SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sporting clays guys - what do you like for choke tubes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting clays guys - what do you like for choke tubes? Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted
I’d like to get a set of extended choke tubes for my Beretta Silver Pigeon 12 ga. What brand do you like and why?

I’ve tried some Trulock chokes in another shotgun, and they tend to come lose, frequently. I like them but am constantly tightening them.

Thanks for you recommendations!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put enough rounds down range, change your choke tubes here & there, and eventually all choke tubes will loosen up a bit. Even the ones that "guarantee" that they won't loosen when tightened by hand.

Briley is likely the largest manufacturer of chokes out there. They make a lot of chokes for other companies, with those chokes being rebranded in name.

The cheapest chokes sometimes don't produce the best shot patterns, due to inconsistent interior tapers and diameters. The most expensive chokes tend to be a little lighter, but honestly a few grams here and there don't make an effective difference in swing weight.

I recommend Beretta or Briley tubes. Don't get too excited about have a big fleet of various constrictions -- I made and held Master Class with almost every shot being IC, LM, or M.

And use a tube wrench to keep your tubes tight.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Briley or the native Berettas.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Back in my sporting clay tournament years Briley was king. The diffuser model was my favorite.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@ruger357: Seconded. Great choke.

Posts: 33 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I usually look to Trulock, mostly for hunting. I have not had problems with any coming loose, though I can see how any could.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, gents. Not really looking for the cheapest. I want a quality set.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I usually look to Trulock, mostly for hunting. I have not had problems with any coming loose, though I can see how any could.

Same here. Cant really comment on the clays aspect.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Briley chokes. SK under an IC pretty much put them in and forget about them. Muller chokes work well if you want something a little lighter. I have been tempted to to switch to an IC/LM combo, maybe this season Razz

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Beretta or Briley. And I use IC, LM, or M, for almost everything except skeet. Cylinder bore for skeet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muller chokes....

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The Briley chokes were tempting, but there was a 25% off President’s Day sale on the Beretta web site. So I ordered a set of their extended choke tubes for my SP1 Sporting. They should work fine. Thanks again for all your input.

Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Kerry Allor and Tom Wilkinson are the two best shotgun barrel guys in the country.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I like Carlson chokes for my trap gun. Better than Briley chokes, which have skinny threads and shoot loose. The Carlson chokes have thick threads and don't shoot lose, at least for my gun. The Carlson chokes pattern very evenly, and aren't expensive.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Yea, I had a set of Briley extended choke tubes for the Browning 325 I shot for years. They did tend to loosen up while shooting.

Anyway, I got the Beretta extended chokes, we’ll see how they work. Even got M and IM, so I can shoot some trap.

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I shoot factory Diana chokes on my browning, but if I where in the market I would definitely look at Muller chokes.

https://mullerchokes.com/pages...Kc3mXMsaAnFaEALw_wcB

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post