SIGforum
Becoming Predator (FLIR)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9020007344

June 28, 2018, 05:24 PM
Andyb
Becoming Predator (FLIR)
I've been wanting a thermal scope for years, but price and how fast everything was moving technology wise always kept me out of the game. Late last year FLIR released the PTS233, an "entry" level thermal scope. After lots of research I came to the conclusion it was the best bang for your buck (IMO) on the market currently. Surprisingly lightweight and tons of features. 6 reticle choices along with several colors, several different thermal modes and onboard video reorder. Will hopefully have a better update in the next few days after I get the chance to really play with it. Currently it's on the most tacticool pistol/hog gun I own which recently I was able to confirm from TFB's velocity testing gets some good zip out of the Rattlers short barrel. The scope is a 1.5x true with digital 3x and 6x zoom. Really it's meant for within 200 or so yards which at night is about as far as I plan to be shooting anyway. The next level up in magnification is almost twice the price so for dipping my toes I was more comfortable getting the PTS233 model.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."
June 28, 2018, 05:31 PM
Ryanp225
over here...... Wink
June 28, 2018, 06:04 PM
arcwelder
I use the FLIR One routinely for work. I'd love a thermal rifle scope.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

June 28, 2018, 06:43 PM
Killer Instincts
That is one bitchin' setup, man.

We used to use thermal optics routinely. I definitely want one for 'yote hunting at night on the ranch.

June 28, 2018, 07:07 PM
dry-fly
Nice Virtus!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
June 28, 2018, 08:52 PM
abnmacv
What did it cost?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member
June 28, 2018, 09:41 PM
D4Heavy
Awesome Andy, that's exactly the thermal sight I was looking to get. Have you shot with it yet? Wondering what your thoughts on it are.
June 28, 2018, 11:34 PM
gw3971
Andy, Thats badass! I have the Armasight predator mounted to my Sig551a1. I use the predator a lot at work for area searches and some wildlife watching with mountain lions and deer.
June 29, 2018, 03:52 PM
Voshterkoff
It wasn't all that long ago that entry level was at a $10,000 price point. Yotes across the country should be afraid.
July 03, 2018, 01:43 PM
slyguy
Nice setup, but where's the range report?

jabbing ya -

It's definitely time the price point on these gets down to where more people can start to acquire them.

Cheers~
July 03, 2018, 08:01 PM
Andyb
To answer a few questions, the unit costs a little over 2k.

I haven't been able to shoot with it yet but I have spent a few hours using it around the neighborhood and on a friends land. I like it a lot. Controls/buttons are intuitive and battery life isn't bad. Aftermarket options are also available now that really extend the life. I'm trying to figure out how to pull some photos off it and I'll share them here once I figure that out (using a mac, looks like I might have to wait until I can use a windows based computer)

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."