SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Kriss Defiance 22lr
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kriss Defiance 22lr Login/Join 
posted
So as you know i picked up a vector in 40snw. While waiting on that, I saw an ad for kriss's new ar patterned 22lr.

It has billet upper and lower, mil spec trigger, and buffer tube, rifle length fully modular aluminium hand gaurd, Excelent BUIS sights, and a few other features i will get to.

The Bolt release is meant to work with black dog's third gen mags.
quote:
Designed as the ultimate AR training platform the DMK22 features a true last round bolt lock feature.

The barrel is a chromolly ruger 10/22 style barrel. So, most after market 10/22 barrels will fit on this gun. Pac-Lite, Green Mountain, Llija.... It comes with a muzzle brake that can be removed revealing 1/2x28 threads
quote:
The patented barrel adapter allows for the installation of currently available aftermarket Ruger® 10/22 .22lr barrels.

Well it arrived today. I put on another Romeo 5, sighted it in. I was not really shooting for groups. At 25 yds off hand 10 rounds were about an inch and a half with the romeo. I will say that it was gusty enough to keep blowing my ammo box, the rifle box, and my mat off the bench while trying to do this. I expect it to be more accurate when shooting via rest.

The trigger is standard AR trigger. any applicable drop in will work. I will use my trigger pull to see what poundage it is at now.

I put 150 rounds in during the sight in process. I had 4 failures to eject on the the last box of cci standard. 2 on the first mag of ten, 1 on the second mag of ten and one on the 3rd. All were the 1 round except for the 2nd on the first mag. Mags 4 and 5 were fine, the first 100 rounds at 10 shots per mag were fine.

I will shoot it a bit more and give some more feedback in a day or so.
https://kriss-usa.com/rifles/rimfire/dmk22

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looks really nice.

I'm not sure if it's worth 2x the price of a M&P 15-22, though...

Posts: 32422 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having owned both, I would say it is. The more accurate ar15 recreation by its self is a good thing, not that the 15/22 was horrible. Having a true Bolt hold open/last round hold open is another. Being able to drop in ar15 triggers, and use aftermarket 10/22 barrels is also an advantage. Having a muzzle break included along with the standardized 1/2x28 threading is also a big plus. The sights are far better than Magpul standard. I will take some more detailed pics.

As to how I ended up here with this one.

I started with an HK MP5 clone, then a 522 clone, Then the colt ar15 tactical plunger clone, then the Smith 15/22. I sold or traded all of those for one reason or another. MP5 was a pain to clean, I had the recoil spring rod break about 5 times on the 522, though I loved the gun, the colt worked less than 10 rounds in a row, the 15/22 was the best hands down, but to light. After the 15/22 I assembled a poly ar15 lower and tactical solutions ar22 upper. Then put the two together. I liked this but someone wanted a poly lower, so I switched to an aero P lower. I fell in love with the rifle then. It was a kick-ass bit of fun. I sold it as the laws were changing in CT. I have mourned the loss since then. I have considered the 15/22 again for a while, I thought about building another Ar22. When I saw the feature set of this and the easy changeability of the barrel being one of my main draws. The ability to use cmmg/black dog mags is a big second. I loved them in my 522 and regretted including them in the sale of my ar22.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That's a really nice rifle, DS!

I decided on my 15-22 several years ago because the controls were so AR 5.56 -like, compared to the others at the time.

I figured, if I wanted a more realistic weight, I could add golfer's lead tape fore and aft.
It worked backwards. It made me want 15-.22 weight centerfire AR's. Cool

Looking forward to your accuracy testing with assorted .22LR ammo and OEM barrel/trigger before modifying ( hint, hint).

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine its actually better as a firearm or AR training tool than the cmmg uppers I normally use but the 10/22 barrel compatibility sounds like a nifty and useful idea.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry i did not have time to get the thing out and do some shooting today. I had an adjuster out for a bit of water damage today. That tooke up a fair bit of time. Then i had to pick up 2 harrells tuners for my Anni MPR and Kimber 82g. So when i do shoot it will be a session to say the least.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
44mag.com is showing BDM mags in stock with both nylon and SS feed lips (I have both and can't see any difference)...$12.50 to $13.50 each...

http://www.44mag.com/category/black_dog_machine

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
We are hoping that they will be popular enough over here in yUK for the STUPID FREAKIN' price to come down to a realistic level!!!

I'd just love to have one, but there is no way on earth that I'm paying out almost $1300 for the basic black shorty-barrel version.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Very interesting ... did you say (or someone) say thatcan change the barrel to any 10-22 barrel? I thought I read that but when I went back after reading the rest of the posts I couldn’t find it so maybe I imagined it ... I’m in the dentist waiting room, on my phone ... interesting concept if it’s possible. If that’s the case I may have to look into one.

