SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How are Rossi lever action rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are Rossi lever action rifles? Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I’ve always wanted a .357 lever action rifle and a local dealer has a R92 for what seems to be a good price. Are they decent guns or should I just get a Henry?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
i had the stainless 38/357. Suprisingly accurate and fun little rifle. the safety design leaves a lot to be desired and I polished up the action but i never had any issues with it thru about 850 rounds. I eventually sold it and bought an Uberti 1873 .38/357

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
If you get a good one, you get a good one. I kept meaning to send my .44 back because the last round loaded always sticks on the loading gate, but never got around to it. The actions are terribly rough but smooths out a little with use. The accuracy is actually pretty good on mine. I mostly use Leverrevolution and they feed beautifully.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one with an octagonal barrel in 45 colt, an absolute joy of a firearm Smile

The only problem I have with it is that it's a pain to disassemble, so I've decided not to do that very often any more.

that aside, I highly recommend it!

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
I had one in 38/357 cal. Was a really fun toy, I put 1000’s of rounds down range with it and never had any problems. Took several nice deer with it , used it on drives during deer season in western Pa nice and light, made walking up and down these hills easier.

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Great guns. I’ve had a few over the years and they were always good shooters.
There is a distinct difference between the older guns from eight or 10 years ago, compared to the new models.

I bought a new model in 44 mag about a year ago and it is vastly improved compared to the older models. The new guns described as “polished and hardwood” models have upgraded wood, very nice blueing, and taking the new gun apart the internals have all the rough spots cleaned up right from the factory.

For the price I consider the new Rossi rifles a lot of gun for the money.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping in mind that Rossi is Taurus' long gun brand, in general the R92 isn't bad. Though there WERE some rather rough ones over the years (some that I admit that we were ashamed to have to sell), their more recent focus on improved QC has brought the overall level of fit, finish and reliability up from where it was less than a decade or so ago. This coincided with what happened with the changes to their parent division, Taurus. Their wholesale management changes DID make a tangible difference in an overall positive sense (though there still were some WTF clunkers within the Taurus line like the Curve). That said, if I were considering a semi-auto 22LR I wouldn't proclaim that a Rossi rimfire is an equal to the cheapest 10/22 available, nor would I say that taking a Taurus Judge and turning it into a cylinder-fed, pistol grip rifle is a great idea.

It's not all that much different a tale that could have been said about woes and subsequent general improvement in quality over at Marlin, right up to the point when Remington declared it last bankruptcy and the pieces were FINALLY taken away from their former inept and incompetent masters at Cerberus Capital. They weren't perfect by any means either, but prior to Remington's collapse Marlin's build QC was markedly improved over where they were in the early part of the 2010s.

The tough part at this moment is that there aren't a lot of lever gun options available in the marketplace, particularly for new guns. Henry rifles are currently very hard to source, as are the imported Winchesters and Browning BLRs, which Browning often won't even give estimated arrival dates into the U.S. the last time I checked. Like most Italian-sourced product from parent Beretta and Benelli, Uberti long guns aren't coming in with the same frequency prior to Rona though I think you can still find them, if infrequently. Quite different price points than the typical R92, however. Cimarron levers are supposed to be decent though I've not handled one in a while, let alone shot one.

Of course I should advise to use a cautionary eye when considering any used Rossi; there are definitely reasons why one would get sold off by its former owner that don't have anything to do with a need for quick cash.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Rossi lever guns are perfectly adequate platforms and in my limited experience plenty accurate. I dislike the bolt mounted safety on newer ones, but its a fairly easy fix to completely remove it and handle it the way they've always been meant to be handled- like a single action pistol.

If you ever consider trying to scope it, get a Marlin instead. These are definitely best left an open sight shooter. I had one for a short time (24" octagon barrel .357) and mounted a Marble's Bullseye rear sight and it made it uncannily accurate.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
we sell plenty of Henry's at work,

however I would buy a Rossi over a Henry in a second,

another to look for if you don't mind used, is a Browning 92

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine. It is an amazing fun gun and shoots perfectly. The only issue I have had is with soft points or hollow points with a soft tip, as they get caught on the corner of the ramp.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feedback everyone! I was expecting them to be trash, really glad I asked.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago when I purchased my Rossi .357-Magnum lever-action, it first felt kind of rough. So the following weekend, I lubed it up, and while watching 2 or 3 movies cycled the lever a few thousand times. It is now smooth and and silky !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have one and I love it. 16” barrel . I did take the gun apart and de-burr everything and slather valve grinding compound on the inside and worked the lever a buncha times..then I wash it all off with mineral spirits and oiled the gun and put it back together.....it cycles awesome now. I also cut a half a piece off the trigger spring.

It’s perfect now.
Cycles 38 and 357 and is small and slim.
I did put a brass beaded front sight on it because of my eyesight.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post