SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    time for another AR build...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

time for another AR build... Login/Join 
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
What I like doing is watching sales and picking up items one at a time to complete a build. I get them as I can afford and once enough pieces come together I will complete the build. In my opinion this is the best way to go. I get the best of everything I want.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I bought a PSA Upper with a stainless 1 in 7 barrel twist rate and Magpul furniture and a PSA Lower with a Magpul stock for a total of $450. This is my third AR 15 and it's my most accurate. My other two are a S&W Sport II and a DPMS. They all shoot as they should and they are 100% reliable.
My PSA AR-15 with a Nikon P223 3-9x40mm scope

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally would steer clear of anything made by DSA. I ended up with a out of spec lower from them and my Chief had a upper which would not run for him with two trips back to them on same. There are much better vendors available rather than them. IMHO.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I mean if you want to do a retro build, cool - but I find the more I tie things to desired capabilities, the more I get out of a firearm and the less I spend $$$ on stuff I have no need for. And I have done a lot of that previously. Wink

YMMV, Good Luck. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I mean if you want to do a retro build, cool - but I find the more I tie things to desired capabilities, the more I get out of a firearm and the less I spend $$$ on stuff I have no need for. And I have done a lot of that previously. Wink

YMMV, Good Luck. Big Grin

I agree with this. I like the A1 for a bit of 'old school' but it gets shot way less than my other rifles with optics and whatnot.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Well, it's begun. I'll still have some time to decide where I'm going with this build, but I'm starting to pick up pieces here and there.

Palmetto has a LPK with their EPT trigger and a black MOE+ grip which I was probably going to buy anyway, for $59.99, so I jumped at it. Most people have said it's very similar to the ALG-ACT which I have in my other rifle and love, and the whole kit is less than that trigger by itself, so I count that as a win.

Next purchase will be a lower itself, missed the LGS hours today but no rush on it really. I'm sure I'll be tempted to go with another billet lower but I think a standard one will be plenty sufficient for this build.

I'm starting to reconsider the retro build since I really don't have a purpose for it. I think I would probably be better suited to do an 18" MK12ish type build, or a lightweight 14.5" with a pinned comp, and I think I'll go with BCM again most likely. Not exactly budget, but why half ass it. I found out this week what my raise will be for the promotion I got at work, which should dictate just how soon I can reward myself Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Palmetto has a LPK with their EPT trigger and a black MOE+ grip which I was probably going to buy anyway, for $59.99,

Well that just cost me some money. I went there looking for that deal. It was gone but they had one just like it with the ambi safety for $64.95.

I only needed the LPK for my current build but I will certainly use the other items, the grip and EPT ( I have one of these and really like it, not everything can have a Larue or Geissele) for future builds.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

I don't find the A2 too heavy, but I am used to shooting a Match gun for High Power comps,

I do find the stock too long for me, I use A1 length stocks

ditto,

no weight in the mag,,

but do have weight in both ends,

You High Power guys are crazy. What with lead weights inside your handguards and whatnot. Razz

MY NM AR-15 also has a 3 pound lead weight in the buttstock, along with the lead in the handguards. At least I didn't get a magazine with lead under the 10 round mark.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I really like the noveske 60 degree selector so I may switch to that, but for now that kit is more than sufficient for the money.

The MOE+ is listed for $23 at midway alone, so to get the whole lpk with the EPT trigger for essentially $36 is a buy and a half.

They had the fde for 64.95 but I like my blacked out rifles Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Shopped a little at work today and picked up an Anderson buffer tube kit for $39 and a Strike Industries Viper Mod 1 stock in black with red QD swivels. Total came to $83 accounting for shipping. So far this is shaping up to be a half decent build.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:

I'm starting to reconsider the retro build since I really don't have a purpose for it. I think I would probably be better suited to do an 18" MK12ish type build..................... Big Grin

I too suggest one consider a rifle length gas system 18" Mk12ish build. They can be done on a budget, but if you can swing an extra hondo, the $200ish dpms ss teflon coated mk 12 barrel is a good budget version of the real-deal Douglas Mk12 barrels. Just add a YHMS front folding sight/gas block and a free float KAC look alike hand guard and you will have one of the nicest shooting rifles one can build on a budget (imo).

