SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lucked into some #4 Buck today at the local fun store.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucked into some #4 Buck today at the local fun store. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted

For self-defense rounds, all I have ever shot are slugs and 00 Buck so I’ll be interested to see how #4 Buck performs. I thinking I might use it with my Versa Max Tactical for home defense based upon the ranges involved and save the 00 Buck and slugs for longer distances.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t mind trying some in my Shockwave. Regular pump has 00 and slugs.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That would seem to be an even better platform than mine for 4 Buck based upon how fast this opens up compared to flight control or standard 00 Buck - at least from what I have read.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My 20 Gauge Shockwave has #3 Buck loaded. Honestly at home defense ranges even birdshot is pretty lethal - Paul Harrel had a nice video on different loads, cannot recall if he had 12 gauge #4 buck in that comparison.

Nice score, Federal too!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
Wouldn’t mind trying some in my Shockwave...

My 12ga Shockwave has 8+1 of the Federal 04 buck mini-shells, good luck finding any now.

https://www.federalpremium.com...ell/11-SH129+4B.html

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any #4 in forever. Every now and then I'll see some 00. My favorite is Federal flitecontrol #1 but loads like that have completely disappeared.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use #4buck for home defense I have some rounds of it in the maverick in the corner and two rounds in the coachgun behind the headboard(also have some slugs and 00 buck on a shot card)I figure it will do what I need; and quoting Chris Baker at Lucky Gunner, “ A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” And that works for me.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
Wouldn’t mind trying some in my Shockwave...

My 12ga Shockwave has 8+1 of the Federal 04 buck mini-shells, good luck finding any now.

https://www.federalpremium.com...ell/11-SH129+4B.html

I just found some #4/#1 buck mix mini-shells on Ammoseek. $100 for 20 rounds.
Pass.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift: Has anyone ever seen snap caps for 12ga mini shells? I cannot find them anywhere, a reloader pal was unable to make some from empty cases.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I haven't but it would seem simple to cut down plastic snap caps to 1 3/4".

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had federal reduced recoil #4 in my Wingmaster for years, that stuff is legit.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Son -- ya done good !!

nice score Smile

that's pretty much the ideal load for home defense (toss up between that and #1 IMO)

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

that's pretty much the ideal load for home defense (toss up between that and #1 IMO)

Never looked at #4 (not sure why) as I always went for #1. Have a case of Sellier & Bellot 12x2¾ #1 Buck (12 pellets @ ~1215fps). May not the best #1 available but for home defense / close range it is more than up to the task. Big Grin

As an aside the Winchester Super-X in like size carries 16 pellets @ 1250fps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Son -- ya done good !!

nice score Smile

-------------------------------

I had my choice of 4Buck, 00 Buck, or slugs. I have plenty of the latter two so I jumped on the 4 Buck. Price was almost pre panic pricing as well.

Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
LGS here has #2 Buck, 9 pellets, in 25 rnd boxs. Picked up 2 for my 20 gauge Security pump yesterday. Got some #5 shot also for little target practice.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
What type of pricing did you see?

Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Lets see, the #2 buck was 34.95 a box (25) and the #5 shot was 19.95 also for 25. 9mm was 39.95 for an off brand. New 20ga on the way and this was the only shells I could find. Not many on-line dealers will ship to here.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Honestly at home defense ranges even birdshot is pretty lethal

I wouldn't ever use birdshot for self defense if I had anything else. You risk a nasty looking, but relatively superficial wound.

Of course, it goes without saying that big lead shot for geese would penetrate better than number 8s, but still. Lead BBs are only .180". Steel F shot is .22" and is steel and penetrates less than lead of the same size. Even a number 4 buck pellet is .24".

I don't want to get shot with any of it, but use buckshot, or slugs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I wouldn't ever use birdshot for self defense if I had anything else. You risk a nasty looking, but relatively superficial wound.

Totally agree. If you're of a mind to mess with someone as opposed to stopping them cold, use rock salt loads instead of birdshot.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rock...mo&atb=v255-1&ia=web

Of what's available, this one strikes me as quite interesting. Smile

https://essentialgearoutfitter...ock-salt-ammunition/
"The 12 Gauge 2 3/4″ Rock Salt and Pepper round contains rock salt and Israeli Police pepper compound. The Rock Salt and Pepper provides a very effective less lethal double punch not found in a regular rock salt round. On target contact, the Rock Salt will break the skin with intense stinging and the Pepper Blast will burn like Hell’s fire. It is used as an alternative less than lethal force. It is suitable for animal control and home defense."

All that said I'll stay with my #1 Buck. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First Paul Harrell can be a bit irritating at times and I'm sort of on the fence about whether I like him or think he's a meathead. However his Meat Target tests are both interesting and illustrative. So following are links to two of his video's, one featuring #4 Buckshot and another featuring Birdshot Target loads. I would suggest watching both. Because even a 1 ounce 12 gauge Target load for Skeet can be quite devastating under 20 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1F-MQ80IS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

PS; I shoot Skeet and load for it and if I ever run short on #4 buck I have an excellent backup in all the skeet shells I've loaded.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post