SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg Shockwave - Comments
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg Shockwave - Comments Login/Join 
Picture of 45_Auto
posted
I have been looking at getting a compact shotgun for my "gun" bookshelf (with magnetic locks).
Looking at the Mossberg Shockwave for home defense only. I see it in both 12GA and 20GA, not sure which one to go with? The 20 may be a little bit easier to control in the house? And I think the 12 will be a little rough to shoot?
If anyone has one and would like to share comments, I welcome it.
Thanks-

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the Shockwave video on Hickok45?

IMO, 12ga inside the house is too much.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
After shooting one of those at the local range I decided I'd stick with an 18" barreled shotgun with a buttstock. I couldn't hit for crap with the shockwave. hickock45 makes it look easy.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 12 gauge. I like it.

I put a sidesaddle carrier on my receiver, but it's otherwise stock.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
After shooting one of those at the local range I decided I'd stick with an 18" barreled shotgun with a buttstock. I couldn't hit for crap with the shockwave. hickock45 makes it look easy.

He also says the Ruger LCR .38 Special has acceptable recoil-wrong !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I will probably stick with my 590a1. I like the added substance of the longer barrel, extra rounds on the magazine and sidesaddle.

Haven't shot my shockwave yet!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:

The LCR is a pussycat. If it's too much for you you might need to stick to .22.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:

Perceived recoil is very debatable. I recall people saying how much recoil the 45-70 had and laughed the first time I shot one. Same for the 300WSM. Really depends on what your accustomed to.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the various opinions and comments. I regularly shoot 45ACP, so I am quite accustomed to recoil.
Hickock does make it look easy, but with practice most people can get quite comfortable with almost any weapon, and others just can't deal with recoil.

Decisions, decisions....

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
hickock45 makes everything besides missing look easy.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone shot the 12ga and 20 ga for side-by-side comparison?

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve only shot one with Aguila minishells. It was manageable but not enough to make me want to buy a shotgun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Watch PSA daily deals. I picked mine up a few weeks ago for 299. That price might help make the decision.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Well I bit the bullet yesterday and picked up a Shockwave in 20GA. It was a toss up between the 20 or 12, but settled on the 20. Going to be used strictly for home defense, I think what swayed me was the fact that it would be more controllable.
Now to get out and shoot it (once it gets warmer here) 15 degrees all day was the high!

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I spend a lot of time in the garage, so I got one to tuck away for when I need it. I have it hidden on a couple of pegs.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Other considerations, too. If you already have both 12 and 20, you know about keeping your ammo separate. A 20 will chamber in front of a 12, blowing the gun up if you fire it.

12 has the widest range of ammo. 20 is pretty much what it is. You can find lite 12 gauge loads that are like 20s. Not sure why anyone would suggest the 12 is too much when the loads are about the same with the light target 12s.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, and handled, on both Moss/Rem 20ga models, the receivers are commensurately lighter and more trim, with barrels to match. I do want a Mossy one.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have the 12 guage. If you learn to shoot it from a hip-lock position, and think of your body as a turret, it's pretty damned effective. Puts me greatly in mind of the old Remington WP 870 the Marshals had.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that this will be my next purchase in 12 gauge.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I don’t get these. At all. Why the hell would you choose this over a pistol gripped shotgun like the Mossberg Persuader?

significantly overall shorter length

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post