that they had any to sell...or even fill their backorders. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am skeptical. But now that prices have risen, bingo. There supposedly available. I do not play those games. So I am out with them. I have a couple lowers from years ago. But won't buy again unless things change. And I am not holding my breath for them to make affordable products for us.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ LMT is pretty much ALWAYS running flat out! They've got significant ongoing military contracts, so they're products can be tough to come by in the commercial/retail market. Those that purchase LMT expect premium products, and pay premium prices! They're NOT in the 'affordable' rifle business. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I’m glad LMT moved factories and is thriving with .Mil contracts.

Like most in that game (Colt, FN, KAC), their availability ebbs and flows as they have contract deadlines to meet, so you can’t wait when you see their stuff.

LMT isn’t in the PSA tier of products, nor would I expect them to be.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
If only they'd build enough enhanced bcgs that they had any to sell...or even fill their backorders. Roll Eyes

EXACTLY! I've been waiting on one for a long time.

LMT has always put out a great product, and yes, the price has went up in the past year or so. I'm happy that they moved across the river to a free state and their business is going well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their receiver extensions are the best in the business IMO. Hard to find but I always buy them when I find them.

I have them on all my rifles unless they are VLTOR A5-setups, which I have on 2 ARs.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps I'm lucky, but I got one of LMT's "New Zealand Reference Rifles" last year before they took on the large Eastonia contract. Good on LMT. The Eastonians are getting a fine rifle, no doubt.
I absolutely love my Kiwi Rifle...

Wes

Posts: 2424 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
If I had around $5k to spend on a spiffy toy, then the straight-pull version of the LMT rifle as used by the British Army and Royal Marines as the designated marskman rifle would be top of my list. I already have a spare PMII and mounts to fit, need a bipod, though...

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LMT lovers, it seems that a new batch of LMT Carbine REs has been produced and is on the market (PA / Rifle Gear / etc). No bolts or BCGs however.