SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help with long range scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Help with long range scope Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
So I finally picked up my rifle, mounted to scope and bipod, and am shooting Saturday morning. Is there a resource somewhere that explains how to use a scope like this? Zero stop, where do I set it for my zero so I can adjust it for longer distances. The turrets pop up in two different positions, the owners manual wasn't very clear on all this. Do the rings need to be mounted a certain distance from each other on either side of the turrets?

I looked on youtube today and it's mainly discussions on reticle, how to shoot, etc. I need to know how this scope works and how to us it. Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3715 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This might help with setting the zero stop.

http://www.accuracy-tech.com/bushnell-zero-stop/

Basically you zero the rifle at your preferred distance (most use 100 yards), then you set the zero stop so the elevation dial stops at that spot.

There is a pretty good video on you tube from the National Shooting Sports Foundation on how to mount and set up the scope properly. You want to set it up for you.

Send me an email if you'd like, I'd be happy to help.


Like guns, Love Sigs
 
Posts: 802 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
Dude, you need to do something with that avatar.

It's fucking huge.


60x60. RTFM.




Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.
 
Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Dude, you need to do something with that avatar.

It's fucking huge.


60x60. RTFM.


It's never been huge for me, and you're the he first person that's commented on it in the 6 months I've had it. I'll look tomorrow when I'm at work.


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3715 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
it's this big:


_________________________________________________________

This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 659 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I must pass on the zero stop instructions, so review the above post by BadDogPSD.

There are differing preferences for setting zero. I set my "zero" at 100 yards. Or I should state, when I dial zero on the turret, my bullet impacts on the crosshairs at 100 yards. I set my "stop" at few clicks lower than zero, which means I can actually dial lower than zero. Not everyone agrees with this practice, but it works for me. Especially when I bounce between bare muzzle, brake, and suppressor -- each has a slightly different zero at 100 yards.

I don't know if your scope requires a specific ring location. Generally we don't want to put the rings very close to the turrets, or where the scope tube gets bigger for the front objective and the rear magnification ring. Optimal would have the rings centered in the scope mounting portion of the tube. You just don't want the compression pressure of the rings affecting turrets, magnification ring, or objective.

I recommend playing the with fore/aft position of the scope for awhile before fully tightening the rings. Get in your normal shooting position, which might be prone. Run the magnification high to low to high, then back again. See if your eye relief changes with magnification. Get up from the rifle, and try it again. Try the same from sitting, kneeling, standing positions. Maybe with a sling, if you have one. Maybe from a position where the gun's on a table and you're kneeling or sitting behind it. Basically you want to find the most "normal" scope position, so you don't have to futz around with head position and cheek weld when you look through the scope. If your eye easily comes to the center of the scope's eye box sweet spot, you will eliminate much of the parallax problems that affect most of us shooters.
 
Posts: 4948 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Thank you fritz and baddog for the replies. They make a lot more sense than the owners manual. Exx, even the way creslin posted it doesn't look that annoying.. and like I said, nobody has said anything until you did, in the 6-12 months I've had this one ... If I sign up for your forum at some point I'll be more cognizant of my avatar size... I guess? I'll fix it tomorrow. did I make too many "noob" threads recently for your liking? I apologize. I'm sure there was someone you annoyed when you were getting into this sport, sigforum is that guy I annoy for questions where I know I can get a reliable response.


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3715 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
I see the large avatar every time I load one of your threads, takes a second or two for it to resize smaller. Not bad enough to say something but if I was viewing on a smaller screen or slower connection....
 
Posts: 899 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
I see the large avatar every time I load one of your threads, takes a second or two for it to resize smaller. Not bad enough to say something but if I was viewing on a smaller screen or slower connection....


better?


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3715 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You do know that you can hide avatars for all users, it's a setting in Preferences. I've disabled them a long time ago. Much safer for work.
 
Posts: 2654 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Thank you fritz and baddog for the replies. They make a lot more sense than the owners manual. Exx, even the way creslin posted it doesn't look that annoying.. and like I said, nobody has said anything until you did, in the 6-12 months I've had this one ... If I sign up for your forum at some point I'll be more cognizant of my avatar size... I guess? I'll fix it tomorrow. did I make too many "noob" threads recently for your liking? I apologize. I'm sure there was someone you annoyed when you were getting into this sport, sigforum is that guy I annoy for questions where I know I can get a reliable response.


The only reason the way creslin posted it doesn't look annoying is because it's in a message body. When it loads that large as an avatar, it completely fucks up the way a page displays. It pushes all the text off the side and the whole thing is just a mess.

As mentioned, it's noticeable mostly on phones or on computers with poor internet connections.

