SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nosier Match grade ammo , opinions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosier Match grade ammo , opinions please Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I have a Rock River Predator 16” factory manual states 3/4” moa with match ammunition.
I’m not even attempting to ask the silly question of “will this ammo give me that thru this rifle”.
I have gotten sub moa with this rifle using Hornady 73gr eld but I have a line on a good deal (given current prices) on 300-400rds of the Nosler 223 69gr Match Grade Custom Competition and wonder if anyone here has experience with it.
* I have no experience with Nosler ammunition.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short answer -- it's not in the league of other 69 grain HPBT loads. I won't buy it again, as long as I have access to other ammo with 69 SMK bullets. I probably wouldn't buy it as long as I can shoot 55 grain plastic tip ammo, either -- like Hornady Vmax or ammo that uses Sierra's equivalent to the Vmax bullet.

The Nosler ammo is pretty -- great looking brass, bullets look uniform.

It's the slowest of all 69-grain factory ammo I've tested. Their competition bullet has a lower BC than SMK, so it requires noticeably more elevation at longer distances.

It will shoot about 1 to 1-1/2 MOA at distances to 300-400 yards in my 223 rifles. A few times I got 2 to 2-1/2 MOA WTF fliers, and the fliers weren't from my trigger pulls, or the wind. FGMM 69 shoots in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA ballpark in my rifles -- both bolt action and AR15. I've shot Nosler ammo side by side with 69 grain FGMM, Gorilla, Federal's other 69-grain loads, Freedom Munitions, and Sierra. This was done over the course of a few months this fall and winter.

Nosler is way better than FMJ ammo, but it is a long ways from match ammo.

I see Nosler 223 ammo on ammoseek.com here and there. I think it doesn't sell out all that fast because people like me know it just isn't in the league of factory match ammo.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've loaded Nosler 223 and 6mm bullets, could not get them to shoot anywhere near a Berger or Sierra.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And here I thought I’d get to learn which match ammo couldn’t stay out of other people’s business. Wink

Seriously, good information as usual from fritz and offgrid.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post