SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PTR 91 battle rifle..... experiences? Pics?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTR 91 battle rifle..... experiences? Pics? Login/Join 
Picture of Fusternc
posted
Hey everyone,

I’ve started toying with the idea of maybe picking up one of these. Curious what everyones experiences have been. Specifically leaning toward the PTR 91 GI version with the welded on rail.

Plan is occasional fun at the range from 100 to 600 yards or so shooting steel. Would likely add a low power scope or red dot.

Are they worth the $1k shipped price point? Issues? Pics are always appreciated. Smile

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one a while back. Don't think I ever shot it at over 100 yards, not impressive. It did run ok, which some apparently did not. Took 3 gunshows to get rid of it and the stack of mags. I think it brought $500. Glad to see it go out the door. FALs are a much better rifle, M14 clones even better.

Posts: 1636 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've owned a PTR 91, a Stg. 58 FAL, and a couple M1As. Of the three "old school .308 battle rifles", the 91 was my least favorite. I've since sold or traded all but the M1As.

The PTRs are better than the various Century models, but some still have problems.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You'd be better off trying to locate a standard stamped receiver, early Greek made Springfield Armory SAR-8 with the stamped receiver. These are identical to the HK91 in build quality and materials. They were made on HK machines under contract and cost considerably less. I have one and it is an excellent, reliable example of a 7.62 battle rifle.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15491 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
You'd be better off trying to locate a standard stamped receiver, early Greek made Springfield Armory SAR-8 with the stamped receiver. These are identical to the HK91 in build quality and materials. They were made on HK machines under contract and cost considerably less. I have one and it is an excellent, reliable example of a 7.62 battle rifle.

I would LOVE to have one of these. Seems the stamped ALUMINUM receiver ones from Springfield are crap though, but the Sar 8 overstamped ones that say made in Greece are the good receivers.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
I bought a PTR91 last year. It's a fine battle rifle. I have the boring OD one without the rail... about as basic as it gets. Mags are super cheap- you can find them for ~$2 used in good shape. Recoil isn't bad at all but it is not a very well balanced rifle- it is very heavy towards the muzzle end.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have an earlyish 16” PTR. No issues to speak of. I think the welded rail looks really out of place, but it’s nice if you’re going to mount modern optics. Watch a video or two on reloading a G3, and decide if you want to play pat-a-cake with your rifle every time it’s empty.

Posts: 9938 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one. Not a fan. just about everything about it is the worst of the classic .308 battle rifles of the era (FAL and M14). The recoil impulse is awful, weight distribution is bad, optics is a nightmare, it dents brass etc. etc.
On the positive side mine ran no matter what and mags are dirt cheap.
I sold it (it is the only rifle I hated so much I no longer have it). The guy who bought it (a friend) is in love with it and has shot it a zillion rounds no issue. Go figure.
It would not be my first choice and if I convinced myself to get another one on principle I'd shop for a real HK or the SAR>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10957 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of PTR91s since they changed the barrel profile and a number of other small details that makes it different than the original. (heavy profile, omission of barrel sleeve, omission of barrel grooves (for the flash hider lock spring).

Even their GI models are not identical clones of the G3.

They purchased the old FMP tooling which are HK licensed, however the stamping dies are from an obsolete G3 receiver pattern (similar to the early HK41s that predates the HK91), for what that's worth.

The tooling are showing its age as evident from the PTR receivers stamping looking less crisp and clean still, compared to an original HK. You can sort of see this similar occurrence on late model post ban HK guns like the SR9 where the stamped details look more blurry compared to the preban guns.

That said, they're probably still the best quality US made HK91 Clone rifles available today, but there's no comparison to a real HK or a licensed copy.

Finally, The HK91/G3 pattern rifles in general are not very impressive guns as a few others have stated. Poor ergonomics, front heavy, a charging handle that requires gorilla arms to operate, no bolt hold open, buttstock has no storage compartment (telescopic stocks are even worse), mediocre accuracy despite having a free floating barrel, massive recoil, and a huge pain to clean. If you thought the AR15 "shits where it eats", then you've never seen the G3.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Despite the derogatory comments others have mentioned I've always been fond of HK91, the only PTR91 I've owned was a pistol, I planned to SBR it, but I put my registered sear in it so I could add a stock ... It was too uncontrollable in full auto and the muzzle blast made it no fun in semi.

I sold my last 91 when I came to terms with my Ostioprosis and would likely never be able to shoot it due to the heavy recoil. There are ways to negate the recoil, HK makes a couple different heavy recoil buffers designed for the HK21 and combined with the HK21 rubber butt pad ... well, it's much more comfortable to shoot. The recoile is still quite violent, it still dents the heck out of the brass unless you get an ejection port buffer, but with the previously mentioned options you are just isolated from the worst of it ... If you have difficulty charging the 91, get the HK21 extended charge handle, it doesn't require any less force to charge I, but the longer handle makes it seem easier!

I never cared for the FAL as it just didn't fit me. I didn't care for the M14/M1A which mostly didn't have a pistol grip, the chassis hadn't been developed for them yet.

I like the AR10 for the 308 family of cartridges.

I've still got an HK91 clone I built on an SLG-91 receiver with a heavy stainless fluted barrel and the HK21 club foot stock (which has the heavy buffer & rubber butt pad), also a Dakota Tactical HK52 clone(7.62x39) built by Parabellum Combat, Century C-93 Pistol(HK53), Coharie MP5, Omega MP5K & MP5SD ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5699 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I looked at the PTR 91 and the CETME C308. I ended up getting the C308. The PTR was the nicer gun for sure, but I just bought it for fun. It’s a range toy for me and I knew it wouldn’t see a lot of rounds. It was about entertainment for me, not hard or serious use.

I bought 50 mags for $100...and spent an hour or more cleaning them all up.

It’s not a rifle I’d choose over my AR-10’s, but I think it’s a cool rifle and I enjoy shooting it for fun. I don’t recall exactly what I spend on it, but it was around $600-$650. For that money, it has been an enjoyable gun to shoot every now an again, and I’m glad I bought it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post