SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a 3x scope for AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a 3x scope for AR Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
As title says looking for a 3x scope for an AR, any recommendations.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got a Vortex Spitfire 3X prism scope on my first AR that I've been very pleased with...I usually leave the illumination turned off and just use the black retical...Primary Arms also makes a three power prism scope with a slightly different style retical...

https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...moa-prism-scope.html

Even though I don't have the Primary Arms scope, it gets good reviews...especially with the ACSS reticle...

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...6-nato-reticle-black

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Nikons 3x32 BDC is a nice compact scope on an AR.
I’ve had this for years & it’s been a solid close in scope.

I bought the PA2.5x ACSS Prism scope (now discontinued and replaced with their 3X model)
Really like this optic & my eyes & astigmatism appreciate it as well.
I added the American Defense Acog QD mount for $72.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
What is your budget?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TA-11 is my favorite. Huge eye box super good glass, rugged, and fairly compact. Just not cheap.

Posts: 1802 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My Burris AR-332 has been great. The thing I really like about it is that the reticle is etched so you don't need to use the illumination feature till it's dark out. It has held zero for 3 years now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...009512985?pid=525413

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I too have the Burris AR 332, and like it a lot.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris AR 332 on one of my AR's and a couple of the Nikon 3x32 BDC scopes as well. The Nikon's are considerable lighter in weight than the Burris, and also have a more traditional "plex" type reticle. The Burris is more of a dot/circle type reticle, but it works pretty well.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I have a Burris AR 332 on one of my AR's and a couple of the Nikon 3x32 BDC scopes as well. The Nikon's are considerable lighter in weight than the Burris, and also have a more traditional "plex" type reticle. The Burris is more of a dot/circle type reticle, but it works pretty well.

The only complaint I have with the Burris is that it is a little on the heavy side, but that is because it's built like a tank. I think of the reticle as being more of a tactical type as opposed to a target type reticle and I pick up the target faster with it than a plex reticle. It all depends what the use of the AR will be.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
TA-11 is my favorite. Huge eye box super good glass, rugged, and fairly compact. Just not cheap.

X2.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of the rifle?

3x is an odd spec on the era of really decent 1-6x LPVOs for relatively low coin.

I would consider a red dot with flip magnifier if you're looking for a general purpose, closer range application. I have been impressed with the clarity of the glass on Holosun's offering.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'd just go with a PA or Vortex Prism optic of some sort.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post