It just so happened that I opened this thread the other day from my phone, and was like "holy shit that's a mess", so I said something. Don't feel like I'm picking on you, the number of your n00b threads has no bearing. I'm somewhat of an avatar nazi, and point it out to everyone I see. It's been a while, but I do call everyone out on it, so don't feel bad.


As for your apology about the number of n00b threads - totally unnecessary. I don't mind them, at all, and I enjoy sharing knowledge when I have some. I stepped into this thread since I thought it was about "long range scopes", then realized you'd already bought one and needed advice on that specific one. I've never owned one of those, so I didn't have anything to offer beyond "fix your avatar", hence the brevity in my previous message (and I was on my phone).

I'm honestly not sure how my forum handles avatars. There aren't a ton of users, and there are even fewer that have figured out how to work avatars. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Who did I annoy when I was getting into this? Damn near everyone that would listen to me. LOL That's how I learned so much so fast. The key is to be able to figure out who actually knows what they're talking about, vs guys that like to think they do. There are a pretty good (albeit small) group of LR shooters on here, so you'll get solid advice. My forum has a much greater number, since it's focused on rifles, but the overall membership is FAR lower than the 80-some-odd-thousand of SF, so responses generally don't come as fast, and yes, there are guys on there that are also trying to learn that may or may not pass along bad intel. That usually sorts itself out pretty quickly. But there are several guys from here on there, as well as several highly-ranked national-level PRS shooters on there. Give it a look if you want.

Please, do keep asking your questions though. I remember how confusing it was when I was getting started, especially with reloading (there was probably a time or three Nikon wanted to choke me), and I'd rather you learn here than from some fudd on some public range somewhere...




Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.
 
Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Thank you fritz and baddog for the replies. They make a lot more sense than the owners manual. Exx, even the way creslin posted it doesn't look that annoying.. and like I said, nobody has said anything until you did, in the 6-12 months I've had this one ... If I sign up for your forum at some point I'll be more cognizant of my avatar size... I guess? I'll fix it tomorrow. did I make too many "noob" threads recently for your liking? I apologize. I'm sure there was someone you annoyed when you were getting into this sport, sigforum is that guy I annoy for questions where I know I can get a reliable response.


The only reason the way creslin posted it doesn't look annoying is because it's in a message body. When it loads that large as an avatar, it completely fucks up the way a page displays. It pushes all the text off the side and the whole thing is just a mess.

As mentioned, it's noticeable mostly on phones or on computers with poor internet connections.

It just so happened that I opened this thread the other day from my phone, and was like "holy shit that's a mess", so I said something. Don't feel like I'm picking on you, the number of your n00b threads has no bearing. I'm somewhat of an avatar nazi, and point it out to everyone I see. It's been a while, but I do call everyone out on it, so don't feel bad.


As for your apology about the number of n00b threads - totally unnecessary. I don't mind them, at all, and I enjoy sharing knowledge when I have some. I stepped into this thread since I thought it was about "long range scopes", then realized you'd already bought one and needed advice on that specific one. I've never owned one of those, so I didn't have anything to offer beyond "fix your avatar", hence the brevity in my previous message (and I was on my phone).

I'm honestly not sure how my forum handles avatars. There aren't a ton of users, and there are even fewer that have figured out how to work avatars. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Who did I annoy when I was getting into this? Damn near everyone that would listen to me. LOL That's how I learned so much so fast. The key is to be able to figure out who actually knows what they're talking about, vs guys that like to think they do. There are a pretty good (albeit small) group of LR shooters on here, so you'll get solid advice. My forum has a much greater number, since it's focused on rifles, but the overall membership is FAR lower than the 80-some-odd-thousand of SF, so responses generally don't come as fast, and yes, there are guys on there that are also trying to learn that may or may not pass along bad intel. That usually sorts itself out pretty quickly. But there are several guys from here on there, as well as several highly-ranked national-level PRS shooters on there. Give it a look if you want.

Please, do keep asking your questions though. I remember how confusing it was when I was getting started, especially with reloading (there was probably a time or three Nikon wanted to choke me), and I'd rather you learn here than from some fudd on some public range somewhere...


I appreciate you being more of an adult than I was last night, long day at work and a few drink... no excuse and I apologize. Is the avatar fixed now? I was on your forum yesterday for an hour actually and will likely be joining if I can figure this fucking scope out and stick with it.


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3715 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:




I was on your forum yesterday for an hour actually and will likely be joining if I can figure this fucking scope out and stick with it.


Whats the forum?





Posted from my iPhone.
 
Posts: 3998 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:




I was on your forum yesterday for an hour actually and will likely be joining if I can figure this fucking scope out and stick with it.


Whats the forum?


http://precisionrifleforums.com/


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3715 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Thanks!





Posted from my iPhone.
 
Posts: 3998 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help with long range scope

© SIGforum 2017