I’ve been through several 22 semi’s some I’ve still got only because I’ve got too much in them and no one else wants to pay for my mistake ... the Zimmerman Arms “Reveloution” springs to mind. The rest I’m pretty happy with. My SiG 522 is an SBR’d pistol but I haven’t had nearly the issues you’ve had, it’s been reliable and problem free and although I’ve had it for several years it’s only got a few thousand rounds down the tube ... a CMMG PDW which is almost exclusive to my M16 but occasionally sits on a semi lower ... and I’ve got a military AR conversion that is mostly reliable but since getting the CMMG it’s mostly on the shelf ... I’ve had a couple AK-22’s, both were mag and ammo sensitive. And like most everyone, a couple 10-22’s.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Very interesting ... did you say (or someone) say thatcan change the barrel to any 10-22 barrel? I thought I read that but when I went back after reading the rest of the posts I couldn’t find it so maybe I imagined it ... I’m in the dentist waiting room, on my phone ... interesting concept if it’s possible. If that’s the case I may have to look into one.

I'm with you there - I'd be a lot more interested in a .22 AR that I could put a really high-quality 10/22 barrel in (Kidd or Lilja) and get some serious accuracy out of.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

I’ve been through several 22 semi’s some I’ve still got only because I’ve got too much in them and no one else wants to pay for my mistake ... the Zimmerman Arms “Reveloution” springs to mind. The rest I’m pretty happy with. My SiG 522 is an SBR’d pistol but I haven’t had nearly the issues you’ve had, it’s been reliable and problem free and although I’ve had it for several years it’s only got a few thousand rounds down the tube ... a CMMG PDW which is almost exclusive to my M16 but occasionally sits on a semi lower ... and I’ve got a military AR conversion that is mostly reliable but since getting the CMMG it’s mostly on the shelf ... I’ve had a couple AK-22’s, both were mag and ammo sensitive. And like most everyone, a couple 10-22’s.

yep it uses 10/22 barrels, It is in the first post under the picture of the tan upper and lower. On a side note, it has a true last round old open on the bolt catch. So you are not relying on mags as a last round hold open.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
first post under the picture of the tan upper and lower. On a side note, it has a true last round old open on the bolt catch. So you are not relying on mags as a last round hold open.

So ... it looks like I'm going to have to go back to that "short list" gun thread, because now I have ONE to put on my list!

It's not enough that AR's are so versital ... now all of this!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit of good news and odd news.

Here is the trigger pull averaged out. This is below the advertised 5.5lbs listed.

Now I tried to do some accuracy grouping with this. I mounted my 10x SWFA scope. Got it sighted in, and it was still all over the place. I was not happy with the grouping at all. About 3 inches at 66yds. Something is wonky. I am betting that either the crown or the actual barrel is loose. I will take a pick. Here are the pics of the groups from the bag.

Top left is federal gold metal match 719,
Top Right is CCI standard blue box
center is Eley sub sonich HP
Lower right is Remington Thunderbolt green box.
Lower left is CCI standard again 15 rounds vs ten.

Top left is SK standard
Top Right Norma sb22
Center is RWS sub sonic

I will start with the barrel on the upper. I will see how it goes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
What ammunition are you shooting?

High-velocity (supersonic) .22 LR out of a rifle tends to go subsonic at 50-60 yards and for many loads out of many rifles, the transition causes the bullet to tumble, resulting in appalling accuracy at ranges past that point.

If you haven't, try using a standard-velocity (subsonic) match load - Wolf Match Target is pretty good and pretty inexpensive, and Wolf Match Extra is excellent and still not too bad.

Also try shooting at closer ranges.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
What ammunition are you shooting?

High-velocity (supersonic) .22 LR out of a rifle tends to go subsonic at 50-60 yards and for many loads out of many rifles, the transition causes the bullet to tumble, resulting in appalling accuracy at ranges past that point.

If you haven't, try using a standard-velocity (subsonic) match load - Wolf Match Target is pretty good and pretty inexpensive, and Wolf Match Extra is excellent and still not too bad.

Also, try shooting at closer ranges.

Most of my shooting is with standard velocity. I edited the post above to reflect what ammo was used for what groups. I have a 1960's 10-22 manlicher stock that shoots better than this at the same distance. I use my Anni MPR, Kimber 82G, CZ 455, CZ512, at this same distance on the same bag, and have considerably more consistent groups.

I took the forend off and checked the barrel. It seemed tight. I did not remove the muzzle brake. That is my next step. I am betting it may be my culprit, if not it directly, then maybe a bit of damage to the crown. First though I will see if the barrel needs some hand lapping with bore paste.

I will go over it again and see if it improves.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, clearly you are not new to the rimfire game. Smile

Nice selection of ammo. My understanding is that SK standard is the same as Wolf Match Target.

posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I am not expecting 1 hole groups or even 1 ragged hole. I would expect a ten shot group about an inch, inch, and half max. I have an email into Kriss. Everything I see online, people are saying 5 round half inch groups at 50yds.

posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. Where are these made?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Nice looking rifle. Where are these made?

as far as I know, they are made in Chesapeake VA. That is what it says on the side of the gun.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I look forward to hearing what you figure out about the gun. The idea is really appealing, but your accuracy results are concerning. Keep us updated!