Posts: 205 | Location: United States | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clawsonbob:
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:

I'm starting to reconsider the retro build since I really don't have a purpose for it. I think I would probably be better suited to do an 18" MK12ish type build..................... Big Grin

I too suggest one consider a rifle length gas system 18" Mk12ish build. They can be done on a budget, but if you can swing an extra hondo, the $200ish dpms ss teflon coated mk 12 barrel is a good budget version of the real-deal Douglas Mk12 barrels. Just add a YHMS front folding sight/gas block and a free float KAC look alike hand guard and you will have one of the nicest shooting rifles one can build on a budget (imo).

Did you mean DPMS or CMMG? I don't see any 18" barrels on DPMS's website currently...

Having looked at a couple videos of gas block installation I feel pretty dumb for not considering doing it myself, though I imagine that's a great way to push the build cost up.

Anyone have feedback on Aero Precision's uppers? They have a $460 18" complete upper with a CMV/QPQ coated barrel, and a $475 of the same but with a 416 SS barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcat,

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Just put this one together last night (PSA 20", 1:7, nitride).
Couldn't resist the complete kit for $399 and free shipping.

Will have to see how it shoots, this weekend.
Looks like I will have to find a carry handle for it. Looks odd without one.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
They advertised an upper earlier, 20" LW with a keymod rail for $279 no BCG/CH. I almost jumped.

As an aside, the combo deals they've been putting together are bonkers. Currently a 16" MOE freedom rifle with a 30rd pmag, and a Springfield XDS 45 with 6 mags, a paddle holster, a mag pouch, a pistol rug, and two magazine sleeves for $799.

posted Hide Post
http://palmettostatearmory.com...arging-handle-1.html

I finished of a rifle with this one last month. Put a Troy fixed sight on it for now. With luck I will finally get to fire it this weekend.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Update since we're in full swing with this project.

I ordered the PSA EPT lower parts kit with the MOE+ grip, as well as an anderson stock kit and Strike Industries viper stock. Those parts all arrived this week, so this morning I went and picked up the lower receiver. I managed to get my hands on an Anderson billet lower for $59 out the door.

Got home and put it all together, and I am very happy with the outcome thus far. Some of the PSA parts will definitely need to wear into the Anderson lower, as the pins and safety are pretty tight currently. I do plan to eventually replace the selector with a 60 degree one eventually, but for now I just wanted to put the lower together.

As to the PSA EPT, I'm exceptionally impressed. I have an ALG ACT in my other rifle, and this PSA trigger's coating is a hell of a lot slicker. In testing it with my BCM upper, the trigger is noticeably lighter than the ACT, but they're equally smooth and both have a nice predictable break.

After buying the SI Viper stock, it prompted me to look into some of their other stuff. I really like a lot of what they have to offer, and especially since I've got the anodized red QDs on the stock, I've decided to incorporate some more of their red stuff into the rifle to balance it out.

I'm going to go with the SI Phantom latchless charging handle to give that a try. I have a Raptor on my other rifle but I haven't been able to find a decent price on another and I like the latchless idea, so for $32 I'll give it a shot. I'm also thinking I'll swap the forward assist and the mag catch for the Strike red versions to break up the black on the lower.

Another interesting thing I found is that Strike makes their LINK series which are rail panels that work with both M LOK and keymod. I'll likely pick up at least one of those in Red as well.

Haven't yet decided what I'm going with for the upper, but I have some time since I'm not quite ready to jump on that purchase yet. I would love to go with another BCM, but don't know if I can swing the budget for it, and may have to stick with PSA. I'm thinking stainless barrel for this one since they seem to be a better value than the CHF line at PSA.

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haven't yet decided what I'm going with for the upper, but I have some time since I'm not quite ready to jump on that purchase yet. I would love to go with another BCM, but don't know if I can swing the budget for it,

Go with the Blem. From the reviews I've read, you can hardly tell, if at all.
https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...per%20-m4%20demo.htm

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post