SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .458 Socom Build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Socom Build Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Anyone have any experience with the 458 Socom?

I have plenty of .223...thinking about making one.

Parts are obviously a bit harder to find and a little pricier. I don't reload, so ammo cost could be an issue, although I don't see myself shooting it frequently. Just in the mood for something different.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have been told by a reliable commercial reloader that specs for .458 SOCOM ammo are not fully standardized, such that you need to match your chamber to the ammo dies or ammo manufacturer you use. I.e., each .458 SOCOM barrel builder uses their own variation of the .458 SOCOM reamer, and they all differ a little bit. He told me that he has three different sets of .458 SOCOM dies so that he can load to the customer's chamber.

I have no personal experience, but I have bought a lot of ammo from this guy over the years.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Stick with rifle parts from Tromix. From what I gather, they are the only ines properly building to spec, even the stuff from Wilson Combat is substandard. Over on 458 Socom forum, that is what everyone swears by.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I have most of the parts in for a lil thumper. No real reason, and factory ammo is speedy. But, a friendly guy at the range let me shoot his 450 several years back, and I've had an irrational jonesing for a big bore ever since.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tromix and Black Butterfly ammo if you dont reload.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig229owner
posted Hide Post
Tromix is definitely a good source for .458 SOCOM parts.

The round does not have SAAMI specs yet, so there are some manufacturers that are building parts that do not have an agreement with the original inventor (Marty at Teppo Jutsu).

Tromix has an agreement. So does Rock River Arms, SBR, SSK (JD Jones), Saturn, and Red Creek Tactical. Pretty much all others are using bastardized reamers.

Wilson Combat does not have an agreement and at one point they were doing some stuff with the barrel extension lugs that were sketchy. I have a .458 I built with Wilson Combat barrel and parts and have not had issues with it, but I purchased the parts before I knew the whole story on the round.

Ammo is pricey if you don’t reload (I don’t), but SBR ammunition has plenty of options from 200gr to 500gr.

I currently have 2 .458 SOCOM rifles, one built with WC parts and one with a RRA upper. Both are 16” barrels. They are fun to shoot for sure.

The ballistics are similar to the 45-70 gov’t round, so the cartridge is essentially a 200yd round.

I am currently working on getting parts to build an SBR upper in .458 to use with my Silencerco Hybrid. But keep in mind Silencerco has only tested the round in 16” barrels and will not guarantee that a short barrel will be hearing safe.

I will be using Tromix parts for that build.

There are some very knowledgeable and nice folks over at .458 SOCOM forum who are more than willing to share info.

Posts: 801 | Registered: July 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have one but it is rock river.
If you reload go with hornady dies.
I learned this the hard way about a dozen years back after buying a useless set from Lee.
The thing back then was as a new round it was up in the air as to spec's,sure time has cured the growing pains.
Also do not use collapse stocks on your build if you like your teeth.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229owner:
Tromix is definitely a good source for .458 SOCOM parts.

The round does not have SAAMI specs yet, so there are some manufacturers that are building parts that do not have an agreement with the original inventor (Marty at Teppo Jutsu).

Tromix has an agreement. So does Rock River Arms, SBR, SSK (JD Jones), Saturn, and Red Creek Tactical. Pretty much all others are using bastardized reamers.

Wilson Combat does not have an agreement and at one point they were doing some stuff with the barrel extension lugs that were sketchy. I have a .458 I built with Wilson Combat barrel and parts and have not had issues with it, but I purchased the parts before I knew the whole story on the round.

Ammo is pricey if you don’t reload (I don’t), but SBR ammunition has plenty of options from 200gr to 500gr.

I currently have 2 .458 SOCOM rifles, one built with WC parts and one with a RRA upper. Both are 16” barrels. They are fun to shoot for sure.

The ballistics are similar to the 45-70 gov’t round, so the cartridge is essentially a 200yd round.

I am currently working on getting parts to build an SBR upper in .458 to use with my Silencerco Hybrid. But keep in mind Silencerco has only tested the round in 16” barrels and will not guarantee that a short barrel will be hearing safe.

I will be using Tromix parts for that build.

There are some very knowledgeable and nice folks over at .458 SOCOM forum who are more than willing to share info.

Wow, excellent info. Thank you.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post