SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Input sought on new rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Input sought on new rifle Login/Join 
Picture of Spieler
posted
Ok oh wise forum members, I seek your opinion on my next scary black rifle.

I want a short 5.56mm that uses commonly available mags. Probably won't see more than 500 rounds through it yearly, maybe less if current ammo prices hold.

The two models that are immediately available to me are:

1. Kel-Tech RDB. I know, it's Kel-Tech so I know what I'm getting into. However, it takes AR mags, I like and have experience with bullpups and it has generally positive reviews from all I could glean from the idiot web. Price $950

2. ATI Galil pistol with brace. Yeah, it's not a rifle, but what the hey. New US receiver and barrel on a parts kit, mags are still around for $20 and it really scratches that '80 cool factor. I know about the ATI receiver/surplus mag feed issues, so again, I know what I'm in for. $999

This will be a fun gun (aren't they all?) that may occasionally get thrown in the truck.

So with cost basically a wash, what's your pick?

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'd get the Kel-Tek if it were me. I've got a couple of their P3AT pistols and Mrs. Flash has the PMR30 and they all run flawlessly.

I've been a member of their forum for years and for the most part, peoples' problems with them have been self inflicted

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The ATI Galils aren't heat treated properly. Reputable builders refuse to touch them. Build one on a Tortort or CNC machine. Look up Hillbilly Firearms for a quality build. Or buy a new IWI Galil Ace.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tell me again why you don't want a pistol AR? I wouldn't touch either of your choices.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Desert Tech MDRx in side eject. You can get it in 16 or 20" barrel both will be under 30" long. Also is multi caliber to 7.62 if you are inclined later.

If you want to SBR it they make an 11.5" conversion kit that makes the entire rifle 22" long. It will be hard to beat that.

Extreme guns and ammo is the largest supplier of DT guns but most are back ordered.

Comes in scary black or FDE.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrozenIceman:
Desert Tech MDRx in side eject. You can get it in 16 or 20" barrel both will be under 30" long. Also is multi caliber to 7.62 if you are inclined later.

If you want to SBR it they make an 11.5" conversion kit that makes the entire rifle 22" long. It will be hard to beat that.

Extreme guns and ammo is the largest supplier of DT guns but most are back ordered.

Comes in scary black or FDE.

I cannot say enough bad stuff about the MDR.
I bought one and sent it back 4 times for repair within a year.
Eventually I simply got tired of dealing them and their shitty support.
I sold it to someone for like $500.
Utter. Piece. Of. Shit.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
tell me again why you don't want a pistol AR? I wouldn't touch either of your choices.

Because I have a shit ton of ARs in just about every length, caliber and flavor. Just looking for something a bit off the beaten path. Since it won't serve as a serious defensive rifle, I've imposed a personal $1k price cap on myself.

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, the MDR had some serious problems, which was expected as it was DT's first semi auto rifle. I am sorry to hear you paid the early adopter tax. Not unlike the early issues with th M16 (and that thing only had to feed one ammo and mag manufacturer at the time).

Or more recently the notoriously unreliable and dangerous guns from Kel Tec up to 2018 or so. (Look up Kel Tec fluff and buff). Seriously don't buy anything from Kel tec made before 2018.

However the MDRx is a different gun with less than 75% (seriously they kept the takedown pins, allen screws, and buttstock pad) of the same parts between the two platforms. Now about 25% of the MDRx parts are reverse compatible.

In addition the MDR had a free under warranty upgrade program (gas block and ejector) for the MDR and lifetime transferable warranty in 2019 onward (all DT older products grandfathered in).

It is a solid platform now, which is why I recommend the MDRx.

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a RDB last summer for a few months and couple hundred rounds.
It handled very well, never had any issues with it running steel cased ammo.
The only reason I got rid of it is because I just don’t like bullpups
I think it actually handled better than my X95 9mm that I also got rid for the same reason.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post